Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Swimming weirdly?? Hard to describe

So, one of my petco baby bettas has had a weird swimming pattern since the day I bought her, I thought it would get better with time, but that hasn't happened, and I've had her for exactly a month now.

She swims with her face pointed up, tail down, and hardly moves her back end other than fluttering her tail. It's like she's partially paralyzed or something? It's always looked like she's struggling to get air and has a hard time getting to the surface and I notice that she's always resting on a plant near the top when she isn't trying to swim.

I know that she probably doesn't have the best quality of life right now so I'd really like to improve it if possible. She's doing great in everyway other than this. She's got beautiful coloring, gets breeding strips and is carrying eggs, eats like a champ, and all around is a nice and friendly girl so I want to do anything I can for her.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon bowl
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no just some plants
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? maybe a stray baby snail or two

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Attison's betta pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2x/day, 3-5 pellets per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3x/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% once a week and 2 50%'s
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? it hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't, she has always swimmed as described above, but i'd like to see if I can do anything to help improve it/her quality of life.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when I bought her
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've tried epsoms and AQ salt at one time or another, also have tried a round seachem paraguard in case that could have been an issue
Does your fish have any history of being ill? unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 months-ish?

heres a video of it:

(click on it and it'll open to play in another window)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 
registereduser

I'm certain that one of the petco babies I've had in the past (that died) was deformed. I think they are often fry that would have normally been culled, but since they decided to sell them so little maybe the reason to cull hadn't appeared yet. Now she's growing and it has become obvious. That's totally my guess. If she was sick I think she'd be swimming head down.

She might just need a shallow tank and plants to rest on. Which is exactly what you have in that video so good job.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #3 
aemaki09

That's what I was figuring as well, but wasn't sure. I really hate thinking there isn't anything I can do for her though. She's a great little girl.

Do you think this may be painful or anything for her? I don't want to keep her alive if she's suffering
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #4 
WaffleSire

For the time being, you should probably lower the water level so that fishy can get to the air easier. Perhaps put her in a seperate container...?
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleSire View Post
For the time being, you should probably lower the water level so that fishy can get to the air easier. Perhaps put her in a seperate container...?
I had her in shallower containers with low water levels when I first got her, but she's graduated her way up to this. I have always made sure that she is strong enough before making a move into something larger, and she's plenty strong for this one gallon bowl, and she has plenty of places to rest when need be, that's not really the issue here.
The main concern is; is there anything I can do to help her swim correctly.

Like mentioned, I have been working on building her strength, when I first got her she'd sit on the bottom all day long and struggle to go 3" to get air. Now she can swim better (still not like a normal fish) and is fairly active, but I would love to see her be able to go into something a bit larger. Atleast a 2.5, but my dream is for her to go into the sorority tank eventually, but I don't think that'll happen, so my hopes are for a 2.5.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 
Viva

My second baby, Spark, actually did this same symptom. When I got her she was really small compared to all the others, but she was swimming normally. After a few days she started to swim with her head up and her tail down, like she couldn't control it. She would stop and her head would bob upwards immediately. It almost looked like her back was deformed. After a few weeks, though, she started swimming normally again. Even though she is still extremely small she doesn't seem to have the problem anymore. I'm not really sure if this is a genetic deformity or if its caused by other things. I was feeding her microworms, and I hear that they can cause deformities so I weened her onto pellets as soon as I could.

I had her in a ~2 gallon kritter keeper at first but the temperature was fluctuating too much with the heater I had in there, so I divided Prize's 5.5 gallon and she did much better in there with the filter and constant temp.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
My second baby, Spark, actually did this same symptom. When I got her she was really small compared to all the others, but she was swimming normally. After a few days she started to swim with her head up and her tail down, like she couldn't control it. She would stop and her head would bob upwards immediately. It almost looked like her back was deformed. After a few weeks, though, she started swimming normally again. Even though she is still extremely small she doesn't seem to have the problem anymore. I'm not really sure if this is a genetic deformity or if its caused by other things. I was feeding her microworms, and I hear that they can cause deformities so I weened her onto pellets as soon as I could.

I had her in a ~2 gallon kritter keeper at first but the temperature was fluctuating too much with the heater I had in there, so I divided Prize's 5.5 gallon and she did much better in there with the filter and constant temp.
Thank you for sharing.
Is she swimming anymore normally now that she's in the larger tank? I'm wondering if maybe I should just put her into one of my 2.5's and see if that'd help at all.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #8 
Viva

Yeah she's swimming normally now. She's just really small still and I've had her since the beginning of January I believe.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 
aemaki09

Thanks!
I'll transfer her over to a 2.5 tomorrow and see what happens. They all have plenty of plants for her to rest on as well if needed.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #10 
Viva

Hope she gets better!