Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #441 
Aquatail

It's totally ok! You must be really busy with all those fishies to take care of! I have 3 betta splendens and 2 guppies and they exhaust me. >_< It's been a rough week for us but things seem to be getting better!

All your hard picture-taking work really pays off! Gorgeous pictures, as usual! ^_^ And I know what you mean, most of my boys don't stay still for me either. My newest boy, when I first got him, actually did just float there while I took pictures of him. It was pretty bizarre. I just tried again, wondering if he still would and he actually stayed pretty still. How interesting... Perhaps the camera mesmerizes him?

So how do wild bettas do with other water parameters like hard water? Is pH the only thing they're more sensitive too? Or are some species more sensitive than others like for pH? I totally realized in my head I was getting my pH and Hardness mixed up. >_< My pH is still higher, though. Quite the water chemist, aren't I?

And a completely non-betta related question. You live in Australia, right? What's it like there? Kinda out of nowhere, I know, but I've always wondered. :)
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #442 
LittleBettaFish

Hardness and pH are inter-related. Generally hard water has a higher pH that is more resistant to change. This is why to soften water and bring the pH down, you generally have to cut it with something like RO water.

On the other end of the spectrum, my tap water has essentially no buffering capacity, and so the pH will drop quite dramatically unless I use a chemical product or something like crushed coral to buffer it. However, because my wild bettas thrive in this kind of water, I don't have to do anything more than let it age in a tub with some IAL, peat and rooibos tea.

Like I mentioned earlier, some wilds are very sensitive to water conditions whether they are captive bred or wild-caught. Other species are less fussy and can tolerate a wider range of parameters, you may just not get any spawning happening (most species usually like to see a drop in pH before they will spawn).

I like living in Australia. The hobby is pretty expensive here, but prices do seem to slowly be coming down. I love the extremes of the Australian bush, and the many beautiful places we have here. To be honest, I couldn't really see myself living anywhere else.

Last night my sp. apiapi male and female were out. I rarely see the male and he rarely gives me a good photo so I have to work with what I've got. I doubt I am going to see him much in the next couple of days because I think another spawn is going to happen soon.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #443 
LittleBettaFish

Why did I think it was a great idea to start a massive fish tank move on a 34 degree day?! Even with the air conditioner on it is still a toasty 26 in my bedroom. At least with all this warm weather, I am able to harvest mosquito larvae daily for my fish.

Anyway, I moved my rutilans sp. cf. green group down onto my bottom shelf (they were originally in a 10 gallon tank on the top shelf). They were showing some symptoms of velvet again, so I will be treating them along with my unimaculata.

I actually only thought I had 18 rutilans, but turns out I have 22. It is a testament to the size of these fish that 22 adults in a 10 gallon tank didn't even look overcrowded.

While I was sorting out the sponge filter in their new tank, I had the even brighter idea of re-organising my airline tubing. I think that actually took longer than moving my rutilans and I only have nine tanks hooked up to that pump. Now all my tubing is labelled so I won't accidentally crank up the air in one tank and be looking at another and wondering why nothing is happening.

I made a couple of hundred dollars out of my birthday money and money from fish related sales so I am going to invest some of that into more water sprite, more java moss and more java fern. I don't want to swap any plants between tanks, so any new tanks I set-up from now on are going to have to have new plants purchased.

I do have some very exciting news in that I may be getting a pair of one of my grail wild bettas: Betta miniopinna. It just depends on whether they will get in on the December shipment. Otherwise I may have to wait until January. They are a Christmas present from my mother and I am crossing everything that things go smoothly and by the end of the month I have a healthy pair of miniopinna swimming around in one of my tanks. I never thought I would have the opportunity to own this species, and I am very excited at the prospect of finally getting my hands on them!

I did get a few photos of my dominant coccina male this morning. I had some spare java fern left, and it was sitting in one of my spare tanks not looking very well. After I hacked off all the dead/dying leaves, I chucked the rest into my coccina tank and they have spent most of the day exploring.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #444 
Aquatail

I hope your velvet problem isn't too bad.

So if you have 22 in one tank, what's your estimate for how many you have all together?

Congratulations on the Betta miniopinna! Are they rarer than some other wild bettas?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #445 
LittleBettaFish

No the velvet is currently just confined to the two tanks where the fish have been infected in the past. I am okay with that as long as it doesn't turn up in any of my other tanks.

I probably have just under 50 adults with lots of fry growing out as well. It's easier with my wilds because I can have that many fish in only eight tanks.

Yeah miniopinna are very endangered. They are basically the same as Betta persephone in appearance, but you rarely see them offered for sale. I just have to pay the seller, contact Jodi-Lea the transhipper and see if I can't get them onto the next shipment which should be arriving in Australia on the 11/12. Then it's 7 days in quarantine in QLD before they get shipped down to me.

That's if everything goes to plan and nothing unforeseen happens. I just worry about shipping so close to Christmas, even though I get my fish sent express so it's only supposed to be overnight.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #446 
Aquatail

Wow, that's a lot! Congratulations on the fish again, I hope everything goes well.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #447 
LittleBettaFish

I used to have heaps more but between the velvet and the heater malfunction killing my big group of burdigala, I have had to slowly build my stock back up.

I am waiting for the seller who I got my hendra and brownorum pair off to have pairs of uberis and burdigala in stock. Knowing my luck it will be after I have spent all my money.

In a way I like that you can't just go to any pet/fish store and pick up a pair of wild bettas as it does tend to keep them in the hands of more dedicated hobbyists. But at the same time it can be frustrating as heck having to wait weeks or months until the fish you want are available again and then it ends up being quite a lot of $$$ per pair compared to most other fish species.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #448 
LittleBettaFish

Well I've purchased my miniopinna pair and paid the transhipper all their import and shipping costs. Now I just have to wait and hope things go right.

I plan on buying some java moss, water sprite and a couple of java ferns for their tank. Just got to find time (and someone to drive me) to go down to my not so local fish store.

Their tank is a 'Fluval Edge' that I took the top panel of glass off. I really like the shape of this tank and think it is an excellent size for a pair of coccina complex bettas. Shame I can't just buy it as a standard tank.

My brownorum male is almost completely healed up from his female's attack. He's been very active of late and has a bubblenest going in one of the film canisters so I think he is trying to convince the female to spawn with him.

It's hard to believe I was having absolutely no luck at all with my previous pair of brownorum. These two spawn at least once every week or two.

I also got another photo of my dominant coccina male. I love the rich, burgundy colour of this species. I believe coccina and my sp. apiapi are the only two species from this complex to display the distinctive spade-shaped caudal.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #449 
LittleBettaFish

Well had an eventful morning. I nearly killed my brownorum female after she got stuck in the siphon during a water change, but she appears to be okay apart from some scrapes and has even been involved in some courtship with the male.

My hendra male's eggs are hatching or very close to it. He has been very busy dividing his time between watching his nest, chasing his female around and eating mosquito larvae.

I took a full tank shot to show how the plants are going and you can see him up in the film canister to the right.

I also got a couple of photos of my brownorum fry. These are two of my biggest fry in there that I have seen so far.

I seriously can't wait for these guys to colour up and start developing some spots on their sides! I found this really awesome presentation of a lateral blotch on a brownorum that went all the way down onto its anal fin. If one of them cropped up in my group I would be very happy.

Now my sp. apiapi fry are all getting bigger they are much bolder. Most of them are usually out and about looking for food. I have been giving them BBS almost every day and they also snack on the smaller mosquito larvae and infusoria present in the tank.

I think they are going to spawn soon because both of them were up in the film canister and the female has been getting a lot rounder over the past few days.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #450 
Weaver

AAAAH. This last entry scared me. That brownum gal.... I hope she's alright. XD

I love your idea of a film-canister as a little hidey-place for eggs and the fishies. Eee, your sp. apiapi gall looks gravid and ready to pop. Hoping things go well for you.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote