Betta Fish Forum banner

Fighting Gills?

628 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lexicoffey 
#1 ·
Today I was showing off my two betta fish, Giorgio and Manolo. I held up a hand mirror to show a friend how they flare up when they fight. I did not hold up the mirror long. However, now Giorgio's gills still look a little too flared and a bit separated. Big G is older and bigger than Manolo and I wondered why his gills looked like that after holding up a mirror for a few seconds. Did I do something wrong?! Will he go back to looking like his normal happy self?

#2 ·
I hgave heard of this before and it is often damage to the gills of a male that has not flared normally before. When they are kept in isolation they don't develop something and when they flare it can cause damage to the gills. Hopefully it will heal and he will be bale to close his gills completely soon.

Any updates on the gills?

#3 ·
Healed Gills!

Thank you for responding! I was very worried for about a week but both my boys seem ok now. Phew! Giorgio is the bigger fish and whom I was most bothered by. He seems to have healed! :D Manolo, my baby fish, is doing much better too. His coloring has gotten better and is growing rapidly!
Thanks so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.