Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #61 
Fenghuang

Wow, that killifish is a beauty. What species is that?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #62 
Wildbetta

Great to see that you have gotten some Aphyosemion Australe. I have a pair of the orange ones. I love the way they look and are so active and colorful.

On another note: I do hope your female pulls through for ya soon. :(
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #63 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I had quite a few killifish species in the past, but lost/sold them. I have never had much luck with them, even in cycled aquariums where the parameters are all stable.

It sucks here because there are so many species that are available for import, but which never come into the country. I love the chromaphyosemion genus but alas there are only three or so species I have seen from that group.

This was my first australe male. He had two females, but for some reason the store wouldn't let you purchase them in anything but male/female pairs.

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #64 
LittleBettaFish

So killifish are doing great. I got their new tank sorted out last night. I put some peat moss on the bottom as I've found most fish like the colour and texture of this as a substrate, and just have the heater running to stabilise the temperature.

Going to go to Kmart and pick up some green yarn to make a spawning mop out of. Then maybe I can get some eggs out of this pair. Only had very sporadic luck with rearing killifish fry in the past but hoping to change this.

Although my fish are all doing well I am having a bit of a tough week emotionally. Got a few personal problems in my life I need to sort out. Makes even doing the things I love hard.

Then moments like this help to cheer me up. She is actually as evil as that photo makes her look. I think if I ever became superfluous to her she would sit on my face while I was sleeping and smother me.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #65 
LittleBettaFish

Hendra/burdigala/uberis juvenile group shots

Trying to wean this lot onto NLS pellets. They were not impressed by their first tasting today. However, I noticed that many of the pellets that had fallen onto one of the IALs had vanished so I am hoping that as they have softened some of the juveniles have eaten them.

The uberis juveniles in the tank next door are also going well. However, it looks like I have a lot of males in there so hoping they don't start ripping each other to shreds as they mature.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #66 
BettaLover1313

They're so cute!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #67 
blueridge

LBF just wanted to say that I love reading your blog from time to time when I get to and as always your fish are amazing! Keep up the good work!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #68 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks Blueridge.

I haven't had much time to do anything with my fish the last few days. They have just been getting water changes and food chucked at them and that's about it.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #69 
blueridge

That's ok. Sometimes I get into a funk with taking care of mine. You'll get over it soon I'm sure. Just keep taking pictures for me every once in awhile so I can drool all over my computer screen.

Last edited by blueridge; 06-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #70 
LittleBettaFish

I have a confession to make. I didn't euthanise my uberis female.

The other day I put some substrate in the bottom of her hospital tank and she seems to be moving around more than she was and aside from the clamping and poor appetite, looks okay.

I am going to try another treatment with aquarium salt because that seemed to perk her up last time.

It's hard because she got through the infection and has hung on for several weeks now. I feel like we have come so far that if I can just pull her through this, she will start to pick up.

She has another two weeks to improve and then I will most likely euthanise.

In better news, my group of Betta rutilans 'green' sub-adults/juveniles are doing quite well. I look to have a couple of females in the group so I am hoping that I can continue this line for a few more generations.

(What I think is one of the females)

They also have four related adults in another tank. I think three are full siblings and one is their father. They were the first wilds I ever bred and so I have a soft spot for this species even if it's not one of my favourites.

Otherwise everyone else is going okay. I am on a new medication that makes me really drowsy so I haven't had a lot of energy left to devote to my fish. I think I need to go back to daily water changes on my hendra/burdigala grow-out as the 50% every second day isn't cutting it. Which is annoying! Wish I had more space for more racks and tanks.