Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #351 
LittleBettaFish

Haha yeah I know. It just is frustrating when you do everything right and things still go wrong.

I mean my fish must be healthy and happy if they are regularly spawning. These are not fish you can just put into a tank and they will spawn. Yet I still get this bloody velvet popping up in tanks that have never even been infected before.

This is why my plan is to purchase a digital pH meter and new GH and KH test kits and figure out if there is something amiss with my parameters. I also want to be able to compare the difference between my tank water and the water in my 'aging' tub. I want to try and get these as close as possible and with my current crappy API pH test kit and lack of hardness test kits, it is making that very difficult.

Then I am just going to stuff each tank so full of water sprite, duckweed, hydrilla and water grass that I can get away with doing very small water changes once a week or so.

Otherwise I am all out of ideas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #352 
LittleBettaFish

Well today I went to the aquarium, got three packets of java moss and two medium sized java ferns. I intended on putting one of the ferns in my hendra tank because I thought that might make them feel more comfortable and incite some spawning, but they must have felt comfortable enough as they were spawning when I got home.

So I put one of the java ferns in my brownorum tank as seen below.

The pair were happy with that and after a quick meal of live brine shrimp they were off having a flare and an explore.

Then I decided to put the remaining java fern and moss in my persephone tank as some of the males have been dominating and harassing others. Of course now they all decide to fight over who gets top position in the new plants!

Ignore the glad wrap and position of the plants. Eventually I want to get rid of the wood and just have this tank with moss, java fern, mayaca and water sprite. But I don't quite have enough plants to do that yet.

At least I suppose this will keep them occupied for a while now.

My stiktos pair are also spawning again. The male and female broke off to greet me and have a snack of brine shrimp and then they were right back into it. I love how casual an affair spawning often is in my tanks.

The plan is to order some bunches of water sprite online (no stores seem to stock it) and a couple more java fern just to provide cover in the middle section of the tanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #353 
LittleBettaFish

Finally got some shots of my apiapi male. He seems to like hanging out at the front in the morning so as soon as I realised it was him and not my female I rushed over and took whatever photos I could.

He has some fry in his nest so he has been fairly pre-occupied with them. Both him and his female are absolutely stunning. The red on their bodies is so flat without any iridescence, and I love his spade tail.

I did think I lost them yesterday though. Turns out they were just both in the film canister that faces the other way so I couldn't see them.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #354 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #355 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks DramaQueen. He has been busy this past week looking after his fry.

I hope he and his female don't get much bigger as they are so adorable at their present size.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #356 
LittleBettaFish

Well I was wondering where my apiapi pair had gone to. Turns out they were spawning in their canister. This is their third consecutive spawn.

This morning I saw a number of fry from their first spawn swimming in the tank and dropped some microworms in. I am hoping the microworms along with the infusoria in the tank will hold most of them over until they are big enough for BBS.

My hendra male is doing a great job watching his nest. It is good having a male so relaxed in my presence as it means I can turn on the light or have a look at how the eggs are going without spooking him. This is his nest he has built. It spans out from the film canister and is pretty impressive for a coccina complex species as usually they string together a few bubbles and call it good.

My unimaculata male and female were courting this morning. He only just released his last lot of fry, and she's already hassling him to spawn.

Therefore, the male was a lot more coloured up than he usually is. He goes almost black and the blue scales and sheen intensify much more when he is in breeding dress.

His female resembles a blimp at the moment. That is a combination of food and eggs.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #357 
LittleBettaFish

I was downstairs, and decided to take some photos of my three goldfish as I rarely pay them much mind apart from water changes and feeding.

My original fish

My original fish with its similar looking companion

This is my weird looking shubunkin. It doesn't really seem to grow as fast as the other two and it has always swam on sort of a tilt.

Then my other silvery coloured one (I'm sure there is some proper goldfish term used to describe this colour)

The oldest shubunkin above, is what originally got me into serious fishkeeping. About three years ago, my dad moved interstate and left me in charge of looking after his goldfish tank.

My dad had I think around five goldfish in a tank that couldn't be any bigger than 15 gallons. It ran an UGF, which my dad kindly cleaned along with the gravel in tap water and then bleach. When one of the goldfish developed dropsy, I did some research online and realised why when I was a kid all our goldfish seemed to die horrible deaths. Back then, we relied on what the fish store owner told us, and I didn't have the luxury of a whole Internet worth of information at my fingertips.

Because the tank was now trying to cycle, I ended up with only two survivors. The shubunkin I have now, and a black moor who later died under very mysterious circumstances. These two were moved from their 15 gallon tank into our previous goldfish tank which I think was around 35 gallons. Still not ideal, but with appropriate filtration and twice weekly water changes I suppose it was better than the fate awaiting most $5 pet store goldfish.

I picked up two smaller shubunkin to keep my original fish company after the black moor died. By now the original shubunkin was in a 46 gallon tank and this is where the three of them have been since. I keep up with the water changes and they are on a combination of NLS pellets and frozen/live foods. I will readily admit that the previous bad care and current conditions have stunted their growth, but even so, they still all measure in at around 7-8 inches from head to tail.

However, we have a new 4x2x2ft tank on order that these three are going to hopefully get moved into in November of this year (when the tank is supposed to arrive). This time I will be purchasing one or two canister filters rather than the four large internal filters I rely on now. This tank will be where these fish spend the rest of their lives unless we move to a place with space to build a fish friendly pond.

Most likely people will call me a hypocrite as I often express the opinion that bigger is better on this forum. However, in my view, there is a vast difference between being able to find the space for a 5 gallon tank, and being able to find the space for a 100 plus gallon tank. Particularly when I don't own the home I live in, and rely on the saintly patience of my mother when it comes to housing my fish.

Owning these fish has shown me how big a commitment goldfish truly are. I cringe when I see threads on here where people own goldfish and think a 30 gallon tank is sufficient to keep these fish in for life.

My goldfish are most likely never going to grow to their maximum potential size. However, they still manage to make a 46 gallon tank look cramped.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #358 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your fish look great. I love the apiapi male.

I *might* have found a Canadian with some channoides. I was scouring over the internet and I ended up joining a UK (I think) based forum to contact a Canadian member who had posted pictures of a bunch of mouthbrooder species earlier this year... Fingers crossed.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #359 
LittleBettaFish

That would be great if you could find a Canadian with channoides. Have you ever tried just posting on the IBC SMP Facebook page asking if any Canadians keep/breed them?

The apiapi pair are such lovely fish, particularly the male when he is out and about. Definitely a lot more eggs in the nest this time around.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #360 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like your goldfish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote