Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #321 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah the hendra male is the same. He is only slightly bigger than an inch in size. I got three pairs from the same seller and they are much smaller than my other wilds who generally sit around the 2 inch mark (although my unimaculata pair are closer to 4 inches).

The apiapi are supposedly the smallest of the wild betta species so only time will tell whether they get any bigger.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #322 
LittleBettaFish

Well some good news. My new pair of Betta sp. apiapi have got a bubblenest in one of the film canisters. Unfortunately, the angle it was at made it difficult to see and I kept spooking them when I tried to look in. Now it is turned around so it is easier for me to have a look so hopefully with this nest being built I might see some spawning happening.

Would be so awesome to have a species no one in my country has owned before and get them to spawn within a couple days of arriving at my home.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #323 
LittleBettaFish

Well this pair are spawning. Male was upside down in his film canister after he stunned himself haha

They've been in there several hours already so hoping that I get some eggs unlike some of my other pairs *coughpersephonecough*.

My trio of Betta coccina are doing well. They are still covered with ich but they have all been eating and chasing each other around. I think I definitely have a female and a male. Just not sure on the identity of the third. I think it is a male as well based on the ventrals.

I would love to get this ich cleared up in the next couple of weeks so I can set up a proper tank for them rather than the one I just threw together the same day they arrived.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #324 
LittleBettaFish

I managed to get a successful spawning from my sp. apiapi pair. If this does turn out to be a new species it will most likely be the first time in Australia anyone has ever spawned them.

I saw eggs yesterday and male is still hanging under/in the film canister so I definitely think they are still in there. Because the tank is right next to my door I put up some 'privacy screens' on the side and back of the tank so as not to upset him.

His female definitely looks a lot less plump. I was surprised a fish her size could produce eggs that were probably on par with my much bigger coccina complex fish.

Did some long overdue water changes on my tanks yesterday, and none of my fish seemed to have an issue with me using water from my water aging tub. It was great as not only was the water already tinted with IAL and peat moss, but it was also at the perfect temperature so I didn't have to fiddle around with the taps.

I'm also looking into using rainwater. I was thinking something like 80% water from my water tub and 20% rainwater just because rainwater is going to be limited over the next few months as we start to get into the warmer weather.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for good digital pH meters so I can get accurate readings for my tanks, please let me know. I am trying to hold my pH stable in the 4.0-5.0 bracket and the API test kit is crap and doesn't measure that low.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #325 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's awesome you got a spawn!

I'm interested to see how rainwater works... It should come out fairly neutral with a low kh, right? That might be what I would need to use if I ever wanted to keep sort water fish. Except for the fact that we have snow here for half the year...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #326 
LittleBettaFish

I am thinking of putting a couple tubs out on my grandparents' farm as they live right up in the mountains and their tank water always tastes like I am drinking right out of a river (very earthy/pure). I was concerned about possible pollution, being only 20kms out of Melbourne.

I think depending on where you are the pH of rainwater can vary. But I would assume that it would have a fairly low KH with a sort of neutral/low pH. This is why it is used by people who keep softwater fish.

I was very chuffed with the spawn. I mean they were only here for two days or so before they spawned. Jodi-Lea keeps the wilds she has in awesome condition and I am glad they seem to like their tank as I believe they are wild-caught.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #327 
LittleBettaFish

Finally got a decent photo of my hendra female. I managed to lure her out into the open with grindals and then once the male moved out of the way, I got a nice full body shot of her.

This was what I had to work with...

Then she retreated up to the back near the sponge filter and I got this shot

My brownorum male is also hard to photograph and this would have been nice if he'd closed his mouth and my glass had been cleaner.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #328 
PetMania

Is he supposed to have that green spot? Otherwise, he's gorgeous.
Your bettas are livin' the life.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #329 
LittleBettaFish

Yep the green spot is characteristic of Betta brownorum and a couple other wild betta species. I love how it contrasts so sharply with the red.

Thanks. There are still some things I want to change about my tanks. In particular darker water and more plant mass, but for now they seem pretty happy.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #330 
LittleBettaFish

I did something really dumb last night.

I found a whole heap of live bloodworms in my outside tub yesterday evening so I scooped them out and put them into my apiapi tank for the female to hunt down.

Only when I looked in I could not see the female anywhere. It was then I noticed a small hole near one of the cords and I started to freak out.

At first I just pulled out some moss and IALs. However, when the female still failed to turn up, I removed the sponge filter to have a look inside and took out the java fern clumps she liked to hide in.

By now I was really thinking she had somehow jumped out. This was when I decided it would be a good idea to tip out the male and his nest of eggs to make sure that the female wasn't in with him. Unfortunately, the only thing that fell out was the male and his nest of eggs.

By this stage I had written my eulogy for the female as I had taken almost everything out of the tank, and I thought it was impossible for even a small fish like her to still be hidden.

Turns out I was wrong.

The whole time the female was hiding in a small piece of java moss I had checked over but not removed from the tank. So I had tore apart the tank and disturbed the male and his nest for absolutely nothing. Fortunately, by the time I put the towel over the top of their tank (so they don't spook in the night) and went to bed, the male appeared to have settled down and was back to tending his nest. At least I suppose I got a good look at the eggs and there are a lot more than I originally thought.

This was my apiapi female after I put everything back in the tank. I swear wild bettas can turn themselves invisible. I manage to lose and find at least one fish a day in some of my tanks haha