Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #931 
LittleBettaFish

Went to the fish fair/table sale today. First table I headed for was the ANGFA one that was chock full of natives. I wish I'd had more money as they had some lovely books I wanted to purchase (I've always wanted a fish room with a whole library as I love books even if the info etc. is outdated), but instead I settled on a bag of four honey blue eyes, and four rhadinocentrus ornate from Tin Can Bay.

There were several more species I wanted, but being broke does have its advantages as I would not have had the space for them all.

I also purchased a glass thermometer to check my uberis and sp. wajok water temperatures. Of course as soon as I come home I found the other one in my wardrobe. At least now I can safely turn up the heat without being afraid I'm going to boil anyone, and hopefully eradicate the ich fairly quickly.

Here is a photo of my rutilans/temporary honey blue eyes tank.

I think this biggest one (they are only around the 2-2.5cm mark) is possibly a female, as one of the smaller males seems to be showing some interest in her.

The rhads are much more skittish and have banged up their mouths from running into the bag sides and tank walls so I am going to wait until they settle down before I take any photos.

I'm hoping I at least have one female from each group as these are both species I would love to breed.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #932 
blueridge

They look great. I have a random question for you, would it be ok to put snails in with wilds or do you think they would find them as a snack?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #933 
LittleBettaFish

What sort of snails are you talking? None of my wilds have ever shown any interest in the pond snails in their tanks. Not sure how a mystery snail would fare though as they are big enough to attract attention, and some wilds can be nastier or simply more curious than others.

My new fish were settling in well when I finally went to bed last night. I definitely have one male in my blue eyes group as he was sparring with another one and chasing the group around. I could also see the black outline on the fins coming through.

My rhads were also a lot more settled and were swimming around exploring and I think I spotted the biggest flaring at one of the others.

Someone on this rainbowfish FB group said my water looked like pee (except the less family friendly word for pee). I am so used to tannins with my wilds I forgot a lot of fish keepers hate them.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #934 
blueridge

I was thinking of mystery snails or maybe assassin snails?, but I would give pond snails a try. Thanks!

Last edited by blueridge; 07-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #935 
LittleBettaFish

Haha you mean you actually have a tank that doesn't have any pond snails in it? Somehow the pond snails can survive my really soft and acidic water. I had big problems with them in one tank where they came in with some plants.

I have always found bettas to be pickers. If they are curious about something they may try to bite it, and mystery snails are such big, slow-moving targets.

Also depending on the species, you may run into issues with the shell of a mystery snail. A lot of wilds like their water soft, and I know some snails can have issues with this.

Looks like I may have gotten four male honey blue eyes. I can see the darker outline coming in on the fins on two of the smaller ones, and the biggest one I have the photo of is sparring with the males now even though its fins are not as dark. The final one, I am not 100% certain on. It's a bit more passive and I can't really tell whether its fins are showing the black outline or not.

So at this point, it looks like I am going to have to source another couple of females. Unfortunately the store that is selling them at $40 a pair usually wants to sell them as a male/female pair, and not two of the same gender which is frustrating.

I put another piece of wood in their tank to give them some more cover and so far they seem content. They are still glass surfing a bit, but I find schooling fish take longer than bettas and other sort of predatory fish to settle into a new environment.

I think I did get a female rhad though, as the two biggest individuals were flaring at 'her' and each other and displaying a prominent orange/yellow stripe down their backs. I tried to get some photos as they looked good putting on a display, but sadly they move too fast and hate the camera. These were the best photos I could get at the moment and they are not flattering...at all.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #936 
blueridge

Haha all of my tanks don't have pond snails, even with the live plants that I have gotten. I'm just lucky I guess? Sorry to hear about you having all males. Hopefully you will be able to find someone who will be willing to sale you females without the complication of just getting a pair.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #937 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

LBF, I have another ocellata question. Around what size should I be able to start sexing them? Any tips for when they're young?

Oh, and how are your natives settling in? They look great in the photos!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #938 
LittleBettaFish

I don't really remember at what size/age I started sexing my unimaculata. It's been so long now since I've had any around.

I usually just went by the blue scaling on the head. My unimaculata females had no scaling, whereas even at quite a small size, my juvenile males would start to show much heavier blue scaling around the head/face area. Not sure if this is the same with the ocellata.

My natives are going well. My rhads are very shy. However, I have their new tank set-up, which should be ready for them in a couple of days (just waiting for the water to warm up and the pH to drop). It mimics the sort of environment they are found in, in the wild, and as there are less hiding places than their current tanks, I'm trying to force them out into the open.

I picked up a bigger pair of honey blue eyes from an aquarium in the city and the group is all doing well. It's nice to be able to introduce a new pair into a tank and not have the current residents attack them. The new male was trying desperately to spawn with one of the females, so hopefully I might see some fry from them.

My rutilans pair was DOA in Bangkok so I am going to ask for the $44 import fee back from them and put it towards more natives.

I'm going to put in a big native plant order next week from Aquagreen, and possibly looking at a pair or trio of spotted blue eyes (if he has any to spare) or maybe some Melanotaenia maccullochi Burtons Ck.

I still need to order some ADA Amazonia, but it seems like the two cheapest stockists are out. I could order the powder but it is like $20 more.

I thought my uberis male was dead, but luckily I saw him today and gave him a quick feed. Both him and his female are still very sick, so I am going to set-up a proper hospital tank for them both today.

Other than that, nothing much has been happening with my fish. I've been in sort of a fish slump at the moment so trying to muster up some enthusiasm with my natives.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #939 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How much would two 9l bags of Ada soil fill? I have no clue haha... Relying on your judgement.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #940 
LittleBettaFish

Well my hendra and my sp. apiapi pairs both spawned recently and that's about the only good news I have for my wild bettas. Right now my only healthy betta tanks are sp. apiapi, brownorum, hendra, both miniopinna, rutilans green adults, and my persephone. My uberis are still in a bad way, and at this point I am thinking it is velvet not ich.

However, my rhads are in their new biotope style tank, and they are so much happier. They are getting a lot bolder with me and yesterday when the sunlight hit their tank, the two dominant males were absolutely stunning.

Even better, was when I was looking into their still filled, but now unheated, old tank, I found two fry swimming around. Never mind that the outside temperature here has been down to the minuses, and overnight in our house has been absolutely freezing. Apparently rhads can survive in temperatures as low as 8 degrees, which probably helped.

I also found a small number of eggs, so I removed these and put them in the container as well. I wasn't sure if they would hatch, but at this point in time I have six fry, with more eggs still to hatch. They seemed to like spawning in the native ambulia, so put some of that in their new tank.

My honey blue eyes are doing great. I need to get their proper tank set-up, as it's too hard to see if there are any eggs or fry in the tank they are in now.

I also should have four Burtons Creek Melanotaenia maccullochi on their way to me today, along with some azolla and limnophila fragrans. The macs will be going in with the rhads until I have the funds to get a tank set-up specifically for them.

My camera ran out of batteries yesterday, so going to charge it up and take some photos today.