Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #1 
DefStatic

So what does everyone keep on hand for meds?

I do not want to have what happened to one of my fish to happen again, if it can be prevented.

If your fish is seeming sick, and you can't figure out what to do, what meds are you keeping on hand to help?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
Nicci Lu

Kanaplex is my go-to antibiotic. It's broad spectrum, has a great success rate and is not harsh on fish. I make sure I always have some on hand, especially since I have to order it online.

My medicine cabinet also includes epsom salt, AQ salt, General Cure (for parasites), IAL, VitaChem, and StressGuard.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

I have AQ and Epsom salt, Paraguard, Jungle Fizz Tabs, and Ich Guard.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #4 
whiskandbowl

I have aquarium salt, epsom salt, stress coat, Fungus Cure, Methelyne Blue, and an antibiotic (can't think of the name! It's a commonly used brand though)
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 
majesticstorm

I have AQ salt, epsom salt, Paraguard, Kanaplex, Stressguard, Prazi, Vitachem, and IAL
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
DefStatic

How do you know what to use and when?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #7 
Mr Degausser

I use stress coat as a water conditioner, but I also have AQ salt on hand.

Anything that might be more specific, I tend to try to diagnose it and then get meds for it.
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #8 
Nicci Lu

I always try and use conservative methods first. Epsom for bloat, swelling, constipation. AQ salt for external wounds, fin rot. The StressGuard I use for either of those conditions because it has an analgesic.

If conservative methods don't work, I would use the Kanaplex. Or, if the situation seems more serious, such as fin rot getting close to the body. Septicemia would immediately call for it, also popeye since it is most commonly an indication of a more serious infection. If there was bloat and epsom hasn't helped it, and the fish has been pooping, I would use Kanaplex.

Unless the cause of the bloat is suspected parasites- the poop being white and stringy, or parasites showing from the vent would be an indication. External parasites- if I saw the fish flashing and rubbing against objects, I would suspect parasites and use an anti-parasitic.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #9 
aquagreen

Good questions and excellent info here. I'm keeping a list of this stuff so I can be prepared for anything when I start my female sorority tank. I already purchased a small quarantine tank. (Hopefully it isn't TOO small. It's pretty tiny...but I only intend on using it when a fish is sick, not to keep in there for long. But I'm thinking 75% to 100% water changes could be needed, which could cause too much stress.) Hmm. I just want to do things right.
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote