Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #1 
Ghost32

Question Unknown Type Loach(?) of Cute

Alright, I'll be the first to admit it, I really don't know what I'm doing with this little dude. The LFS lady almost killed him trying to stir him up to show him to me, and I honestly had NO clue where I was going to put him when I got him home, only I knew I did not want him going through that nightmare of that lady trying to stir him out of the rocks again. SO.

$4 down, and I took him home. Looked up water type and aggression level, decided he'd be best off in the goldfish tank, which I keep on the cooler side where there's plenty of places for him to hide, etc, etc, etc...

The only thing I've noticed is that the cories are far less active with him in the tank. I don't know if he took their sleeping spot or if he's chasing them around after dark, but they are keeping to the back tank in the quietest corner lately. Usually they bounce around like cute little crazies. They just seem more laid back all of a sudden. Still very interested in food though, so I'm not sure if I need to be worried about them or not. The goldfish just ignore the worm-like creature, which, I've taken to describing him as my tank dragon.

He has taken up preferred residence in the dark under a little bridge I have in there, and unless I'm feeding, that's where I usually see him. Though, today, he found this little hiding spot by the only fake planted plant I have in the tank. (The other fake plant in there is a silk one I use to baffle filter output and hide some of my airline tubing.) The water is somewhat faster moving, with multiple bubblers (3 near the surface and a large one bottomside) and two filter units.

So anyway, no matter where I look I can't seem to figure out what sort of loach this guy is. The LFS doesn't know. They get in 4 at a time. They just know they are "loaches" and that they hide under the rocks in the tetra tank they are kept in at the shop.

Soooooooo..................... I'm gonna attach some pictures! And someone might be able to tell me what he is? Other than cute. ;) He is a little hard to see but... he is a solid chocolate brown color, and about three or four inches long.
CUE PIC SPAM!!!

TL;DR/wheres the pics?
Anyone know what sort of loach this little guy is?
Ghost32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #2 
PetMania

I saw that same loach at PetCo last night! I wish I could tell you what it was. I am also interested in finding out what it is.

EDIT: just looked at PetSmart.com. That, I believe, is a Black Kuhli Loach.
They grow to be 4" long, need at least 10 gallons, and are very peaceful. They require 72-84* degrees. Now I am wondering if I can keep one of these guys in my sorority.

Last edited by PetMania; 10-28-2013 at 06:15 PM.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 
Ghost32

Awesome! Thank you, Darlin! <3

I would have never thought to look at PetSmart's website for them. Maybe I'll get him a couple buddies if I can find a couple more next time I go to the city....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #4 
PetMania

Yep =) They need to be in groups of 3 or more. Oh, you can't tell the gender, but when they breed, you'll see green eggs. Hehe, I wouldn't mind them breeding
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #5 
jeaninel

Looks like a Dojo loach to me rather than a Kuhli. But Google it and see which one yours most resembles. Dojos get pretty big....much bigger than Kuhlis.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Kuhlis really need a much larger school than 3 and a larger tank than 10 gallons, in my experience. If you only get a few, they tend to hide all the time. I would look to get at least 7-8, if not 10. And they are fast swimmers when they want to be, and a 10 just doesn't provide for that. While a 20 might be the absolute minimum, a 30 inch long tank would be the smallest I would keep them in. I don't agree with providing the bare minimum for pets. Different sources claim different "minimums", and often people that keep the fish don't agree with any of them
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #7 
PetMania

Well, thanks for the info jaysee. I wasn't trying to say that bare minimums were ideal, but rather giving a basis, so that the OP can stack onto that and create a more beneficial environment. =)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

I know, I didn't mean it like that. There are battles that are fought on the betta side, such as the need for a heater and what not. There are also battles on the community side, and "minimums" are always an issue. You have no idea how many people want to cram the biggest fish they can into the smallest tank they can, keeping them in the smallest "school" they can. Basically they set out to provide the absolute minimums - which I find ironic because they often talk about how important the fish are.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #9 
PetMania

If someone were to keep a fish in the "minimums" they should at least provide quality in other areas such as food, heating, and clean water.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #10 
Ghost32

Yipes, guys... O_O''

He's currently in my 50gal, I wouldn't even imagine anything smaller, with his body length at it's current length.

I have been uncertain if he was a dojo; because I have not seen one a solid color that wasn't golden, online :/

so the best thing is to find out what this guy is so I can see if I can't get him some friends from some place that doesn't put my hair totally on end .... you really should have seen this woman who owned the store stirring up the gravel, he's lucky he wasn't hurt or killed. Yes, it was probably unwise of me to take him in the first place but ugggghhhh I just can't stand seeing that kind of thing.

My original stocking goals for this tank sort of 'tanked' (hahaha). So as long as I don't add a fourth goldfish, I can focus on completing things with the cories, and mr loach if he needs a family (which it seems he very much does) in regard to further stocking. Suggestions would be boss from y'all. <3