Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #1 
Kithy

Stocking 20g

Hiya.

So I have a 20g long, cycled, with two 60g HOBs. No live plants.

Inside lives one little oranda goldfish who seems lonely now that his friend (also an oranda) has passed.

I don't want to do another goldfish because I think that's just too much big fishies in a small tank. As it stands we'll probably upgrade to a 29 at some point when money is less of an issue than it is currently.

But he does seem lonely and bored. I was thinking of some smaller fish for him to swim around with to at least provide some entertainment. Originally I was thinking of guppies as they don't up my stocking too much, even with 3. But I don't really know much about them in general. It's a stable tank with way too much filtration but good for the goldfish so I'm not worried about a water issue, just space and aggression. A 29 is in the future but not immediately.

I read that cories are good with goldfish but again, that's a fish I know little about.

Last edited by Kithy; 10-30-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #2 
jayr232

Uhmmm goldfish is coldwater fish and the fishes you're talking about are tropical fishes...
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #3 
sandybottom
Reference Team

goldfish are temperate water fish.only a select few corydoras would work.the problem is food competition for food since both are scavengers.it is a balancing act to not over or under feed.the cory would need to be one of the large varities and able to handle temperate water temps.but by this time you are overstocked.the guppies would not work they have different requirements.the tank is too small to add anything more than a couple of nerite snails.
sandybottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #4 
Kithy

Alrighty, thank you for the info. I was looking at the temps after I posted and saw that very few fish had similar temps as goldfish and the ones that did grew pretty big ^^; Goldfish can handle up to about 72 but that's pushing it and all the fish I wanted to put in there have 72 as a minimum and I like being in the middle range for fish.

Think what I will do is rearrange the decor and add a mirror or something to entertain the little guy unless I can find another home for him. The only reason I had goldfish was because I had a 55g but it's irrepairable at this time. Otherwise I'm not really a goldfish person though I do enjoy them they just limit stocking even in large tanks.

Thanks for replying sandybottom and jayr232.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

72 is not the practical limit for goldfish, and you would be surprised at how many "tropical" fish don't actually need that 78-80 people assume all tropical fish need. There are far more cory species that prefer cooler water than warmer water.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote