Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 
javert

Best way to baffle aeration?

I used to have an undergravel filter but I was always unsatisfied with the turbidity of the water and then Memín got fin rot, which I blamed on the poor filtration. Fortunately, he recovered and is alive and well, and I bought a submerged filter that so far is keeping the water crystal clear.

The issue is, now that the end of the air tube is on the open, the bubbles are big, fast and create a water current that seems to drive Memín crazy as he has either swims against the current or resigns to stay at one half of the tank, which sort of beats the purpose of giving him a 10 gal tank to roam. I tried with an airstone but the bubbles still seem too big and messy. I'm using one of the two outlets of a pump specified for 20 gal.

Although it is probable that aeration may be overkill for a betta, I plan to bring some Platys to the tank since I have gotten mild "suggestions" from family that the tank looks a bit empty. I know those will demand aeration, so I'm looking for a way to provide enough aeration without creating a fast current. How do you deal with it? Are there accesories designed to baffle the bubbles? If so, how do they manage it without coalescing the bubbles?
javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 
Nicci Lu

What type of filter is it?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #3 
javert

It is a Elite Stingray 10
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 
Saphira101

Platies aren't usually the best addition to a Betta's home. They tend to nip the fins of Bettas, opening the door for bacteria. Perhaps you could add something like guppies instead? Make sure you quarantine them for at least 2 weeks in a separate tank before putting them with your Betta.

Good luck!

Saphira

P.S. do you have an aquarium heater?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #5 
Nicci Lu

I'd never heard of it- I had to look it up. It's trippy looking, I'll give it that much. Not being familiar with any filters of this style, I'm not sure how much help I'll be... However, I can tell you that the two most common ways to baffle the filter outtake are to use a water bottle or an extra filter sponge. Pretty sure the water bottle isn't going to work for your style filter. For the sponge, I buy the large sheets so I can cut it to whatever size I can want. If you can find a way to rubberband the sponge around the outtake so the sponge baffles the flow...

EDIT: Guppies, with their long fins, can be pretty iffy too with a betta. I think it really depends upon the personality of the fish involved and whether there are lots of hides. Both combinations have been done successfully, and both have been done disastrously. With either platties or guppies, I would make sure there was a backup plan in case they didn't work out with the betta.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 05-08-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #6 
javert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Platies aren't usually the best addition to a Betta's home. They tend to nip the fins of Bettas, opening the door for bacteria. Perhaps you could add something like guppies instead? Make sure you quarantine them for at least 2 weeks in a separate tank before putting them with your Betta.

Good luck!

Saphira

P.S. do you have an aquarium heater?
Yes, I do have a heater and keep temperature at about 27 ºC.

I thought only Tiger Barbs nipped Betta fins, I have read about some positive experiences with Platys although some posts also mentioned nipping, particularly from male Platys. Oh boy...

As far as I know, guppies tails are too much competition for Bettas to accept and tend to kill them, so I must think about other fish. Are Mollys or corydoras safe?

Anyway, how do you aerate medium or big tanks without stirring the water a lot?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #7 
Nicci Lu

Mollys are brackish fish, so that's not a good combo. Corys are virtually fool-proof with a betta. They're very peaceful, yet don't let betta posturing intimidate them, and they dwell on the bottom. If a betta can't get along with corys, then he's not going to get along with anyone. Not sure what size tank you have, but loaches are good with bettas, too. Some people have good luck with tetras, although their colorfulness and quickness irritates some bettas.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 
javert

Attachment 116889Ok, after a brief digression about company (help is appreciated anyway), I return with my question. For a better idea, here is my tank in its actual configuration:

As you can see, the filter I'm using doesn't include a power head that generates bubles so I'm providing aeration with a separate air pump. The bubble stream on the left looks quite big and it gives me the impression that it makes Memín slightly unconfortable, so I'm looking for a solution that allows me to include other non-labyrinth fish. I would appreciate something that doesn't make me toss my recently acquired filter, but if necessary I'm willing to invest in something else. If something like special airstones or rigid tube can provide baffling, the better.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #9 
Backlash

I have never seen a UGF like that.. All of the ones that I have seen and owned had a riser tube that went 3/4 of the way up the tank, and contained the bubbles until they were near the surface, reducing the turbulence inside the tank..

I have also kept Platy's and Betta's together for years without any dramas.. Just add a few extra caves and plants for them to hide in.. I would keep one male with 2-3 females and you should be fine..Your Betta will love you for all the free "live" meals he/she will receive..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #10 
Nicci Lu

Okay, I begin to understand a bit better- it's an air pump you need to baffle in some way. I honestly don't know if there's a way to do that. Perhaps if you started a thread titled specifically 'How to baffle an air pump', or something similar, you might find someone who has an answer.

Most of us here don't use air pumps in our betta tanks for precisely the reason you're having difficulties. I know you'd rather not have to buy a new filter, but the easiest to way to provide oxygen in a community tank with a betta is through an HOB filter or an internal filter like the Tetra Whisper. Both have outtakes which pour water back into the tank above the surface. The resulting surface agitation replenishes the oxygen supply in the water, and is more efficient that the bubbles that an air pump makes. The water recirculated by the filter is making contact with oxygen in the atmosphere, and then being dumped back in the tank. In fact, if you have a planted tank, the air pump can be detrimental because it chases CO2 out of the water.

With this style filter, it is easy to create a sponge baffle that goes around the lip of the outtake. With this method, you can raise or lower the sponge to adjust surface agitation and current. I have my baffle raised so that there is barely any agitation at all, and this is in tanks with oxygen level sensitive fish. Never had a problem. Only in the summer months, when the tank temperature gets higher, will I be concerned about oxygen levels.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...