Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 
hemritclaeb

Cloudiness and the Safety of my Fish

I'm fairly new to bettas and I set up a 5 gal unfiltered tank today. I used sand as the substrate since I put live plants in the tank. I also used that bio magnet stuff that came with the sand. It's been an hour and while the water is a bit clearer, it's not crystal clear yet. Is it safe enough to put my fish in his new tank with minor turbidity or should I keep him in the little cup for a day while the sand settles. I was really hoping to move him today because he is very energetic and has no room in that stupid cup but I don't want to hurt him. Also will this be a persisting problem during water changes? Thanks for any help. Sorry I'm so new to this.
hemritclaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
isochronism

It is recommended that sand (or gravel) should be rinsed very well a few times before using.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3 
hemritclaeb

I rinsed it a few times but I guess that doesn't quite do it does it? Will it settle eventually or do I have to start over?
hemritclaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
VJM

It will settle. Wait a bit and then put him in.

Since you have a sand substrate (which means you can't do complete water changes), I am assuming you are doing a fish-in cycle. Having a filter will make that easier and faster. The surface area in the filter provides lots of real estate for beneficial bacteria.

I am also not crazy about putting anything in a when I don't knowexactky what it is, what it does, how it does it, and what it may effect. That is just me, but it is something to think about. "Aquarium safe" frequently isn't.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote