Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #281 
bambijarvis

Shiro is gorgeous.

HB pastel pair from a breeder?
If so the fry will probably be the same(Half black pastels).
I've been thinking of getting a pair myself but I want to see what colors my 50+ fry turnout to be first as I may decide to pick another direction. xD

@Elsewhere, your super pregnant one drop yet?

I'm out of town and I miss my babies sooo much, The older ones were just starting to /really/ color up. I think they had some endler blood within the past couple generation as I'm saw a lot of red markings on my males similar to what I saw on the endlers petsmart had(who were basically colorless up till now) most of my females are looking to be HB with some having heavy blue iridescence.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #282 
Elsewhere

@Bambijarvis- Not the super pregnant one, but the one I had captured instead of her. She had a total of four. One got eaten, two died and there's one wee little baby left. I've released the girls back into the 5g- they were way too stressed in the little 0.5 I had them in for breeding. If they have more I'll scoop them out and deliver them to my friend :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #283 
coreyh

How big should fry be before introducing them back into the tank with the parents? I have 8 fry in their own ten gallon but unfortunately the heater broke a couple of weeks ago (I'd buy another, but this is a one time nursery) and they just aren't growing like I would like to see. They're 4 weeks old and a little over 1cm not including tail. I think this would prevent them from being eaten, but want to make sure.

Last edited by coreyh; 09-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #284 
Chevko

I would say add them in when their colors start showing. Or at last bug enough to not be eaten.

Sent from the PetGuide.com app available on the Play Store.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #285 
bambijarvis

Big enough not to be eaten, around 2 weeks-a month.
Mine were about half an inch by 2 and half weeks when I added them back and they're doing fine.
females can start getting pregnant around 3-6weeks and it can stunt their growth, so if you want to raise them faster/to full size keep the female fry separate.
This also cuts down on how many drops you have very month. xD having 30 pregnant females would kill me on tank space.

Last edited by bambijarvis; 09-17-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #286 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambijarvis View Post
Shiro is gorgeous.

HB pastel pair from a breeder?
If so the fry will probably be the same(Half black pastels).
I've been thinking of getting a pair myself but I want to see what colors my 50+ fry turnout to be first as I may decide to pick another direction. xD

yes they came from a breeder he put one of the fry in the bag as a little gift it wasn't a new born so I'm not sure if they are the parents of that one but most likely they are. the other fry was very tiny so it was probably born in the bag while in the post.

I've named the adult female Sherry:)
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #287 
Indigo Betta

What would be the maximum amount of guppies for my 64 litre male tank without it being overstocked? I would like to get a few more colors for it. I have 10 guppies in it right now.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 09-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #288 
bambijarvis

That's about 16-17 gallons right?

Is it cycled? Do you have plants?
It's all males so a population boom isn't an issue. I'd say you can probably add a couple more(2-3) and be fine.

following the inch per gallon rule, with most guppies being 1-1.5inch you could theoretically do 16 males.
And if cycled and with plants this should be fine.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #289 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambijarvis View Post
That's about 16-17 gallons right?

Is it cycled? Do you have plants?
It's all males so a population boom isn't an issue. I'd say you can probably add a couple more(2-3) and be fine.

following the inch per gallon rule, with most guppies being 1-1.5inch you could theoretically do 16 males.
And if cycled and with plants this should be fine.

Its cycled and it is just a very tiny bit under 17 gallons. I have 3 different types of plants in there at the moment which seem to be surviving fine and I'm planing to get some more plants for it. I think I'm going to make 15 guppies my absolute limit there's just so many beautiful guppy colors out there.

I have one more question. would one male endler be happy to live with lots of male guppies or do endlers need to be with other endlers?

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 09-21-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #290 
bambijarvis

I'm think it'd be fine but I don't know for sure.

My local pet store had a lone endler before I left. If he's still there(now over a week later) I'm going to buy him when I get home. He was so cute I'm kicking myself for not getting him before I left(but I didn't want to spend $3 on him when I had 30+ fry at home and another drop on the way) I can let you know when I do if you haven't already gotten one.

Just make sure it's male.

I totally get being torn with so many lovely strains out there.
I don't know any guppy breeders in the UK, but I recommend looking.
I found a guy here in the states who works with about 20 strains so when I figure out what I'm doing with my fry I can go to him and get 2-3 strains to work with from one breeder. You might be able to find one who can send you 5 different, quality males.

Tags
guppies