Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
JacquelineAmber

should I still use a heaters for my tanks?

This is be my first year with the betta room. I live in North Las Vegas, so it's really hot over here. It's not even summer yet and we are going in the 95's this week. I'm worried for summer, sometimes we'll go up to 118. My dad doesn't let me turn on the AC upstairs (which is what floor my room is) because our house is rather big so it take a long time to actually cool down and they raise the cost of electricity 3x. It's gets really pricey. Anyways, typically in summer the upstairs rooms are usually around the late to mid 90's.
I don't want my bettas to get stressed, but I don't think I'll be using heaters because of the heat.

Do you guys think they'll be fine?

And also, the heat usually gets trapped in the house so it doesn't cool down too much during night. The only thing I can think of is trying to maintain the rooms temperature as best as possible.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what I should do?? This is so confusing.

Last edited by JacquelineAmber; 05-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
JacquelineAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Your house would need to be a constant 80 degrees or so. People recommend heaters for warm places where the temp may drop a few degrees. The heater keeps it consistent. Consistent is the key word here.

If your house is cooler than 80 degrees, an adjustable heater is a good idea. I don't know if its possible to move the tanks to the coolest room in the house?

The problem here isn't necessarily heat, it's consistency. I've had a fish develop dropsy and die from a temp fluctuation caused by a power outtage so the heater in the tank was temporarily off and the temp dropped then rose again when the power went out.

Honestly I've heard of bettas doing fine in 88* water although its not ideal (78-82 is). The exact temp is not as important as keeping it consistent. You do not want temp spikes and drops!

I'm sorry if this doesn't really answer your question or solve your problem but I do hope it helps a little.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 
Somethingstoofishy

Defintley keep a thermometer. Make sure it doesn't go to high or low. Check it often and If it gets too hot, change the water to cold. Too cold, ADD THE HEATER!!!! With that weather, no way you should use a heater...Just watch out... :)

*Sorry for spelling mistakes*
Somethingstoofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 
Starfish1

Can you move them downstairs for the summer to where it's cooler? Bettas do best between 78-80 so if your room gets into the mid to high 90's so will the bettas water. I don't think they would survive in that high of a temp and for an entire summer. I'd say mid 80's would be the very highest.

If not maybe there's someone who can take them for the summer who is able to keep them cool?

Also, do you have a thermometer in each of their tanks? You'll want to monitor their temp and also when changing their water make sure they go back into the same temp water as they were in before. And then float them in the new water to acclimate them. If the temp changes more than 2 degrees during water changes it can shock them.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #5 
JacquelineAmber

I don't think a temporary power outage causes your little guy dropsy /: Seeing as how dropsy is an bacteria infection that affects the kidneys. Maybe went into shock?? :c

Yeah, I'm pretty much stuck. I've thought of every one of those things. I have way too many bettas to trust with my friends and I don't think they really want 8 tanks at there house. I also thought of adding cold water but it would eventually just turn warm and mess with the cycle of my water.

I talked to my brother, he thought I was exaggerating and said that the upstairs is around the 80's and maybe early 90's if it's a really hot day.

I think I'll just have divide all my ten gallons and that are in 3 gallons in there. Since there more water in the tank there is, the harder for it to get warm. Them like I said before, try to maintain the room temperature .

Thanks everyone(:
JacquelineAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Wink

The bacterial infection (as well as the parasites) that most commonly cause dropsy are opportunistic, as are most fungal/bacterial/parasitic infections or other illnesses.

Every fish tank will be exposed to bacteria and parasites, but a healthy fish won't succumb to those diseases if their immune system is compromised. Unsteady temps and spikes/drops can easily cause a drop in the immune system that causes the fish to fall prey to illness.

Trust me, when I say that temp fluctuations are dangerous. She was my favorite girl super spunky and active and responsive. She was healthy and in good conditions, clean warm water. I saw symptoms start almost immediately after the power outtage and I lost her in three days, watched as her health and her spunk rapidly declined until she no longer had any strength left to move or eat.

I very highly suggest that you try to find a way to keep the temp CONSISTENT. Attempting to add colder water to the tank will do exactly the opposite and cause quick temp drops.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 
Myates

Healthy bettas can withstand drops/rises in temps of a few degrees. If the drop/rise is pretty gradual then you shouldn't have to worry about it harming the fish.. they should be fine in temps up to mid 90s. As long as the temp doesn't drop 5+ degrees in a matter of minutes, then you're fine.. in my opinion.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #8 
bniebetta

They should probably be fine, but you might consider investing in some adjustable heaters with thermostats. These kind of heaters will only kick on when the temp drops below the temp you set it for, otherwise they will turn off, so your tanks wont overheat. I think they would still be a good idea just in case the temp fluctuates in your house.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #9 
Starfish1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Your house would need to be a constant 80 degrees or so. People recommend heaters for warm places where the temp may drop a few degrees. The heater keeps it consistent. Consistent is the key word here.

If your house is cooler than 80 degrees, an adjustable heater is a good idea. I don't know if its possible to move the tanks to the coolest room in the house?

The problem here isn't necessarily heat, it's consistency. I've had a fish develop dropsy and die from a temp fluctuation caused by a power outtage so the heater in the tank was temporarily off and the temp dropped then rose again when the power went out.

Honestly I've heard of bettas doing fine in 88* water although its not ideal (78-82 is). The exact temp is not as important as keeping it consistent. You do not want temp spikes and drops!

I'm sorry if this doesn't really answer your question or solve your problem but I do hope it helps a little.

I agree with this I also lost my favorite girl during the power outage. Mine was actually a one day power outage then a few days later a 3 day power outage so they were in the dark and 70 degree water that fluctuated twice. All my others were ok though.

Id keep a thermometer in your room and in the tanks and see what the actual temp gets up to. It fluctuates a little naturally and that's ok I'm just worried about too high of a temp.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Only in our fish tanks do the fish get such a constant temperature. Fluctuations are normal in nature. What do you think happens to the water temp when there's a heavy rain?

If the ambient room temp (and water) is higher than what the heater is set at, then the heater will just not come on. You can remove it you want, but there's no real point to doing so if you are just going to put it back in later on. Now me - I removed my heaters one summer and figured out that I didn't need them. My tanks have been unheated for a few years now (until very recently I had about 10 show tanks with almost 50 species of "tropical" fish).

On the subject of power outages - I was without power (and heat) for 4 days after hurricane sandy. The water was 58 degrees - my betta survived just fine. The majority of the fish managed it quite well. If it had been just one more day I think I would have had some heavy losses though.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote