Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #1 
Allirane

Need help with food types!

Hello everyone!

I am curious to know what female bettas like the best, or if it is even different than what males like.

I have a crowntail female named Neytiri (love her to death... the sweetest girl on the planet) and she seems to have finally settled into her 2.5 gallon tank (heated and filtered after a few weeks of settling in).

She is not sick really, though her stress lines come out quite bright sometimes, but I have noticed that she is very very particular with what she wants to eat. I have only gotten her to eat the betta pellets I got (Aqueaon pellets) and she hates the flakes that came with the 5.5 gallon set up I have from Top Fin (though my guppies love them). She doesn't even like dried blood worms as a treat. I have tried crushing the pellets, crushing the flakes, switching up the diet, fasting and waiting for her to be not picky, and even selecting the smaller of the pellets, but she always spits them right back out.

I am not sure what to do anymore as I do not have garlic juice, but I am curious as to what brand I could buy for her that she would like. My two males will pretty much eat anything, so I am not worried about them.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #2 
shellieca

Bettas are like people some are picky eaters. How long have you had her? I feed all of my Bettas the same foods; New Life Spectrum & Omega One Pellets, Omega One Betta Flakes, frozen blood worms, brine shrim & daphnia (frozens only once or twice a week). None of Bettas refuse these foods, not even the newest female currently in QT.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 
Nicci Lu

+1 to the foods shellieca recommended. Omega One and New Life pellets are smaller than the Aqueon, and easier for bettas to eat. Plus, they are far healthier. Frozen bloodworms are much healthier than freeze dried- IMO- and I've yet to hear of a betta that will refuse those. A healthy staple pellet supplemented with frozen food is the perfect diet.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 
Allirane

Awesome! Thank you both so much. I will look into getting either the Omega buffet pellets or the New life ones. A smaller pellet size might be what she wants. It seems like she doesn't spit out the whole pellet, just some. Thanks!

I can look into frozen foods too, but I am in the college apartments and my roommates might not like that. But, I can look into that.

She's been my girl for about a month now. :)

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allirane View Post
I can look into frozen foods too, but I am in the college apartments and my roommates might not like that. But, I can look into that.
Tell them you've developed a taste for larvae. Yummm... bloodworms, a tasty treat. ;)

Seriously, though, they come in a pack of cubes, like an icecube tray, so they're not gross to have in the freezer.

You should post pictures of your sweet girl. :)
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #6 
Minnieservis

+1 on the omega one pellets :) all of my bettas love them
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 
Allirane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
You should post pictures of your sweet girl. :)
Of course! :)

Sorry they're so blurry! I don't own a camera and she is so quick!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #8 
Picasso84

She is sooo cute! I also "+1" to shellieca's post, my guys LOVE the Omega One Pellets (ordering some New Life Spectrum too, this week ~for variety~ ) and Glassworms (aka: Mosquito Larvae... ) And, like nicci lu said, they come in frozen ice-cube packets, easy as pie! And not too gross... But, I live where there's tons of mosquitos, so I like to see them be eaten! Mmwahahahaha.. ) and my (well, one) boy LOVES Daphnia too! :D

EDIT: When I feed my one guy Dijon, the daphnia, I'll squirt a few dozen in (w/ eye dropper ~ they're tiny! Like size of fleas) and take a turkey baster, and suck up the water and squirt/pump it right back in with the baster (all while the turkey baster is still in the tank/water) so that it blows the daphnia all around his big bowl, so he gets to "hunt" them down, and chase them around (they aren't alive - cuz they're frozen, but this makes it seem like they r to him! ) (...the only reason I don't do it for my other guy, is b/c he is pretty much blind) But Dijon, he LOVES this! He gets excited when I grab the baster... Even kinda follows it around -waiting for daphnia to pop up- when I use the baster to clean his tank! Lol

Last edited by Picasso84; 05-07-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Turkey Basting!
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote