Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #411 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks Twolovers101. The water in these new set-ups isn't quite as dark as my old set-ups but it is something I am working on. Unfortunately, mum is never happy when she sees me brewing up IAL extract in one of her pots!

Your response is the main reason I continue with this journal. So many people have a lot of misconceptions about wild bettas and I want to show the true beauty of these fish. Many people seem to either be oblivious to the existence of wild bettas, or think they are nothing more than dull, brown fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #412 
twolovers101

I think they're beautiful! I particularly like your persephone and hendra... though I do have a soft spot for mahachais...:) Some day...
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #413 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah those two species are two of my favourites from this complex.

I still think my new hendra pair put on the best display out of any of my wilds.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #414 
twolovers101

*drools* *sigh*

Well, my pk male is about as close to a wild as I'm going to get right now lol. One day... I will have a pair though, are they difficult to keep?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #415 
LittleBettaFish

It really depends on the species. Some species are not very fussy about water conditions. Others such as my persephone and hendra really have a narrow band of parameters in which they are comfortable.

Unless you can provide them with very soft/low pH water, they may not thrive.

However, most of the mouthbrooders tend to be pretty adaptable, particularly if they have been captive bred.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #416 
twolovers101

Most places in Texas tend to have hard water :( Pretty sure it's at around 7.6 where I am right now... not that I might not move in the future, but right now I'm planning on staying as south as I can get lol

Do you use IAL and drift wood to provide softer water? (I'm guessing that's one of the reasons you usually have so much of it in your tanks)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #417 
LittleBettaFish

If the water is really hard, you would most likely need RO water to bring the pH/KH down if you intended on keeping sensitive species such as those from the coccina complex. However, some of the larger species of mouthbrooders (unimaculata complex) can inhabit areas where the pH is higher and the water harder, so there is always that option.

I am fortunate in that Melbourne tapwater tends to be extremely soft. I tested mine once with the API test kit and it was the lowest possible value on that.

I used to just use straight tap water but after some issues with velvet and wanting to keep parameters as stable as possible, I now have a large, heated tub set up downstairs that I fill with tap water and let 'age' over several days so both the temperature and pH stabilise. I also have several pouches filled with IAL and peat moss to further soften the water and also add tannins.

I mostly use IAL because I personally really like the look of dark water. Also because it encourages the growth of infusoria for my fry.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #418 
twolovers101

I'll keep that in mind :) In the meantime I'll just look at your pictures and pretend ^^

I might try a blackwater tank at some point though :)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #419 
LittleBettaFish

You can always just emulate the look of a blackwater tank without having the exact conditions. It seems like unless the fish is wild-caught or a particularly sensitive species, most of the commonly traded fish in this hobby are pretty adaptable. You probably just wouldn't expect to see any spawning happening.

Since I have been procrastinating on water changes, I decided to get my camera out and take some more photos. I can never have too many photos haha.

My persephone are playing at being 'wild' fish at the moment so are refusing to let me get any decent shots of them. This was the best I managed last night and it was only when I was about to put the camera away that I got it.

My rutilans are a funny group of fish. There are around 15-20 fish (some over two years old) in a 10 gallon tank, and yet most of the time I can't spot a single one of them! It's only if they think I might be feeding them that they bother to grace me with their presence. However, they are beautiful so I will forgive their lack of loyalty.

My coccina group are doing really well. I doubt the dominant male and female will spawn with the other male in there, so I probably should get him out at some point. They tend to be a lot more prone to striping up than my other wilds so it's hard to get photos of them in full colour. This is the dominant male after he finished off a blackworm. I got in quick before he could clamp up.

You can see why they are also referred to as 'Wine-red betta'.

This is their tank. The tannins show of their colours nicely, and the extra java fern provided the female and smaller male with more cover as this species can be rather aggressive at times.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #420 
logisticsguy

Beautiful pictures. I love your journal LBF. Ive learn so much about wilds species from it and its always so interesting.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote