Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
Graceful

My tetras died! :( & what is this fish called?

This is my first "real" tank. It is a 10-gallon and yes, it has been cycled. It is currently housing a male betta, four fish I can't remember the name of, and one remaining tetra.

Last night I found one tetra dead on the bottom of the tank. I don't think the betta killed him, as the little guy's body was completely intact, including fins.

This morning I found another one dead. He was sucked up against the filter! I don't know if he got stuck there and then died, or if he died and then floated too close to it.

The remaining tetra is sluggish and staying at the top of the tank with his mouth to the surface. What could be wrong?

Oh - one more question. What is this fish called, I bought four of them and promptly forgot their name (the one on the left):

The mystery fish are doing very well, by the way. Betta is not bothering them at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, the "mystery" fish are Harlequin Rasboras! Not an easy name to remember, I'm not surprised I forgot. :)

Last edited by Graceful; 05-06-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

How did you cycle the tank? Not saying this is you, but some people think cycling is just letting the tank sit empty for a week while others just use bacterial supplements and don't bother to test to see if they even worked.

Neon tetras are quite delicate fish. They usually do best in mature set-ups.

Have you checked your water parameters at all? That would be my first port of call. Ammonia and nitrites as either of these can cause gasping.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
How did you cycle the tank? Not saying this is you, but some people think cycling is just letting the tank sit empty for a week while others just use bacterial supplements and don't bother to test to see if they even worked.

Neon tetras are quite delicate fish. They usually do best in mature set-ups.

Have you checked your water parameters at all? That would be my first port of call. Ammonia and nitrites as either of these can cause gasping.
I bought the tank off Craigslist, the owner said it was already cycled. I replaced half the water with tap water treated with water conditioner, then added the fish the next day.

I just bought a water testing kit, I will try and figure out how to use it now.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

You may find your tank is not cycled at all, or you lost some beneficial bacteria by the tank running empty until you got your fish.

Some people have odd ideas as to what being 'cycled' constitutes so the old owner may not have even cycled the tank properly in the first place.

Did you get a liquid one? Strips are okay for a general idea of water quality, but I find liquid is a lot more accurate.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #5 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You may find your tank is not cycled at all, or you lost some beneficial bacteria by the tank running empty until you got your fish.

Some people have odd ideas as to what being 'cycled' constitutes so the old owner may not have even cycled the tank properly in the first place.

Did you get a liquid one? Strips are okay for a general idea of water quality, but I find liquid is a lot more accurate.
Yes, it is liquid. It was $30 so I hope it's a good quality kit!

EDIT: Would the other fish have died already if the tank is not cycled? I have a betta and four Harlequins, and they are doing fine as far as I can tell.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

It depends. Some fish are hardier than others so can tolerate poorer water conditions for longer. However, it does catch up with most fish eventually either in disease or a premature death.

I am not saying 100% it is a water quality issue but it helps to be able to cross it off the list by getting the readings.

Also neon tetras are a very sensitive fish, so I would not be surprised for them to die off first.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #7 
erinbirdsong

The fish could have been sick top begin with. Test the parameters and then you can try to narrow down the cause.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #8 
Graceful

Testing the water now. I'm brand new to this so it will take a bit for me to read the directions. I'll let you know.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 
Graceful

Waiting for the ammonia test to come out.

My last tetra died. Swim in peace little fishies, I'm sorry your lives were so short. :(

EDIT: Ammonia is at 0, testing for nitrite now.

EDIT: Nitrite is at 0.

EDIT: NitrAte is very close to 0. The vial is very slightly darker than the yellow 0 ppm.

So what could this mean?

Also - I completely forgot to change the filter. The previous owner said it needed changing. I will run out today and get a new one.

Last edited by Graceful; 05-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
erinbirdsong

Did you clean the tank before you put fish in it? Perhaps the previous owner had some sort of disease and it should have been cleaned.

But some bacteria supplement as well it will help build good bacteria in the new filter.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, mystery fish, new tank, tetras