Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #1 
SinCrisis

betta tank

Hey, im moving into college and space doesnt allow me to have a large aquarium. So i was wondering if a 1.5 gallon tank with filter and aquarium is enough for a betta and an oto? I know 1.5is already toos mall for a betta but i currently have no space or money to buy a 5 gallon tank. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a tall tank on the market that i can use for bettas that doesn't take up more than 8"x8" ?
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #2 

If you don't have the space or money to provide for the fish then IMHO don't subject the fish to uncomfortable conditions. :(
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think a 1.5 gallon tank would be fine for just 1 betta. I have my bettas in gallon bowls and they do just fine in them. You need to keep up with water changes though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #4 
nav2008

if you kept up with water changes your betta should be fine but not a betta and an otto... i know you can get a 5.5 gallon tank just plain no filter and such for about $10... if you could transfer some of your old stuff to that it might be ok?i dont have any experience with ottos so i dont know their requirements... but i know you cant keep a betta and an otto in 1.5 gallons
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #5 
StandingStonesArcher

Depending on the size of your dorm a 2.5 gallon tank works just fine too. I've got a REALLY small room and my 2.5 gallon aquarium fits great with room to spare on one side of my desk.
StandingStonesArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #6 
SinCrisis

yea i try to keep up with the water changes, like once every 2 or 3 days. I'm trying to save up for an eclipse corner 5, would that house a betta and an otto properly? Also, can i keep ghost shrimp with a betta? ive heard that bettas eat them after a while, but then ive also heard stories of the betta living with ghost shrimp peacefully...
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote