Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #401 
LittleBettaFish

Yep those as Aphyosemion australe 'gold'. They are really easy to spawn and if you keep them well-conditioned you may be quickly overrun by killifish fry. I stopped picking the eggs off my mops because I have so many in my grow-out tank.

They are jumpers so definitely recommend a cover.

I use green acrylic yarn to make my mops. No specific brand, just whatever was cheapest.

If you keep the male by himself (well with the female only) the white extensions on his caudal should get a lot longer.

My hendra pair were barred up and aggressive this morning so I wonder if they might spawn again soon. I like how prolific wilds are, but I just wish the fry grew faster.

I am hoping that Bandit responds to the medication. He has been eating and keeping food down since his operation to remove the corn cob, which is one-hundred times better than where he was before the surgery.

I don't actually know if it was better or worse to have a 'trial run' of what it is going to be like if he gets sick and has to be put down. Every night I think how fortunate I am to still have him sleeping at my feet.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #402 
Skyewillow

I currently have them in a 2.5 minibow with a modified lid (craft mesh glued over the gap in the back). I'll have to look that up tonight definitely, and I'm hoping to raise up a few eggs.

I don't know what's wrong with my younger spawn, they're just not growing like the desk ninjas are (which are getting huge), I'll be rehoming all but 1 of them next month.

Why did Bandit eat a corn cob??
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #403 
LittleBettaFish

Well Bandit is a food thief and because I put butter on my corn cobs they must smell nice to the cats.

He has grabbed a couple of corn cobs right out of my bowl in the past. But the last one he grabbed, he must have ingested a bit of the actual cob before I got it back off him and it caused a blockage in his intestines that we didn't notice until his second very recent near death experience.

Here is a photo of him just now, living the life of leisure with his stalker Rama.

Then there is Kannika who permits these two to dwell within her vast kingdom.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #404 
Skyewillow

Silly cats! Kannika is so beautiful!!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #405 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah she is stunning. Unfortunately, her personality is not as beautiful. She sleeps with my mum every night but I am more her person in that she will purr for me and not bite me if I do something like trim her nails. I'm not sure if that's because she genuinely has affection for me, or because I feed her haha

Poor Bandit has stitches right down his stomach and he has dropped a lot of weight because he was starving. He's back on three small meals a day and I am hoping even with the cancer, thyroid and pancreas issues he can get back to where he was before this all.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #406 
LittleBettaFish

Um wow. My plants just arrived then and I cannot believe how much java fern I actually have. I feel like I stole them from the seller I got such a good price for them!

Now to figure out where I am going to put it all!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #407 
LittleBettaFish

I managed to fill up nearly all my wild betta tanks with java fern. I had a bunch of standard java fern left over that I have put into my 'spare' tank. This tank is going to be set aside for either a burdigala or uberis pair (hoping to get my hands on either one of these before the end of the year). I'm just going to run it empty until I get the pair so the plants have time to establish themselves.

My hendra pair got so excited about there being new plants in their tank that I managed to get a whole series of them displaying to each other.

I've noticed in wilds, horizontal barring doesn't always seem to indicate stress/submission as the female was the aggressor in a number of these shots. Another example is my unimaculata female, who shows only prominent horizontal barring when she is ready to spawn.

Their tank
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #408 
LittleBettaFish

My persephone group are having an absolute blast with all the new java fern in their tank. It's sort of just randomly thrown in there, but they don't mind.

Their tank is 3ft long so hard to get a photo of where it is lit up enough to see anything. Therefore, this was the best I could do.

One of the ferns in there is an absolute monster. It's about a foot in length so I had to lay it on its side.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #409 
LittleBettaFish

I think this is what every fishkeeper likes to see. Healthy, happy fish that are comfortable in their surrounds.

Female

My rutilans also seem to be appreciating their new plants. You really have to see these fish in person to understand how stunning that side iridescence is.

Got my BBS hatchery going and all my fry have just had a lunchtime snack. My unimaculata fry are getting big even though I have been slack with water changes and feeding and there are just so many of them. The owner of a fish store I frequent, has been looking at stocking wilds. If I can get rid of the velvet and grow them out to a sellable size I think I will just trade them in there. I can't be bothered holding onto them while I try to sell them privately and it's not like they command very high prices being so common.

Two pairs of australe sub-adults have been spoken for, and the two pairs of persephone should be going to their new homes in the week or so. I also have a 20L bucket worth of goldvine I am going to flog off simply because I don't have any use for it and I might as well try and sell it if I can. That'll give me just under $180 to put towards a pair or two of wilds. My birthday is also coming up and so I'm hoping Jodi-Lea has an AB order due in December so I can see about purchasing a replacement uberis and/or burdigala pair.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #410 
twolovers101

Beautiful as always LBF :) When I actually have my own house some day I think I want to try wilds, your black water tanks have so much appeal and the fish look so happy!
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote