Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #1 
Racoon293

suggestions on a cheap set-up

My daughters friend just got a betta fish. The fish is in a .5gal. bowl. The family is going through some troubles, so i was thinking maybe i could do something nice for them. I would like to get them a better set-up for their fish. Maybe a 2 or 3 gallon tank and a deccent low cost heater. Any suggestions? I could maybe spend about $35. I got some gravel, a small silk plant,and some Omega One food that i could give them. And I will most definitly suggest this forum to them!! Thanks y'all.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Walmart has some nice 5 gallon kits for $25 or so. They ship to home for free. I got the one with LED lights but didn't like it because the Bettas don't show up very well. I think the fluorescent or incandescent ones are cheaper.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #3 
Kithy

The most expensive thing you're going to run into is a heater :X They don't come particularly cheap unfortunately and the ones that do sometimes aren't reliable.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
SheilaandherBettas

Just a thought. I keep my eye open for used tanks, bowls etc. at second hand stores, Craigslist, garage sales. Picked up a 2 gallon hexagon tank at a thrift store dirt cheap. Lime deposits come off with vinegar. Vinegar rinses clean so it leaves no toxic residue.
SheilaandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #5 
whiskandbowl

Definitely look at garage and yard sales. I just picked up a 10 gallon with a stand and a ton of accessories for $35
For now, just make sure they are educated on proper water changes and everything. Getting them a bigger tank won't make much difference if they aren't willing to put time into taking care of it
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

an all glass 2.5 is usually about $10 where I've seen them, a 1.5 gal kritter keeper, I can get for $6
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #7 
NozzALa

The 3 gallon 360 view with an under gravel filter from Walmart is nice, easy, and reasonable at 30 bucks. Then just get gravel, a few plants, and you're good. Anyway, it'll probably be around 50-70 bucks total even going for the cheapest options.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you're near a Petsmart or Petco, you could get this:

Large critter keeper (3 gal capacity) - $15
Marina Betta 8w heater - $12

I have several setups like this. The critter keepers are acrylic, so they're lightweight which makes it easier for water changes. They also scratch fairly easily. But I haven't had any problems with them. Also they provide a good amount of horizontal swimming area.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-07-2013 at 07:05 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Just ditch the kritter keepers because they're actually more expensive per gallon than the tanks are! You can get a 10 gal at walmart for 12$, then another 15$ for a small heater. The heaters for the 10g's work fine, they're not adjustable, but they keep the temps about 77 or 78, perfectly fine for bettas. You can also do a sponge filter for about 10$, just get an air pump, airline tubing, an airstone, a short section of vacuum hosing or a peice of PVC, and a car wash sponge, and you're good to go about making one. PM me for details if you need instructions. :)

I'll check out walmart.com for some other options as well...I'm fairly sure they've got a 5g for a good price that comes with a filter...I'll get back to you on it. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 
Racoon293

Thanks y'all for all the great suggestions!! I do have a Walmart and a petsmart close by. I did advise them on water changes. Thanks again everyone.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote