Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #391 
LittleBettaFish

I am so peeved. I think either the male or female brownorum ate the fry! When I looked in yesterday there were a couple of fry hanging from the nest and when I look in this morning there is nothing and the male has lost all interest in the nest.

This species is so frustrating. I don't know what they require to get a successful spawn happening. All my other coccina species would be spawning up a storm in that set-up, but brownorum just seem to want something more.

The pair were being rather aggressive towards each other when I just fed them so they may spawn again but what's the point if it doesn't ever eventuate into free-swimming fry? I also can't separate out the parents because every time I start moving fish around I end up making them sick.

I am going to order a whole bunch of IAL online and brew up the most concentrated extract I can and add it to the tank. Maybe that will help get them in the mood.

In equally depressing news, my unimaculata pair and fry also look like they have velvet. I think the parents have had velvet in the past so this is not surprising. Honestly at this point I am sort of hoping my original stock don't live for years because they seem stuck in this perpetual cycle of being struck down with velvet every few months. It seems the only way I am going to be rid of it, is for those fish who are affected or have been affected in the past, die.

I've actually decided not to try and spawn my rutilans sp. cf. green because of this, and I now don't know what I am going to do with my sick unimaculata. Do I cull all the fry and focus on the parents or try and treat everyone even though it seems my success rate has been pretty dismal in that regard?

At least my sp. apiapi pair seems happy. I don't know where all these eggs come from. I hope that the velvet is just contained to tanks where fish have been afflicted in the past and doesn't infect any of my new pairs. Then I might just sell everything and throw the towel in for good.

I suppose I just have to try and focus on the positives at this point in the time.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #392 
LittleBettaFish

Well I have some eggs again in my brownorum tank. The male has nests everywhere so I think he has been moving them around as they weren't there this morning.

He was actively chasing the female away, which is better than my previous male ever managed. I will be monitoring these eggs a lot more closely this time around to see if the fry are being eaten and by whom.

My sp. apiapi male was out and about this morning and his female was very barred up. I think his last lot of fry are now free-swimming so I assume another spawn is on the way.

Their tank is looking basically how I wanted it to. I just want to get another bag of java moss from the aquarium I go to and then it will be perfect.

I also got this photo of my two coccina males (or at least I think the bottom one is male). I was surprised they were so close to each other as usually the smaller male gets chased off by everyone in that tank.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #393 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The tank and fish look great, as always. I hope you somehow manage to finally beat the velvet.

Do you find the dark water has any effect on plants?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #394 
LittleBettaFish

I don't really notice any affect on the growth of my plants. However, this is most likely because I use floating plants at the surface where the light is brightest, and then java fern and java moss underneath.

I think really the only way I am going to get rid of the velvet in my fish room is for all those fish that originally contracted it to die and then throw out any substrate/plants associated with them and sanitise the equipment and tanks with something like boiling water to kill it off.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #395 
LittleBettaFish

Brownorum male has over a dozen fry hanging from the nest. I have fed the female right up, covered both sides of the tank to stop the other fish from disturbing him, and I am hoping that these fry may actually reach the free-swimming stage.

His female is so hard to photograph. Just as I get the perfect shot lined up she moves. For some reason the camera hates to focus on her and her eye/head always end up blurry.

My hendra male is sporting a torn tail courtesy of his female. They still have lots of fry swimming around in their tank. I really have to clear a spot downstairs for my BBS hatchery as it is just too loud to have in my bedroom.

You can see how much duckweed is growing on the surface of both tanks. I want to get some java fern into the hendra tank, replace the old IAL in both tanks with new leaves and maybe looking at getting a few pieces of frogbit.

Now I am just procrastinating over doing water changes haha. I know I have to but there are just so many steps I have to go up and down to do them.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #396 
LittleBettaFish

Glad I put off purchasing java fern online. I just found a seller I have used before offering up a massive bunch of java fern (he said it is around a 10L bucket worth) for an insane price. I also got some java moss, a bunch of phillipine java fern and a bunch of needleleaf fern.

That amount of java fern and moss would definitely fill up all the tanks that need cover, and then all I want to buy is some hornwort (I am determined to get this to grow in my tanks) and some frogbit.

I put some film canisters in my rutilans and persephone tanks last night, and of course that is now where all the biggest males hang out. I'll be glad to get some cover into the persephone tank ASAP as it is really bare at the moment and far too easy for fish to start fights.

As I cleaned everyone's tanks last night and gave the glass a wipe down with some Windex this morning I am hoping to get some nice photos later today.

I'm wondering whether when I sell the two other persephone pairs, I can use the money to import in a pair of either uberis or burdigala from the seller who I got my brownorum, hendra and sp. apiapi pairs from. Would make for a nice Christmas/end-of-year present to myself haha.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #397 
LittleBettaFish

Brownorum fry are still there for the morning check.

I brewed up some really strong IAL extract yesterday so going to add a small amount to my brownorum and hendra tanks. I would like to have the water a little darker.

My persephone males have all claimed the one java fern in the tank as 'theirs' and so I can't wait until all the plants I purchased arrived. Most of the males have been tearing each other up so it would be good if they had more areas of cover they could use as individual territories.

This male is the worst in terms of damage

I also got some random photos of my rutilans.

Plans for this coming week are to completely overhaul my rutilans tank with new substrate and plants. I've got a whole heap of goldvine I pulled out of my wild betta tanks that I want to sell, and I also want to start advertising the biggest of my killifish pairs up for sale.

Today I have to convince mother dearest to drive me all the way into the city so I can pick up some live blackworms.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #398 
Skyewillow

What did you ultimately decide to do with the Unimaculatas; Are you treating them all, or culled the youngsters to focus on mom and dad?
I hope you can figure something out.

Speaking of your killies. I found a pair at an auction yesterday, so I picked them up. I'll be setting them up a tub later today, and I'm hoping to figure out how to make them a mop.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #399 
LittleBettaFish

No I haven't done anything yet. The fry are still eating, growing and swimming around normally so I think I will probably just try and treat them and the parents.

I have some free-swimming brownorum fry! Looking back I wonder if the previous group also became free-swimming overnight as it seems odd the male/female would suddenly eat them all after so many days.

This is the first time I've had brownorum fry for probably close to a year so really happy with that. I must have got the right pair and right conditions for them to feel amenable.

My plants got sent out yesterday but due to it being the Melbourne Cup holiday here, I don't think they will arrive until Wednesday. I can't wait, as most of my persephone males look like CTs at the moment.

What species of killifish did you get? Aphyosemion australe like mine or something else? Making mops is so easy. It's just wrapping yarn around something like a book. There are heaps of tutorials online.

Speaking of killifish, here are some updated photos of my sub-adults/juveniles/fry. The biggest are ready for sale now. I'm only going to keep one pair to live with the original male/female.

It's weird seeing those fish and knowing they were once eggs I picked off a spawning mop.

Also got some sad news on Bandit my cat. Turns out he does have cancer after all. He had some thickening of the intestines and the vet sent it off for a biopsy and it was lymphoma. Apparently we can treat it with steroids ($4 a tablet!) and if he responds well to the treatment and no other major hurdles come up, we could have another 2 or so years with him. Given his age and present medical problems, that was more time than I was expecting to have with him anyway.

So crossing our fingers Bandit responds well to this treatment once we start it and we will see the vet on Friday to discuss it all.

Other than that he is doing really well. I knew when he was trying to get in and eat Sir Cheeps-A-Lot (who is flying now) that he was feeling better than he has in several weeks.

Just need to keep him away from corn cobs.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #400 
Skyewillow

I'm thinking they're the same species.

(on a side note, I MADE the "tank" they're in for the photo)

The dingleberry male decided to go carpet surfing while I was dumping them into the tank, so I had to chase him... jerk. We're going to town tomorrow, I need to get stresscoat, and green yarn. Is there a certain kind/brand that you use?

I'll probably be bugging you about these guys too

I'm so sorry to hear about Bandit's cancer. He'll be in my thoughts this week in hopes that his meds work and won't make him sick. <3
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote