Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #1 
imabettanoob

Just got one, help! :(

I've honestly wanted one for awhile, but never got around to researching or getting anything for one. Someone just bought me one, claiming it could live in this vase with a plant (it has air access)

It didn't sit right with me, so I googled betta care, and here I am! I told my husband to pick up the stuff on the way home, but that will be in a couple hours! What can I do for the poor thing in the meantime? Do you think I could use a plastic tub or something to give it a bit more space? Also, it acts hungry, but it spits the food out (dried bloodworms). Again, I told my husband to bring home something else, but will he be okay? I hate for him to go hungry :( He's a double-tailed red male betta.

I keep checking on him lol I think there's less bloodworms in there now, so maybe he decided to eat them, but maybe they're tangled up in the plant somewhere.

Heeeelllp!!!
imabettanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He should be fine for now. What is your husband picking up?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm so happy you found us! And that you want to take care of him, it's really awesome.

Yeah sometimes bloodworms can be too hard for them so letting them soak in the water to make them a little softer can be a bit easier for them to chew.

Don't leave the food in there though, you can let it sit for no more than five minutes, otherwise it will contaminate the water.
And have you seen the Betta Care sticky? It's got loads of good info in it for basic care of your new little guy! Here's the link if you haven't seen it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058 and another good one: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask, even if you think it's silly! We always try our best to help here and I hope you enjoy your stay here and your new guy!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 
imabettanoob

The tank (I told him at least 2 gallons, maybe 5 or more) the heater, a little cave (no sharp edges) and we'll start with this plant for now as well, I figured I'd go shopping for more stuff for him later. You think that will be enough to start with? :/

We have things like a lamp, and thermometer. I can also get a hold of water test strips for real cheap.

I told him to pick up brine shrimp? What other things can I get for him to eat?

Edit: Thanks for letting me know about taking them out! He definitely ate a couple :)

Last edited by imabettanoob; 05-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! That's a great start, he'll enjoy that much more too.

He can actually eat pellets, you can get him New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets, both have nutrients that Betta's need, it's most suggested on this forum :)
I don't know much about live or frozen foods so I can't really comment much about it. But all my boys and girls get NLS most of the week with Omega One thrown in twice or three times with Freeze-dried bloodworms as a treat since they lack severely in the nutrients that Betta's need.

Glad he's eating though, good sign :)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #6 
imabettanoob

He seems really sweet :) He swims over to the side with my face when I walk up, and likes to swim to my finger. He acts like he's itching to swim around, I wish he had more space. I told my hubby about the pellets :D
Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, he knows he's going to get an upgrade soon! That's good though, I'd like to see pictures of him if you could snap some!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 
imabettanoob

Here he is in his cramped little vase. I'll post more pics once I get him in his new home in another hour-ish :)
(was gonna put the pic in the post, but it's huge lol)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute! You said he was a double tail? Unless I'm not seeing it correctly he looks like a regular Veiltail, but he's still pretty :) He's going to color up very nicely once he goes into his new home!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #10 
imabettanoob

I honestly have no idea, I was just saying what it said on his original container, in case it made a difference in what I should be doing for him.