Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #251 
Indigo Betta

Just lost my new boy Mizu today he had velvet by the time I realized that it was too late.. SIP little Mizu he was a beautiful blue lyretail guppy.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #252 
bambijarvis

Sorry for your loss. :(
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #253 
scoobie

I think this one is pregnant
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #254 
scoobie

These are the two that I think that are pregnant

Here is the yellow one again with the Male
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #255 
Chevko

First picture is definitely female, and maybe pregnant. Yellow fish is a male, it is a tequila sunrise coloring. I have one of those they will wind up getting more red coloring on them.

Sent from the PetGuide.com app available on the Play Store.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #256 
scoobie

The dark male constantly follows both of them and won't leave their sides. The yellow one is almost as fat as the pregnant one. Now that I know that I have a pregnant Guppy. What do I do? How long is their pregnancy and how can I tell when its time? OH MY!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #257 
Chevko

I haven't had any personal experience with pregnant guppies, at least that I can remember, so that's a good question directed to someone else. As far as the shadowing, I'd say it might be a dominance thing. How many guppies do you have? Male and female. Females typically have smaller tail fins and that egg spot as well as a greyer body, but the fins have color to them.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #258 
scoobie

3 Guppies all were suppose to be male.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #259 
Chevko

Accidents happen sometimes. If you're still within your buyer's remorse period you can take her back or, whether or not you're in it still, you can always bag it up and take it in for an aquatic advisor to look at. I did that when I had ich come in. Guy ID'd it almost immediately for me. Or if you're still in you could definitely take it back and claim harassment. I had to take back one of my boys because he simply would not stop harassing everyone in the tank.

How many did you get? I got 6 and ended up with 5 because I changed out the troublemaker for another oto.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #260 
bambijarvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
The dark male constantly follows both of them and won't leave their sides. The yellow one is almost as fat as the pregnant one. Now that I know that I have a pregnant Guppy. What do I do? How long is their pregnancy and how can I tell when its time? OH MY!!!
Pregnancy period is about a month (21-40 days) depending on the female/tank specs/stress and so on.
As for how to tell, I'm not sure from practice(mine birthed while I was asleep/not looking), but I've read to look for them being 'squared off' and for eyes of the fry in the gravid spot?
At 21 days you could also just move her to her own tank till she births and when she's done move her back, use that tank to raise the fry until they're big enough not to be eaten.

I got 12 fry, but you can expect 3 to 70, but I've seen people talk about drops of 200+.

You can feed powdered flakes, or treat them like betta fry(bbs,microworms and the like). Mine /love/ the decaps I've been feeding.

It's better to feed tiny amounts often through they day than 2-3 big meals. In a heated tank they can digest/poop in 30 minutes/an hour so I just feed my fry whenever I remember(every hour or two when I'm home/awake).

water changes~ lots of water changes.

If you won't want to keep the fry they're good as feeders to larger fish(even bettas for the first day or two if you have larger bettas).
Or you can give them to your local fish store.(some may buy them, but usually not for much).
You can also rehome them on here. ^^

Last edited by bambijarvis; 08-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppies