Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Exclamation Heater Temp Spike.

So I left this morning to take a trip into the next town for some things I needed. When I left I checked boys to make sure everything was okay temp, everyone was still alive, the norm. All was good. Temp was 82 on both tanks. I was gone aprox. 4.5 hours when I came in to chexk again my mini light on my 1g QT tank had blown (no glass broken thankfully) and my divided10g was nearly 100 F. I quickly made some ice bags and but one on both sides of the tank and that was about 5 min ago the tank now reads at 92 and the ice bags are almost melted. I have also replaced the light bulb in the mini light and it seems to be okay for now. My question now is what could have caused this. The light is not plugged into the power strip my heater was but both are on the same outlet thingy one on top the other on bottom. Everything else is fine including my stuff on the power strip.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 
nel3

if your room temp didnt reach that temp then the main suspect would be the heater. some brands are defective at times to the point where they wont work at all or just wont shut off once they start working. what brand of heater is in the tank?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #3 
LucidSong

Uhh... its an older model that has been used before but not in a while. Its a Aquaculture Aquarium Heater with an adjustable temp.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #4 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidSong View Post
Uhh... its an older model that has been used before but not in a while. Its a Aquaculture Aquarium Heater with an adjustable temp.
you can try buying a newer heater or testing out the older one in a fishless tank if possible to monitor the temps. the fish may not like much going without a heater (which is where a newer reliable heater comes in) for a short time. if the fish is in an unheated tank while the heater goes in another tank with temps monitored then you can rule out room temp and also a possible defective heater at the same time.

what your normal room temp and can you adjust it? when i had my female PK in the first few days of QT i raised the room temp to 24c and the 1g qt stayed at 23.5c (for a few days till a good heater was proven ok). she probably was a bit colder but it was within tolerances.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #5 
LucidSong

Well I had an unadjustable Tetra heater that I've put in as the older one is now no longer working. But I'm getting a tank and a whole bunch of new accessories later today and 3 new heaters come with it so Ill see what I can find in there. The tank is now sitting at 75 which is lower than I'd like it but for now is acceptable
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Well I had an unadjustable Tetra heater that I've put in as the older one is now no longer working. But I'm getting a tank and a whole bunch of new accessories later today and 3 new heaters come with it so Ill see what I can find in there. The tank is now sitting at 75 which is lower than I'd like it but for now is acceptable
sounds like a good plan, just keep a close eye on that tetra heater for the short time until the new supplies get in.

not all tetra heaters work, some wont go on at all and some will only cook any fish inside. keep in mind there are still people here who have tetra heaters and have no operational issues with them.

ive gone with elite submersible brand, Hydor is also a good brand among other companies.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #7 
LucidSong

Well got in my new tank. Silly thing was calcium crusted and I ended up tossing a lot out. 2 of the heaters were broken and the two left over need to be used for the once believed 50g that is actually an 80g. So its to the store I go once I get my bills and such payed and everything all caught up.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Well got in my new tank. Silly thing was calcium crusted and I ended up tossing a lot out. 2 of the heaters were broken and the two left over need to be used for the once believed 50g that is actually an 80g. So its to the store I go once I get my bills and such payed and everything all caught up.
too bad you couldnt salvage too much from the deal, im sure there were somethings that can be reused. just keep an eye on the heater and hope for the best until you're caught up enough to get a heater.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #9 
LucidSong

Yeah. Its been keeping it at a steady 74 F.
As much as a did have to get rid of I got to keep a lot. Just not the heaters.but the one that I have in the 80g has it at some where around 85-90 F (as best I can tell by feeling it and knowing how 80 feels in the other tanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #10 
nel3

you're one of the lucky one so far with the tetra heaters, they dont seem to be very consistent so sometimes defective one still get purchased. i hope it remains in good working condition until you can get more supplies.