Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 
Falina

betta changing colour?!?

i bought a betta fish about a month ago. he was blue with only the tiniest bit of red on the tip of his fins. now he is rather purple and has a lot of red on his fins. slowly but surely he is changing from blue to red. any ideas? it seems like madness to me.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #2 
Plant_Guy

He is getting more comfortable in his enviroment. I had a turqoise betta and in a month he went from turqoise to indigo!
Plant_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #3 
Falina

thats awful good too hear. i was worried about him, in case maybe he wasnt well :) im glad hes happy. out of interest then, is he likely to turn completely red eventually then?

thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #4 
Plant_Guy

The thing is he might be an actual purple red mix. When you buy a betta from Petsmart or someplace that sells them in the cups then they are most likely stressed and most of the times sickly. I also noticed that when the water parameters changed in my tank so did the bettas. For instance their colors are more interesting when the temperature is around 76-80*.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #5 
Falina

no no he didnt come from a cup. he came from a tank that was maybe 10 gallons from a fish shop rather than pet store and is in a similar sized tank now. the only difference is that he used to be with mollies and now i have him with corys. he definitely seems happy enough. my tank is at 26oC, thats about 78 or 79 i think. could it just be a change in temperature that has sparked this change in colour then? i cant remember the temperature he was at in his old home.

thanks again
Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #6 
Plant_Guy

Well from my experience it most certainly can be a change in temp. Im not saying that it happens to all bettas but with every one I had aquired I seen these changes. He is most certainly happy and since not being in too much of a drastic change he really will display better color. Your welcome and good luck with him!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #7 
spyro's mummy

my betta did that too. i got him in summer n he was really bright purple, then wen it came 2 winter he was kinda dull but i bought a bigger tank n everythin n now hes pretty again :D
spyro's mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #8 
MegK

my betta changed colours within a day of getting her. she looked green in the store but in my tank, she turned bright red
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #9 
nav2008

he could have been young if it was from a petstore, they change as they mature. i have an older "rescue" betta who was dark green and black body (about equal amounts of each color) its been a month and now he has no black on him at all. and like others were saying, temp and water changes always have an effect
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote