Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #611 
Hallyx
Reference Team

And I'm still in love with your Hendra...especially himself.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #612 
LittleBettaFish

I agree, he is such a stunning fish. I really need to get a video of him and the female flirting. She colours up immensely and he gets this amazing vertical barring. I am honestly really glad I sold the original pair of hendra I had as there is no comparison between the quality of the two.

I also took a couple more photos last night. This first one is of my sp. apiapi female out hunting grindal worms in the substrate.

Then this is the biggest sub-adult, her daughter (almost the same length as the mum).

I also got a photo of one of my persephone juveniles. As you can see, the fins are red. The blue/black colouration comes in as the fish matures. I believe this one is a female so I am very happy about that as she doesn't appear to have any topline deformities and I may cross her back onto one of the adult males.

You can definitely see the similarities between both her and the miniopinna female.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #613 
LittleBettaFish

I saw a quite large (they are only a couple of weeks old) miniopinna fry today. I also saw two smaller fry at the back of the tank, so looks like there are a number of them surviving. I don't think either parent are predating them.

However, I am wondering if the way I am keeping my tanks now isn't skewing my gender ratios towards larger numbers of females. I had a look in my sp. apiapi tank and it seems like they are all females in there. I'm hoping that as they mature the genders become more balanced. It seems like I either get one or the other, never a 50/50 split. It does make selling them a lot harder as unlike splendens, people only ever want pairs of wilds.

I'm still waiting for more of my brownorum to become sexable. The biggest male juvenile was flaring at the mirror yesterday and darkened up considerably so I hold hope that he will develop the same rich red as the original male.

My rutilans still seem healthy and content. They are just in a lifetime quarantine because I will never know for sure if the velvet is completely gone or not. They are a tough group of fish, and 'm hoping if I can keep the environment as low-stress as possible, that at the very least what velvet is still there won't turn into a full-blown infection.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #614 
LittleBettaFish

Okay, I put some rooibos tea in my sp. wajok tank and have been giving them some whiteworms and grindals along with the mosquito larvae, and today the striped one was in full colour and they were both flaring at each other.

I tried to get some clear photos of both fish to compare, but the dark water and flash made this rather difficult. Plus they kept clamping up their fins when displaying so that wasn't much use.

I still cannot see very much difference between the two. One is a slightly darker shade of red, and may have slightly shorter fins, but that's about it. I am starting to seriously wonder whether they are both the same gender.

I think I might email the seller with a couple of pictures and see if he can't help me out.

The rounded stomach is because they just ate.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #615 
Weaver

Ooo! You did Roobios-water for a change! Do you like it? Are you seeing any differences in that water as compared to the IAL? From what I've seen using Roobios tea, it does tend to fade to a more yellowy-orange if left for too long in tank.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #616 
LittleBettaFish

I've been using rooibos tea now in my tanks and water aging tubs since around October I think. I only float the tea bags for a couple of days and then pull them. It does provide a slightly different colour from IALs, slightly more of an orange tint. However, the tannins come off the the tea bags a lot faster than off the leaves so if I want to get the water darker in a short amount of time, the rooibos is what I use.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #617 
LittleBettaFish

My miniopinna male was out today so I managed to sneak in a couple of photos before he went back to the film canister.

Then I went and had a look at my rutilans tank and I think I am going to have to remove the film canisters from there and look at putting some more plants in because the biggest males were sparring. There's been some fin damage done, and I just don't want to cause any excessive stress to them because they only recently recovered from the velvet.

But I have to admit they look so nice when they are flaring and displaying. It's funny how when you look at them in real life their sides appear green (hence the name Betta rutilans sp. cf. green), but under photos it usually comes across as gold instead.

The two pictured are big boys. Probably about 5cm total length.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #618 
LittleBettaFish

Just been plodding along here today. Did a couple of water changes, filled up my two water aging tubs, tried to convince my sp. wajok pair to show some interest in each beyond flaring and chasing, and then took some photos.

Hendra male

Hendra juvenile male

Betta miniopinna male

Betta rutilans males sparring

These two empty tanks I have are driving me nuts. I am going to be so happy when I eventually fill them. It's been hard lately to resist the allure of purchasing fish other than wild bettas and putting them in there.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #619 
LittleBettaFish

I've decided to do a full-on biotope style aquarium for my rutilans group. I'm going to use a mixture of peat moss and coir over the top of the aqua soil, and then have a very thick layer of leaf litter over the top of this. The only plants are going to be watersprite and maybe some Amazon frogbit just to help provide surface cover and manage the ammonia.

I was thinking of making a raised section at the back out of something like a 3D background so I can hide the equipment, provide a shallow area for shyer fish to retreat to, and also that way the goldvine will look like roots growing down from the 'bank' into the water.

I'm hoping I can achieve this in the next couple of weeks as some of the males are looking ratty.

Then surprise we have my coccina male who I thought was dead, but really wasn't. I also found his female. They are living with the rutilans group currently and I am not sure what to do with them as they have been exposed to the velvet parasite and I don't want to set-up another tank, have them spawn and then have them give it to their fry.

My sp. wajok pair are still playing coy. I'm going to drop their water level right down and add some more tannins. We are going to the aquarium this weekend so going to pick up some more wood. Here was what I think is the male chasing my finger.

I placed an order for some hornwort, hydrilla, IALs, dried riparian leaves and peat moss from an interstate seller and so once I get the invoice for it I'm going to pay and that way it should hopefully arrive next week.

I want to try hornwort again in my tanks. I think it might like the cooler water and aqua soil of my wild betta tanks.

Other than that, I really need to clean my goldfish tank and fill up my downstairs water aging tub with the hose. But it's cold and I am procrastinating.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #620 
LittleBettaFish

My sp. wajok pair are going to get threatened with a flushing soon if they don't start behaving.

Yesterday I completely changed around their tank because I thought the 'female' might be more comfortable as she was always displaying horizontal barring and being harassed by the male. I dropped the water level down, added in some IAL and rooibos, put some peat moss over the substrate and also picked up some wood from the fish store to go in the tank.

Well now it seems like the female has become the aggressor and the poor male is missing half his caudal and some of his anal fin.

I got a photo of them both together. I thought the female might be the one at the front, but I sent an email to the seller with this picture attached to see if I didn't accidentally get two males. That could explain all the fighting and why there has been no spawning happening in spite of the fact that conditions are perfect.

I also managed to break the heater in my water aging tub since my last update. I didn't realise the heater was still plugged in, and I procrastinated so much that the water in the tub evaporated to a level where the heater was exposed. I went down wondering what this smell of burning plastic was, and turns out it was my heater guard melting.

I have some miscellaneous tanks, plants and equipment I'm going to sell. Hopefully I can get it sold so that I not only clear up some storage space, but also can put the money back into my wild bettas.

Right now I want to get a separate tank set up for a pair of Betta persephone. Now I have the space and a heater spare, I figure I might as well try to get some more F2 fry.