Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
wish4coner

I have no clue what happened...

I had Col. Mustard in his tank. He was fine, and I went to bed. I got up and noticed him just staying in one place so but, this isn't overly unusual for him. When I went to feed and change his water, I noticed he was staying in that one spot. He ate but didn't move as usual. As I was cleaning out the bottom of his tank, I noticed these "shavings" at the bottom. Much to my horror, it was his TAIL! It had come completely off. It didn't look bitten or chewed but, as if someone had plucked it right out of him.
He has a heater, a filter and there were no other fish in the tank. It was just too weird. I immediately put him into a hospitalization tank. I looked on here (thank you all, for posting what to do), and put IAL in, with stress coat and a small amount of aquarium salt. Within a few minutes, he was moving around. I had him in a netted area as, I was unsure he could really swim. He seemed to be struggling so, I kept him in the netted floater overnight.
Today, he is making bubbles, swimming all over the place and doing great. I just have no clue what happened. I don't know if he caught it on the heater (he tended to like the way the one in his tank had a gap between suction cups) or, he plucked it out out of stress of some sort. Either way, he's fine today and I am now watching to ensure there is no infection or signs of disease. And, will hope that it all grows back.

UGH! One very worried mother here!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Make sure the water is extra clean until it heals. That will reduce the chances of it getting infected.

Can you post a photo of the damage? People might be able to help you determine what happened, if they can see what it looks like.

Also, can you post a photo of the tank? (Heater, filter, decorations, etc.) Again, people might be able to help you figure out if he got it caught in something.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #3 
wish4coner

Pics

Thanks for the reply. I have him in his own Fluval Chi 6 gallon. The only thing I took out was the plants. He doesn't like them and, they were hard to observe him with his current situation. He is now blowing bubbles. Heater is set to 80. Aquarium salt is in there and am dosing him with Stress Coat. The water is Primed originally.

This is him from the back, where the tail fins are gone:
Name:  KIMG0020.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  26.8 KB

And, the tank he is in:
Name:  KIMG0022.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  25.2 KB

All water levels are fine--actually, perfect. So were the ones before I did a complete water change and vacuumed the substrate.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote