Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #361 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I have sort of a love/hate relationship with my goldfish. I always think they are basically on the opposite end of the spectrum from my wild bettas in regards to care, behaviour and size.

I have some good news in that my hendra fry have hatched overnight! I always think this stage separates the good fathers from the bad fathers. It's a lot of work making sure the fry are secure in the nest at all times.

I am avoiding doing any water changes on the hendra tank, apiapi tank and brownorum tank. It seems this is where things start to go wrong when I have fry present in the tank and so at the moment I am just going to let the plants take care of what ammonia there is.

However, of late, I have been doing some reading up on TDS and aquariums, and I am wondering if this is something that poses a problem for the health of my fish.

Melbourne tap water is generally considered quite soft, but we do have several catchments with varying parameters and I am not sure what catchment our water actually comes from. I got the results below for the TDS (measured in mg/L) for all the catchment areas that supply water to Melbourne and I am not certain whether these are too high for fish that require extremely soft water with negligible mineral content.

Total dissolved solids​ 39​ 53​ 36​ 89​ 109​ 100​

I noticed peat moss was mentioned as a way of lowering the TDS and I do several filter bags worth of it in my water aging tub. I am also considering making some peat balls and placing these in each of my tanks, as I do notice that peat moss is also very beneficial in darkening the water and encouraging the growth of infusoria.

I also have my dad onto harvesting rainwater for me so I am going to trial that out. I was worried about pollutants as we are not that far out of the city (20km) but do live in the 'green wedge' of Melbourne so lots of established trees and hectares of parks nearby. However, a wild betta keeper in Perth uses rainwater and lives 9kms from the city and he said he had worse problems with tap than rainwater.

I am hoping we get a few more rainy days so I can at least get a few buckets of rainwater to test out. Be interesting to test the pH and softness of the rainwater in comparison to the water in my tanks and that coming out of the tap.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #362 
LittleBettaFish

My rutilans sp. cf. green were in excellent form this morning. I managed to get some nice action shots of two of the older males sparring. This species actually does get very physical at times, and with over 15 males sharing a tank there are times when things get hostile.

Younger fish thinking I was coming to feed them

Young male on left with what I believe is my only female on right

Young male flaring at his sister

More serious display

This is actually two fish

This was just after they'd given each other a few bites

Back to displaying again

Then I got this lovely shot of my hendra male tending to his nest. Unfortunately, you can't see the nest as the flash obscured it.

I also got a quick photo of my persephone sparring. I think it will be better once I sell those three pairs. Some of the fish in this tank have become quite elusive and I think it is because of a handful of dominant males that harass everyone else.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #363 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I love reading this journal, LBF. Your writing has such artless immediacy, it just grabs my interest. Just captivating. Puts me right there, identifying with everything you do.

And your photography is just splendid. Thanks for keeping the pictures small enough to fit on my page and to load in a reasonable time.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #364 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks Hallyx. I just love to blather on about my fish (don't we all?) and this is a good place to concentrate my blathering.

I hate really big photos when they take forever to load and stretch the page, so I always resize mine.

I am sort of a 'fly by the seat of one's pants' photographer in that I will look up, see my fish doing something interesting and immediately run and grab mum's camera, which conveniently now lives in my wardrobe.

I always am glad to know people are reading this journal as wild bettas need as much flogging to the public as they can get.

This was the final photo I got of my rutilans males before they decided to vanish into the java moss.

Then I caught my apiapi female at the front of the tank eating the grindals I put in. This pair are the very first fish I go and check on when I get up in the morning, and will remain in my bedroom when all the other fish are shifted downstairs.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #365 
LittleBettaFish

Well my sp. apiapi male has now found international fame after being posted on a German based labyrinth fish FB page. Of course the owner asked me for permission prior to posting my photo up.

A group of their fry were out this morning at the front of the tank. They are already bigger than their younger siblings, and they were actively eating the microworms I put in. Hopefully soon I can make the transition over to BBS soon.

After discussing velvet with Rickey in the disease part of the forum, I went out and purchased two new nets. I like to harvest my mosquito larvae with a net, and was concerned about the possibility of spreading velvet further by using possibly contaminated nets to do so.

Unfortunately, it has been so cold here still that the mosquito population hasn't quite taken off. I'm hoping that with a few warm days I can get some decent numbers of larvae in my tub to feed my fish with.

I've also been busy collecting alder cones from three alder trees, and brewing up some blackwater extract for my tanks.

I meant to get some cheap stockings last night while I was at the supermarket to cut up and make some 'peat balls' out of. I've already hacked up all my previous stockings for various projects and I don't think mum is going to lend me any of her good ones haha

I'm hoping this weekend I can get two pairs of my persephone sold as I want to put the money towards some watersprite, java fern, hornwort and frogbit for my tanks. I'm still not certain about whether to only retain 2-3 pairs of persephone and sell off my excess males. They don't seem to live as harmoniously together as my group of rutilans males do, but even for the most beautiful and rare of wild betta species, unless you are selling them as a breeding pair people tend not to want to buy.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #366 
Hallyx
Reference Team

What is that device your aplapi girl is focusing on in post #364?

I'd love to take a couple of persephone males off your hands. I just do pets, anyway.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #367 
Weaver

Awww! the apiapi male is an super-star now! Good luck with the sale of the Persephone's. ;)

Oh gosh, don't ask me ever about using hose and stockings... I'm an amateur costumer for our community theater and since we cannot buy wig-caps: I chop up stockings for them. XD
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #368 
LittleBettaFish

Well I've had a very upsetting past day and a half. Our old cat who has a number of issues took a turn for the worst yesterday afternoon, and by this morning was gravely ill. He was very dehydrated, extremely weak and was non-responsive to anything but touch or a loud voice.

My mum had a meeting she had to attend at work and then she took the rest of the day off, dashed madly home and drove him to the vet.

When we got him to the vet his heart rate was extremely low. He is now staying at the vets on fluids and hopefully they can stabilise him enough to find out what is wrong. I am just praying he will pull through this and be okay. If not we are going to have to make the decision to have him put to sleep. It's not fair to have him keep crashing like this and have to keep going to the vet every few months.

Hallyx, that is the end of the heater the apiapi female is in front of. It's the only way I can fit it in the tank and have the cord reach the powerboard.

It also might be a bit hard to send you some persephone as I am in Australia and I assume you are overseas based on the demographics of most members on this forum.

Yeah I am a notorious stocking hacker. I don't even wait for them to develop holes or runs I just go right ahead and cut them to pieces. I will have to put a couple of pairs on next week's shopping list.

My brownorum pair were flirting this afternoon. The female had her breeding bars on and the male was trying to lead her into the film canister even though he has no nest. Be excellent if I could get a successful spawn from this pair as I know several people with brownorum pairs who have never had any luck with theirs.

My coccina still seem to be doing well. The female was barred up and in full colour yesterday displaying to the dominant male so who knows, could be a future spawn in the works once I separate the other male and the lone brownorum out.

This was the female giving me a good photo of her for once. I wish these fish had a richer colouring. I don't know what strain they are but the colouration is not as nice as pictures I have seen online or of the group I owned previously.

Then I discovered today my apiapi female takes NLS .5mm pellets! I thought she would ignore them but she seems willing to try anything once. She also ate a couple of blackworms and the grindals I put in for the male. Undoubtedly she is going to give him another nestful of fry soon.

Their fry are doing great. I am so nervous about these and the hendra fry showing any signs of velvet. Since fry seem to be the most susceptible to getting it in my fish room I am going to be devastated if it crops up in either tank. I have been so careful and have changed my whole maintenance routine in order to prevent infection that I would seriously have to consider my future in the hobby.

They have been eating the microworms I put in, and I also seeded the tank with water from my outside tub which contains a lot of infusoria/microorganisms. I am going to be setting up my BBS hatchery on the weekend and will start giving them daily feedings for the next month or so.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #369 
LittleBettaFish

More photos of my apiapi female because she is almost always at the front of the tank searching for food and makes for an easier subject than the male. The male was very interested in her this morning, so I think my predictions may be correct.

The fry seem to be getting really big. But that may just be because this pair are so small they don't have to grow very much to be at adult size.

Our old cat has apparently been stabilised at the vets. He has perked up from the fluids and put some weight on. The vet left a message for my mum last night and the only concerning thing is there have been some changes in his kidneys. The vet opens at 10am this morning so hoping to hear in a couple of hours about what exactly is wrong.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #370 
LittleBettaFish

Free-swimming Betta hendra fry!

Neither parent has shown any interest in eating them so hopefully this continues to be the case. If I could get these fry to adulthood without any issues it would just be so great. So much has gone wrong for me in this hobby over the past year, so to have something actually turn out right for once would be unbelievable.

My brownorum pair are being fish of mystery today so who knows what they are plotting. I want to purchased some more IAL so I can steep up a strong tea and use it to tint the water in their tank.

I went over to my neighbour's house this morning to net some mosquito larvae for my wilds. Her place is like a mosquito breeding factory. I ended up with heaps. I don't know what the neighbours across the road think when they see me go over with my tupperware container and fish net though!

Also our cat will live. We should be picking him up tomorrow at 3:30pm. He was so close to death when we took him in and the vet still isn't sure why he just randomly crashes like. She thinks it might just be an age thing as his kidneys don't appear to be failing or anything.

I have never felt so helpless as I did yesterday watching my old cat almost become comatose and praying he could hold on until mum arrived to take him to the vet.

I have issues with anxiety and learning to driving a car is one of the biggest hurdles I have faced in regards to this. However, this is the second time I have been unable to get a sick animal to the vet and so it has given me the boot up the backside I need to get my license and learn how to drive.