Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #11 
aemaki09

No problem!
Just make sure you stay away from grape wood, that stuff rots like nobodies business
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #12 
Picasso84

Wow!! Your tank is beautiful! I LOVE IT!!! This is exactly what I wanna do! Probably won't b able to get this kind of set-up started 'til the fall, but I wanna b able to grow baby tears plants, ~Have always Loved the Looks of it!~ so I guess I'll need a higher light situation as well, would love to do Co2, but that will be a little ways away... Thanks for the peabody website! That is great to know about! Thank You, Thank You! :) Happy Growing! :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #13 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso84 View Post
Wow!! Your tank is beautiful! I LOVE IT!!! This is exactly what I wanna do! Probably won't b able to get this kind of set-up started 'til the fall, but I wanna b able to grow baby tears plants, ~Have always Loved the Looks of it!~ so I guess I'll need a higher light situation as well, would love to do Co2, but that will be a little ways away... Thanks for the peabody website! That is great to know about! Thank You, Thank You! :) Happy Growing! :)
Thank you!! I really appreciate the compliment. I wanted to do something more fancy, but love the overgrown look, so I'll keep it like this for now.
It's actually fairly inexpensive to start an NPT but does require a LOT of work! Took me a good 6 hours to get everythig done from rinsing sand to removing everything existing and to filling it back up again. But totally worth it.
You'll definitely need co2 and high light to get a good mat of baby tears if you are talking about the dwarf kind. Mine are the regular So I didn't necessarily need co2 but with all the red plants I have and with a couple needing moderate/high light, I figured I'd go that route to stop algea growth.
Co2 does get expensive though. Cost 150 total for the entire set-up and that was with the cheapest double gauge regualtor with solenoid I found on amazon.
You can do it cheaper if you skimp on the regulator which is something I don't recommend.
If I were to do anything different, I may have done dual or quadruple t5ho bulbs rather than the Finnex led's because I've heard that LED's tend to not have the right spectrum for red plants.

The peabody's website is officially my favorite place to get plants from. I hope you like it as well as I do, check their YouTube channel out too, they have give-always weekly which may help you get started.

I think In total, I've spent nearly $300 on upgrades for this tank. Which is a lot for me being a full time student with a part time job, but I don't regret it for a second.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #14 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
If I were to do anything different, I may have done dual or quadruple t5ho bulbs rather than the Finnex led's because I've heard that LED's tend to not have the right spectrum for red plants.
This very true of Finnex, but there are some other options. I am looking for a new light for my 12g long, and have finally found an option that fits the spectrum/price/PAR requirements. It took months.

I wanted to give you a special shout out to doing this as a student. It's important to have something that isn't related to academics for your own stress management. And, with all the work students have to do, it is so awesome to see someone doing it right.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #15 
aemaki09

What light did you end up going with? I do like the look of LED's so when I start with my 50 I may have to look into whichever you went with.

Thanks!! It's definitely a lot of work keeping planted tanks, but I absolutely love it and its a nice stress reliever so I'll keep at it for a long time to come.

Here's an updated shot taken today 5/7/13
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #16 
VJM

I am going with the Current Satellite Freshwater LED +. For a shallower tank, I think it is just right. Otherwise, buildmyled would be my choice, with a custom spectrum for red and green plants. They are super helpful on the phone, if you have questions.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #17 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I am going with the Current Satellite Freshwater LED +. For a shallower tank, I think it is just right. Otherwise, buildmyled would be my choice, with a custom spectrum for red and green plants. They are super helpful on the phone, if you have questions.
I've heard a lot of good things about both companies. I was considering going to buildmyLED because of their customer service, but then I figured it'd end up being a little too pricey for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #18 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about both companies. I was considering going to buildmyLED because of their customer service, but then I figured it'd end up being a little too pricey for me.
Me too! The Current is low lightish (although opinions vary on what that is), so for my shallow tank I think it is perfect. Might be an issue with something deeper.

I know with Finnex, you can run a Monsterray as additional lighting for your red plants. I just get irritated paying for and looking at two lights, when it should be one.

They also have a clamp on light with better spectrum, which you can use in multiples. Gets spendy though.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #19 
aemaki09

Yeah, finnex is kind of pricey, last night I was on the hunt for some moonlight LED's and found some finnex clamps that I'd never seen before and was somewhat shocked by the price. Theres no way I'm going to spend that much money on a clamp light LOL I ended up finding some for $10 in the 6500k spectrum that I'll probably go with for my bowls and see what happens.
I don't know what my plan is for the red plants, I honestly dont even know what exactly I need to be looking for the reds (any ideas?) but I haven't seen much issues with them losing color yet, so hopefully I'll be okay.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #20 
aemaki09

Updated pic:
5/13/13

Starting to regret not getting a larger co2 tank! I have 2 20oz paintball tanks that I use, one lasts about 10 days...I'm thinking about getting a 5-10lb tank, but I don't know where I'd be able to get it filled? I get my 20oz tanks filled at duhnams or dicks sporting goods but I don't think they'd do anything larger than that...
Any ideas ?