Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #331 
LittleBettaFish

I got some photos of my coccina group (I think it is the same fish in all three photos) as they are starting to recover from the ich. Before, they were very uncomfortable with lots of clamping and flashing. However, as the infection is starting to respond to treatment they are behaving a lot more like normal fish.

I couldn't believe how bad the infection was on these three. Fortunately, my quarantine procedure is very strict (every tank has its own individual bucket/siphon, tanks with ill fish get left to last, and hands are washed with soap and hot water in between each tank) as I learned my lesson last time with introducing new fish directly into my tanks.

There is also a tiny brownorum in there with them. I'm really not at all sure on the gender of it. I was initially thinking female but it doesn't seem as plump as my female brownorum have been in the past and something about it just says male. It would be a heck of a lot easier to sex these fish if they were a colour that allowed me to spot ovaries.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #332 
LittleBettaFish

I have tails in my Betta sp. apiapi nest!! The eggs are just starting to hatch out (with the lower temperatures I keep my wild tanks at it takes a little longer) and the male and female have been doing some flaring and displaying this afternoon, so I think it may not be long before I have another batch of eggs on my hands.

Until I learn otherwise or until this is proven to be an already existing species, I am the first person in Australia to successfully breed this fish. Now the female just needs to be good and not hunt the fry down once they become free-swimming.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #333 
Skyewillow

Congratulations! That's fantastic news!!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #334 
LittleBettaFish

Well this morning some of the apiapi fry were slightly outside of the film canister, but once the lights were on and everyone was awake, the male moved the stragglers back in. This is a picture of the nest taken from above to show what I am talking about when I mention film canisters. These are actually diabetes medication canisters kindly donated by my second cousin's wife, but they work the same.

Then I also have another nest full of eggs from my stiktos pair. They are such an odd couple. The male just builds his nest wherever and never has any issues with me doing anything with it. The female comes up from time to time to flare at him and chase him/be chased by him but there is never any real aggression between them. The splendens complex is supposed to be one of the most aggressive and yet these two are one of my most docile pairs.

I decided it might be nice to get some more photos of my brownorum pair before my camera battery died. However, I got this one shot of the female before I was interrupted by my hendra pair.

The hendra pair demanded that I take photos of them and so I had no choice but to comply haha

It's amazing the change in the female. A week or so ago I barely saw her, but now as soon as the lights come on she is out and about.

I also took this photo of my unimaculata tank. There are maybe a couple dozen fry in there with the female and the male who has a mouthful of eggs. I actually removed quite a bit of moss from this tank and it has grown back surprisingly fast.

So far the plan over the next couple of weeks, is to sell three pairs of persephone. Then I want to invest that money into purchasing more live plants (particularly java fern) for my tanks.

I want to completely eradicate the ich in my coccina tank and the ich in my spare male tank and get both of these tanks set up properly.

I also want to look into selling off or trading in my biggest A. australe pairs so that I can put that money towards my wilds as well.

I also need to set-up a proper tub to harvest mosquito larvae from as my pond tub isn't cutting it in terms of numbers.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #335 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hey LBF, just wanted to say that I heard about your loss and that I'm very sorry. What species was it? How many? Was the heater he same brand that fried your macrostomas?

Equipment malfunction is one of my biggest fears since you have no control over it, and it basically happens instantly.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #336 
LittleBettaFish

It was my burdigala tank. So counting the bodies it was about 30 fish of various ages. Only three of them hadn't been bred by me.

It was one of my Eheim Jagers so yes it was the same brand. I find when they malfunction rather than just stop heating like one of the cheaper brands here does, they tend to overheat.

I don't know what caused it. Probably this cursed house I live in. One day I am going to pile all my stuff out on the lawn and burn the damn thing to the ground.

I wish I lived in the tropics where heaters were not necessary.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #337 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm a design engineer. I'm here to tell you that any company that releases a heater that breaks in the ON position should be sued. There is a way of making sure that, if it malfunctions, it tuns itself OFF.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #338 
Chesh

Ug, I agree! One of my biggest fears, too. . . I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this more than once, LBF. T.T

On a brighter note, the new shots are stunning - and congrats on a possible first breeding! VERY exciting news - and gorgeous fish!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #339 
LittleBettaFish

I have found my Aqua One brand heaters (not sure if they have this brand in the US but I know they do in the UK) will just suddenly stop heating. However, based on what I have read on other forums and my own experience, the Eheim Jagers seem to do the opposite.

Apart from losing my burdigala, the rest of my fish are doing okay. Since my persephone pair I had separated are a failure, I am not sure whether to select another pair or separate out the single rutilans sp. cf. green female I have with one of the older males and instead try and get a spawn from them. I would love to determine with an F2 generation, whether the mouthbrooding truly is genetic or environmental, as I have a feeling this may one day be described as a species separate from standard rutilans.

My ich infected coccina are almost completely recovered. It's been almost two weeks with heat and Protozin treatment and everyone looks a lot better than they did when they arrived here.

It's so great watching them slowly start to act like fish again. I got these photos yesterday of the dominant/biggest male. These are just 'aquarium strain' coccina without a locality name and so I would like to one day have a pair of wild-caught or captive bred fish that are from an individual breeder versus one of the Australian wholesalers.

This was the first ever species I owned and talk about baptism by fire! Oddly enough my coccina and my rutilans sp. cf. green actually seemed to have less problems in the early days when I knew nothing, than they do now. I actually never used to put lids or anything on those two tanks and for at least a year none of them ever jumped out. I look back now and cringe to think that I did that.

I also got this photo of my sp. apiapi female on the hunt. I have been harvesting smaller mosquito larvae for her to eat (she is only maybe an inch total length) and so she is always lurking either on the bottom or up at the surface looking for food.

I wish the male would at least give me one good shot but he is too busy with his eggs/fry. They were courting the other day in the main part of the tank and I am bummed that I didn't get a photo of them both looking their best.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #340 
LittleBettaFish

Well I thought my apiapi male had eaten his most recent batch of eggs because my cat spooked him while he was in the film canister and when I checked on him this morning he had completely abandoned the nest and there were no eggs present.

That was until I saw him frantically hunting around under the light clamp. Turns out rather than build his nest in the second film canister, he chose to do it in the space between the light clamp and the back glass of the tank.

I suppose it is a rather safe spot for a nest and it's out of the way so he won't be disturbed.

So far my hendra pair resist my attempts to get them interested in even the possibility of giving me a spawn. The male was not very impressed with his 'rival' even after a bribe of blackworms and grindals.