Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #371 
Skyewillow

I'm glad to hear that your cat will be ok. I hate that feeling of helplessness that can come from not being able to act in an emergency.

I hate driving, my anxiety makes it bad enough that I have to take someone with me if I'm going somewhere I'm not entirely familiar with. bleh
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #372 
LittleBettaFish

Turns out we may not be picking Bandit up tomorrow. The vet suspects it is pancreatitis rearing its ugly head again and this is what caused him to become so sick. His kidney levels are higher than they should be as well and though they have come down they are not in a normal range.

So he may have to stay the weekend at the vet clinic as the vet wants to keep up the fluids and make sure he is fully recovered before coming home.

Learning to drive is going to be a slow and painful process for me. I am not even going to book any lessons (sitting in an enclosed space with a complete stranger is not something I am particularly looking forward to) until I can competently drive my mum's car without crashing it.

We also found a baby bird this evening while out biking the dogs. It was only very young with hardly any feathers and it was sitting in the grass alongside a busy footpath where people let their dogs off-lead. The nest was too high for my dad to reach even with a ladder so me and my mum took it home to keep it safe.

We rang the local vet but they were closing by the time we got back to the car and so if the bird survives through the night it will be going there tomorrow morning.

The poor thing was half-dead when we got it home. However, after being warmed up in its sheepskin 'nest' it perked right up and ate some tinned cat food.

I am hoping it doesn't have internal injuries and that the people at the vet are actually going to give it to a wildlife carer rather than just put it down. It is a native bird but I'm not really sure what their policies in regards to wildlife are.

I still remember the one time my mum didn't want to pick up this baby bird we found while out walking. We had just gone a few steps when we look back and see the dog of the man behind us attacking it! He didn't even stop and while the bird was still alive when we brought it back to our house it died shortly afterwards.

I'm glad mum agreed to take this one as I didn't want to be in bed tonight wondering what had happened to it. At least if it passes during the night, it is some place warm and safe.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #373 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, poor little bird! I'm glad you took it to give it a chance to survive.keep us posted.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #374 
Skyewillow

LBF, rescuing all sorts of wildlife! ^_^

How is the wee bird doing today? Did he make it through the night?
Also, how is your elderly gent?
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #375 
LittleBettaFish

Okay, bird survived the night and was very ravenous once it warmed up. We took it to our local vet in the morning and they were rather useless. The receptionist recommended ringing the wildlife people or trying to put it back in its nest, but kept saying how young it was and that no carers would probably take on a bird this young. They said they couldn't do much with it even though the person mum spoke to last night said to bring it in.

So anyway the baby bird then came with us in the car for all our errands so mum could feed it as we were gone several hours.

On the way home we decided to stop in to visit Bandit (he is at a different vet), as he is going to be staying until Monday on fluids. The vet was reluctant to send him home as he is still not 100% and we both agreed we would rather be safe than sorry. As it turned out, one of the receptionists there had actually done a wildlife carer's course or something like that and so she had a look at the bird.

We purchased some insectivore bird rearing mix to feed it, and mum is going to ring the wildlife people and see what they say. I know legally you are not meant to raise native wildlife, but honestly if their answer is that they are just going to euthanise it, we would rather give it a shot at life considering it has made it this far.

We have successfully reared a couple of wild bird chicks in the past so we aren't bumbling our way through. The only thing that does concern me is aspiration pneumonia so we are just going slow and steady with the feedings.

I can just see us on the news now being raided by the wildlife people.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #376 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I am not a big fan of agencies and their drones. Even people who do care are often overwhelmed with regulations and procedures they must follow to keep their jobs. Nor are they above prevaricating should it suit their agenda....if you know what I mean.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #377 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he/she is better today. Poor little thing! I say keep it, take care of it and release it when it gets old enough to be on it's own.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #378 
LittleBettaFish

Well we are going to contact the wildlife people today and see what they advise us to do. If there is a carer willing to take the bird and raise it then we will definitely give it to them.

There seems to be about a hundred things that can go wrong hand-feeding baby birds and aspiration pneumonia seems to be the main one. I think me and a friend aspirated a sick chick in the past while trying to help it out and so I don't want to do the same thing to this one as that would be horrible.

Otherwise had two people come over that I know from another forum/FB and purchase the two persephone pairs. I am thinking of possibly using some of the sale money to purchase a pair of Betta rutilans and the the rest on live plants, but I am not 100% certain. I am hoping the guy who I have reserved a third pair for wants to purchase them soon as that will be some more money in my pocket.

I also have a whole heap of killifish pairs ready for new homes so I think I could move at least a handful on at $10 a pair.

I woke up this morning and both my brownorum and hendra pairs were putting on a show. Of course being the fish nerd I am, I automatically got the camera and tried to get a few shots. The colours on the female hendra are just simply superb. I could easily watch these fish all day.

The photos of the brownorum pair are not as nice because they were moving around a lot and my camera was having some difficulty focussing on them.

Plan for next week is to get more plants, move a couple of tanks around, and replace the top shelf on my rack as it got wet and I am afraid it is going to buckle under the weight of the tanks on there.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #379 
LittleBettaFish

Well as an update on the bird, we went and had a look at the nest yesterday as mum called the wildlife rescue people. Apparently being from the magpie family, the parent birds would stay around the nest site for a week or so even if there weren't any other chicks. I found this rather dubious but we went anyway and had a look.

Me and mum didn't want to just dump the baby bird in the nest (I have called it Sir Cheeps-A-Lot) and walk off thinking it was okay if there weren't any parents there.

We had a closer look at the nest and it looks like it had collapsed and that is why Sir-Cheeps-A-Lot was on the ground. There was also not a single sign of any parent birds around even though my dad was there for just under half an hour and my mum was also standing around looking while we biked the dogs.

Sir-Cheeps-A-Lot is doing well. Feathers are growing in on its back and it was flapping its wings yesterday and grooming itself. Every time you open the door now it starts cheeping for its food. I still worry about aspiration pneumonia or these million other things like sour crop and bacterial infections that can arise from hand-rearing chicks. A site mentioned listening to their breathing so I am trying to do that and all Sir-Cheeps-A-Lot wants to do is get in under my hair and make cheeping noises! I also have this fear that the cats have somehow gotten into the room with it so I spend half my day running around the house doing head-counts.

Onto the fish side of things, I 'accidentally' emailed Jodi-Lea about a pair of Betta rutilans. Don't know how that happened. One moment I was checking my bank account online and the next minute I had sent an email off.

I decided I am going to be setting up a tub pond in the yard for some spare bunches of Asian watergrass. It is so fast growing and a great plant to use in grow-outs/betta tanks that I hope to be able to sell some bunches of it to help put money towards buying live foods each month for my fish.

I also want to move my persephone group back into their 3ft long tank. Since my burdigala died I have more room on my rack and I think that tank was better suited to the group than the one they are in now. I intend on filling it with java moss, watersprite, frogbit, java fern and duckweed, so the less aggressive fish don't have to just sit on the bottom of the tank to avoid being harassed.

My rutilans sp. cf. green tank is also due for an overhaul but they have to wait until I do my plant order later this week.

I am going to have to drain both these tanks anyway as the top shelf on my rack needs replacing due to water damage and I don't want to leave it any longer as it's not very safe.

I've been slack with photos. Hopefully once my rack is back to how I want it to look, I will get some photos of everyone then.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #380 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your an awesome person, LBF. Legal or not, if no one else with more experience will do anything you're doing the right thing. Good luck. And post pictures of him when you can.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote