Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 
MadMay

What will I get color wise?

I know this is a pain in the butt questions since dad was a pet store betta and there for genetics are unknown but my fry are showing their iridensence now and some have purple sheen. Im thinking they may be copper as mother carries it although she herself is not referance pics in my spawn log of parents and here are the dams parents that the breeder took and was nice enough to send me. I was thinking I would get predominantly red marbles with maybe a couple orange but I am still learning on color genetics.
Attached Images

MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #2 
Mahsfish

You will not get any marbles unless it is in their genes. Also, you will get mainly reds since it is dominant. And being that the dad is from a petstore you may get a bunch of random guys aswell
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #3 
Basement Bettas

Probably multi colors. That tends to be what you get with real unrelated colors.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 
MadMay

The mother is actually a red in white marble she only has red on her caudal when I got her when she just white. So thats where I was getting marble. I figured I would get mostly red.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME copper (red) x platinum . . . (not considering their background)
Probability: multi copper (red copper), some may look more red than others. Green/turquoise multi (some might be metallic green). Cambodian like colors with various irid levels. Maybe few white platinum, and even yellow (depending on background - all multi). Since female has marble background, some might be marbles (what ever color)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #6 
MadMay

I may be wrong on this Indjo but judging from your post I may have confused some of you. The pictures I posted where of the grandparents of the dam of my spawn. The actual parents of my spawn ill post here let me know what you think about fry outcome.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #7 
trilobite

Theres something that I love about that male. Hes so compact. I really love him!
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The picture looks - platinum female and orange male; correct me if I'm wrong.
It is said that platinum is the metallic version of white opaque (milky white). So they are genetically Cambodian with NR genes (not visible), steel blue and metallic which is usually taken from coppers.

Orange is also a cambodian line but different NR genes - cambodian with NR genes, red, . . . it has black on it so it doesn't have pure blond genes.

So your probability would be: canbodian (various shade, with and without irids), multi red, some rather like cambodian (not sure what to call them) and some are simply red combination.. Perhaps irid multi colors. I doubt you will have copper, but it is possible. You should have some metallic color and since the female has marble genes, some should be marble.

I hope I got it right this time.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #9 
MadMay

Thanks Trilobite I really loved the way he looked also.

Indjo thanks so much for your help! You always seem to be spot on so Im really glad I got a response from you! : D The fry are just now starting to get a little color (see through to grey) and Ill let you know how it goes.