Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #31 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. Feedback like that always makes me feel good as wild bettas are so underrated by a majority of people.

Dug out this photo of one of my channoides males (when I had them). Friendly and gentle little fish, and very prolific. Mine were like guppies! I had two males holding at the same time from one female. She had quite the appetite haha

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #32 
Chesh

Thank you so much for posting this image! He is STUNNING! I don't understand what there is NOT to love about these fish. . . Every new thing I learn just puts me farther under their spell. . . One day, when I get there, I hope that I am able to keep mine as well as you obviously are keeping yours. ^.^
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #33 
LittleBettaFish

Mine are currently debating how 'well' they are kept because they haven't been fed today haha.

There are so many species of betta outside of splendens that I think there is an option for everyone regardless of preference.

Most of the mouthbrooders (particularly the bigger species) tend to be pretty outgoing. I was playing with my unimaculata juveniles today by cupping my hand and letting them swim through it. They always have a fight over who gets to sit in there.

Here's my old albimarginata male telling a splendens off.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #34 
Chesh

Awwww, momma - don't starve those babies!

I think it's just that people don't know they're out there. I didn't. . .which is why I'm so happy to see you spreading the word on these amazing animals. I've been having a wonderful time learning about only a few of the many different species of Betta available, but not very often seen, in the hobby (by me, anyway). It's really hard to pick a favorite. . . I love interactive fish, feeding by hand and being a comfortable part in their world makes me sooooo happy! ^_^

Keep up the posting! This journal is just amazing! One day I'll get caught up, lol!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #35 
LittleBettaFish

How many burdigala can you fit into a 30x30x30cm cube (7 gallons)?

She who popped out all those eggs to make those fish haha

Then I finally got some decent shots of my tussyae male. He now shares a 10 gallon tank with a uberis male, two rutilans males and what I think is a brownorum male. He never sits still long enough for me to get a good photo of him, but since I moved him over into this new tank he is out all the time and always coloured up.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

Poor uberis female is looking extremely sick. She has what is basically pop-eye either because her immune system is shot to pieces and she picked up something bacterial, or because of the infection she looks like she has on her head.

I didn't realise how sick the poor girl wasm as she was looking quite good only a few days ago. I think she has scratched her face, gotten an infection and then her adult sons have attacked her as she has torn fins and they were chasing her around before I pulled her from the main tank.

I do not want to hit her with any strong medications as I am afraid at this point it will do more harm than good. Just going to see how she does with some epsom salt (apparently good for pop-eye), clean water and no one around to harass her.

If it doesn't start to clear up/show signs of improvement I may look into medicating.

Her hospital tank. It's on my bedside table so I can keep eyes on her.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #37 
Chesh

Poor little girl! :(
Hoping for a quick, and complete, recovery. . .
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #38 
LittleBettaFish

I am hoping that she gets better too. She swims around normally, but the wound on her head is just nasty and I think if I can get that to heal, she is going to recover. She's one of my favourite wilds as she has so much spunk and used to be the biggest pig. It's horrible seeing her go downhill like this so fast.

Here's a picture of one of her daughters. I thought she had three, but one turned out to be a young male and I don't see the other one enough to be able to tell. This daughter was supposed to be her replacement, but I didn't mean this soon! I've only had her four or five months.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #39 
LittleBettaFish

Well my uberis female is still hanging on! She hasn't eaten but there are blackworms in there for her if she feels hungry at any time. I put a sponge filter on low as the IAL was making her water cloudy, and she has no issue with getting to the surface to breathe.

Her eyes are not looking as bad in my opinion as what they were, and while the infection doesn't seem to be getting better, it doesn't look to be getting any worse.

Currently, she is just getting 50% daily water changes and aquarium salt as treatment. I noticed she still may have some ich from the original infection, but that will have to be the second step in treatment.

If she recovers, I will be removing her and her male to a separate tank of their own and letting her three sons and two daughters share a tank. She has kind of fallen in the pecking order and I think being constantly harassed hasn't really helped her get better.

Also have sold (well I think he is picking them up this weekend) three of my unimaculata juveniles. At this point, I just want them gone as they are too much hassle with water quality and jumping.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

Good news, the infection on the uberis female's head appears to be going down, and her eyes are nearly back to normal size. I thought she'd jumped out tonight but she was just hiding under an IAL. Amazing the places a wild betta can hide in a 2 gallon tank. Her sons and mate are waging war on each other so going to hopefully go to the aquarium on the weekend and pick up a big piece of goldvine to cut down and use in their tank.

Decided to move my rutilans juveniles up off my bottom shelf as it is too dark down there (really need some fluros for my rack) and they never come out. Now they are out and about and I can keep eyes on them a bit better.

Am pleasantly surprised to see that I may have around 7-8 (that I can count) females from what I thought was a male only burdigala spawn. Going to hold onto a couple pairs and then sell the rest. At least that is the plan but I will probably get all weepy and sentimental and want to keep them all haha.

Did manage to find these three a buyer. Hopefully he is coming around tomorrow to pick them up. Lost most of their siblings to some weird illness and will only have a runty female and the original male left. Going to hold onto her so he has company.

Seem to be having a good run in my fish room of late, so hopefully it continues.