Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1 
Ibn Saeed

Question My First Betta fish

Hello

I am new to these forums.

I just bought a betta fish yesterday for a local fish store.

I also purchased Sera Bettagram granulates, I plan on going out to purchase Freezed dried shrimps, if i can find any, just for weekly treats.

The granulates, look quite tiny

And the back of the packet

Now the feed is not pellets, its granulates. The size is quite small. The granulate does not sink and it stays at the surface and my betta eats it up quite quickly.

How much feed should i give him ?

Should i feed him 1 granulate in the morning, 1 in afternoon and 1 at night ?

Here is a size comparison

Last edited by Ibn Saeed; 05-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Ibn Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hi there and welcome to the forum! To give you some idea of how much a betta should eat their stomach is about the size of their eye. I feed my bettas three small pellets twice a day and give them a mixture of frozen foods once a week.

Freeze dried foods really aren't very good for fish, they can cause constipation and bloat which can kill. If you want to give your betta a treat then buying him some frozen food would be a much safer option and is much more tasty for him too.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 
Jexx

I think you will need to feed him several pellets twice a day. I would do 4 in the morning and 4 at night. Also I would consider switching to a different brand as the ingredients in this one are quite low quality. Perhaps Omega One Betta Buffet pellets or New life Spectrum pellets would be a better choice. If those are not available, look for a betta pellet/ granulate that has whole fish as the first ingredient.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
I think you will need to feed him several pellets twice a day. I would do 4 in the morning and 4 at night. Also I would consider switching to a different brand as the ingredients in this one are quite low quality. Perhaps Omega One Betta Buffet pellets or New life Spectrum pellets would be a better choice. If those are not available, look for a betta pellet/ granulate that has whole fish as the first ingredient.
Thanks for the advice.

I really have to go to a some stores and try to find good quality food for my betta.

I will try and see if the above brands you mentioned could be found, if not, i will try the last option you listed above.

Also, can you check the size of the present granulate, are they smaller than pallets ?

how many granulates should i feed based on the size of those granulates in the image above.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #5 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hi there and welcome to the forum! To give you some idea of how much a betta should eat their stomach is about the size of their eye. I feed my bettas three small pellets twice a day and give them a mixture of frozen foods once a week.

Freeze dried foods really aren't very good for fish, they can cause constipation and bloat which can kill. If you want to give your betta a treat then buying him some frozen food would be a much safer option and is much more tasty for him too.
Thanks for the advice. I am still researching on betta fishes and their diets etc.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #6 
Jexx

the granulates that are in your food seem to be the same size as the pellets i feed my bettas. Betta pellets are really just granulates. We just call them pellets although they are much smaller.
Depending on the activity level and size of your betta, I would feed 3 or 4 of the granulates 2 times a day.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #7 
Ibn Saeed

I had purchased my betta yesterday and today when i woke up, i saw him starting to make bubbles, on the sides and in the middle.

Yesterday, there were no bubbles.

Is this a good sign ?

Yesterday, i moved my finger closer to him and saw him flutter in reverse, quite rapidly. But i only did it once, as i noticed that it scared him a bit.

Today, i moved my finger and brought it closer to him, and even touched the glass, he would move quite slowly to my finger, close to touching the glass.

Last edited by Ibn Saeed; 05-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #8 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
the granulates that are in your food seem to be the same size as the pellets i feed my bettas. Betta pellets are really just granulates. We just call them pellets although they are much smaller.
Depending on the activity level and size of your betta, I would feed 3 or 4 of the granulates 2 times a day.

Is twice daily more appropriate or can i feed him 3 times daily ?

For e.g

2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night ?

or should the feed be kept to 2 times daily ?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #9 
Jexx

I think 3 or 4 in the morning and then 3 or 4 at night would be appropriate.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #10 
Ibn Saeed

Quote:
I think 3 or 4 in the morning and then 3 or 4 at night would be appropriate.
so around 6 to 8 granulates daily, in total. Is that correct ?

The store salesperson told me to feed him with 2 granulates daily once.