Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 
Silverdragon MDS

Velvet? Help?!

Ok so I bought my little Lunar at Petsmart about 3 weeks ago. This is my first Betta and I have only a little fish experience prior to him but I'm pretty positive he has velvet.
His color was a lil pale in spots when I got him but he is getting worse not better. Ive had problems getting him to eat, a small portion of his lower fin is clamped, and he has started rubbing on his decorations resulting in a tear in his back fin. Ive been researching and came across a description of velvet. I looked him over with a flashlight and it looks like he has a shiny bronze coating spread along his body and into his fins.
I'm needing some help on how to treat him.

I moved him back to the 1 gal. Bowl I originally bought with him because the heater for his 3.5 gal went out and had to return it and cant find another one that will work. All he has in there is some polished gravel and a small Betta heater. Water temp is at 78-79 F currently. The heater can make the water at least a lil warmer than that I know but not sure how much. I treat. My tap water with either topfin Betta water conditioner or tetra aquasafe.
Silverdragon MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 
Auburn Sakura

I'm not an expert on fish disease, but you should probably post some pictures of him on here, and take a look at this if it really is velvet... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

Hopefully someone with more experience will come by give some suggestions. I hope you're little guy gets better! D:) Good luck! (:)
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #3 
Silverdragon MDS

Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all register 0 in both tanks. Ph is 8ish in both. Not sure how to reduce ph though.

I have not been able to get him to eat the Betta pellets I got him. Have been getting him to eat a mixture of tetra tropical flakes and tetra Betta flake. (He wont eat the same one twice in a row. Lol) I feed him twice a day, 8 am and 9pm. Just a small pinch. Normally me sitting there talking to him he will eat most of it. Maybe equalling approximately 3 pellets?

Any and all advice welcome. Need any more info let me know. I would post pictures but my computer isn't working and I cant get them to load from my phone.

I have not medicated him yet cause I am not sure what to do and I have read that the
"Fix" suffixed mere can have adverse effects on bettas.

Please help! Thank you!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 
Auburn Sakura

You're welcome, and as long as you can get the pictures sometime, I'm sure it would help. It's a good sign that he eating though. :) As long as he doesn't get too stressed out or clamped, he should be doing okay. The next tough thing is the medicine... Hmm... I don't know much about medicines yet, so someone will have to help you with that. I did some research, and it looks like these are some medicines you could use...
API General Cure
Aquarium Products Organi-Cure
Hikari Ich-X
Mardel CopperSafe
Seachem Cupramine
Seachem Metronidazole
Seachem AquaZole
Seachem ParaGuard
Seachem PolyGuard
I don't know much about them myself, so the best thing to do would be to research each. We still don't know if your little friend has Velvet for sure, but it sounds like it's a pretty safe bet that he does from what your saying. Hmm... I'll try to come up with more info. (:)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

If it is really velvet, you will want a copper based medicine to kill it off. In my experience velvet is much harder than ich to completely eradicate and can be very hard on the fish.

Velvet can use photosynthesis, and most velvet/ich medications are light sensitive so it's advised you wrap the tank in a blanket or something to block out the light. You can bump the temperature up to around 82-84 degrees as this will speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

Otherwise I have found treatment generally takes around 2-3 weeks before the velvet is completely gone. You cannot just stop when you can no longer see it on the fish as velvet has a complex life-cycle and may not be completely dead leading to re-infection later on.

Now the above is only IF your fish truly has velvet. Velvet will look like a dusting over the actual scales. If this is the case then you should start treatment ASAP.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #6 
Silverdragon MDS

I'm continuing to monitor him for the moment. I know something isn't quite right, but I dont want to hurt him by medicating him for something he doesn't have. I'm worried that maybe the bronze im seeing might be part of his coloring. He kinda reminds me of a mood ring the way he changes color.

thanks for the info on the medications I'll do my research on them and hopefully what i need will be availible around here. if you have suggestions on what other than velvet could be wrong let me know too.

Grrrr... i wish my computer would work so i could post the pics.
Thanks again for any and all advice.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/VelvetEarly.jpg

Velvet looks like that. See how it is like a dusting not an actual colour.

If you have a strong flashlight, check the fin membrane, especially the pectorals, and around the gills. I have found this is where the velvet will attach itself to first.

If it is velvet you want to hit it with medication ASAP. I am not usually a strong advocate of medication, but I lost quite a few fish to a velvet infection that went right through all my tanks (the fish I keep are particularly prone to it). Also I have found they pick up secondary infections if they are irritated enough to scratch themselves raw.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 
Silverdragon MDS

I am now sure what my lil guy has is velvet, and have started him early this morning after i got off work. I moved him back to the 3.5 gal. tank for treatment cause he was getting too stressed in the 1 gal. Took out all ornaments, but left some gravel, airstone, and filter.

I am currently using API Stress Coat + (to help with stress and his fin healing) and Coppersafe for the velvet. Almost as soon as i started the treatment he unclamped his fins, but when he did I noticed that part of his bottom fin is curled up. I'll be watching him closely for fin rot as I have read that it can sometimes set in with velvet. so far no coloration changes in his fin, so i am hoping that starting the treatments will prevent that.

Also i am confused, is fin rot bacterial, fungal, or parasitic? Nothing I have read is very clear on that point and i would like to know for future reference.

If anyone has any more advice on this i would be very appreciative of the information and Thank You so much to those that helped me figure out what to do for Lunar!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I think (but I am no expert) that fin rot is bacterial.

Remember to keep your tank completely covered when treating for velvet and to bump the temperature up as this will speed up the life cycle of the parasite. I am pretty certain you can only kill velvet once it has reached the stage where it falls off the fish and is in the water looking for a new host to infect.

I find that if the infestation is bad, fish start to pick up secondary infections on minor wounds (probably why fin rot is seen on infected fish). I think simply because the immune system is so knocked around.

It's good you started treatment early. Velvet is a very nasty thing and can kill quite quickly.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #10 
Auburn Sakura

I'm glad he un-clamped his fins for you. I hope little Lunar gets better, and good luck! Just keep the treatment up, I'm sure he'll be better in no time. (:) And LittleBettaFish is right, keep the temperature up. I'm sure he'll recover. ^.^