Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 
BettaNubRandyLove

Cherry shrimp?

I know it isn't ideal, but I was hoping I could put 1 cherry shrimp in a 1/2 gallon. If I did so how often would I have to change the water for ideal amount of oxygen for the fish in the water. Thanks for the help.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 
Laki

Hi!! I have about 10 adults and closer to 20+ babies in a 2.5g. They're like rabbits in ideal conditions.

You'll want a sponge filter (simple to concoct with an air tube [preferably with adjustable pressure] and aquarium sponge) because the RCS will feed on the BB which grows there. I actually bought a little set up from walmart and I can't remember the brand name but people say to avoid their products at all costs but it cycled my little tank and there are cyclops and planaria and other little creatures in there and they all work together.

RCS like temps to be about 75F and mine have survived eggs in that.

With all the adults (before the babies) I cleaned 50% once a week and used a vacuum to get all their poop, because boy can they poop! Now I do a 10-20% change every day or two to accommodate the babies' and all the waste.

A tip I learned before I knew about all the poop, I had a thick layer of gravel rocks and a cave in there but I got all kinds of problems with the poop hiding behind the cave and in it and sinking below the gravel... I removed it all so there's enough gravel in there for them to climb on but thin enough that you can see the bottom of the tank.

You want live plants. Above all, marimo moss or java moss. With an adequate lump of either you won't have to feed your shrimp messy algae wafers. Some members here blanche veggies like cucumber and carrots for their RCS but mine barely picked at it so I basically stopped feeding them. I just harvest salvinia and java moss in a separate tank with a special light and plunk some in every week or so for the fresh infusoria.

My babies graze the nutrients and BB on the glass (so I stopped scrubbing it with a brush) and yea, in my experience they're pretty low maintenance.

They like company, so you can get 2 females or 2 males (females are bigger and redder) and in a 1/2g with sponge filter on low you can clean it 50% every few days using a turkey baster or super small vacuum- you don't want to suck any babies up!

Last edited by Laki; 05-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #3 
BettaNubRandyLove

Thanks but I cant seem to find any filter that would work in a 1/2 gallon. Any other sugestions?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

You're not likely to find one for a half gallon.

Small tanks for shrimp work fine with live plants. Live plants ARE a filter themselves and shrimp prefer planted tanks, anyways. If you don't have live plants, the fish aren't going to survive. They are very sensitive to water parameters and will die in an unplanted or uncycled tank.

A 1/2 gallon is too small to cycle so a filter won't do you any good.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

I have a marimba and a couple of assorted plants that I could put in there. Any good?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 
BettaNubRandyLove

Bad iPad... Not marimba, marimo.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

It kind of depends on what you mean by other assorted plants. Marimo grows slow and doesn't do that much for water quality. It by itself would probably definitely not be enough.

It really depends on the tank itself. You'd have to have a test kit to do tests on to be sure your tank handles the bioload.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote