Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #1 
love4bettas

Sponge filters vs the Whisper

Hi. I am new here and introduced myself and a very good suggestion was made regarding my question below. I posted it under the wrong thread so if you think you read this somewhere before, you have. lol.

I have a question regarding using a filter vs no filter. I want to use filters in each 3 gallon tanks. (I have 10) I have been told by LFS that they don't need filters and the employees who actually have bettas don't use them. I am torn as to whether filters are needed. I wanted to use sponge filters and feed 9 of them off of one pump with the T's. Is this feasable? If so, since all toll the 9 tanks add up to 18 gallons so would I get a pump for a 20 gallon tank for there to be enough power to 9 filters? How would you do it or would you for-go the filters.

I did try the i10's and the flow goes straight down and pushes the particles away where the intake is. Dumb setup for this filter. It's ashame too cause really they would have been perfect. They really worked well for airation but not for actually cleaning anything. I look forward to lots of posts and more reading here. Can't wait to get responses to my question.
love4bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I LOVE my sponge filters & my boys seem to like them. Two of my males I tend to find resting on their filters. I have 2 10g tanks running on one pump which works great so long as I don't plan to move either tank.I think the pump is a 40 because I tend to go double my tank size. I don't know if I would run 9 filters off of one pump though, I would probably have at least 2 pumps, 4 tanks on one & 5 on the other or maybe 3 pumps, 3 tanks on each.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I LOVE my sponge filters & my boys seem to like them. Two of my males I tend to find resting on their filters. I have 2 10g tanks running on one pump which works great so long as I don't plan to move either tank.I think the pump is a 40 because I tend to go double my tank size. I don't know if I would run 9 filters off of one pump though, I would probably have at least 2 pumps, 4 tanks on one & 5 on the other or maybe 3 pumps, 3 tanks on each.
So I would use 3 pumps for 10 gallons each? (each tank is a three gallon and if you use double then a pump for 10 gallons for the 3 would be what I want?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #4 
Tolak

Your're looking for 1 lpm for each sponge. Each watt the pump uses is equal to 1 lpm give or take depending on the water depth. Find a pump in the 8 to 10 watt range & some gang valves, plan ahead for future tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bettas View Post
I did try the i10's and the flow goes straight down and pushes the particles away where the intake is. Dumb setup for this filter. It's ashame too cause really they would have been perfect.
No wonder! I always puzzled at why I was the only who had trouble keeping floating plants, everyone just says that the filters push them all into a corner, not the case for me. I have that filter and it always pulled the plants towards it and then pushed them downwards, the plants would float back up and this would repeat unitl it got wedged into between or underneath something. It's extremely annoying. It never occured to me that this was just the design flaw of my filter...

Sorry that wasn't too related, just wanted to say!
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #6 
Tolak

OK, back from work, on an actual computer instead of my primitive flippy phone. I see from your introductory topic that you do plan on expanding, and perhaps breeding. I would plan ahead for that, looking at one of my usual suppliers, Ken's Fish has a couple things that will get you going in the right direction. The Supreme AP20, which is basically a relabeled Pondmaster 20, will easily run 20 sponges, brine shrimp hatchery & so on, a real good starting point for the smaller breeder; Supreme AP-20 Air Pump

For air distribution, this 18 outlet manifold not only is made well, it's really a nice showy piece of gear being all chromed; 18 Outlet Distribution Manifold

This along with some sponge filters should get you set up really well, I have the Pondmaster 20 as a backup for my fishroom, as well as one of the 12 outlet manifolds in the event I need to set up some tanks outside the fishroom. Ken is a reputable supplier, that pump has been standard fishroom equipment for years.

Another good supplier is Jehmco; JEHMCO Main They offer items for the more larger scale fishroom, and have been a reliable supplier for many years.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 
love4bettas

Tolak,
Thank you so much for some much info. You are really an expert here. I love the looking ahead idea and think this is the right thing to do. It just feels right. Thank you very, very much. Lyn
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #8 
Tolak

Oh any time, we're all here to share & learn. I don't know if I'd wear the expert moniker, to me an expert is someone the professionals go to if they have an issue. Semi pro maybe, as I do make a bit of money on the side with aquatics, but it isn't my main income, at least not yet.

I've always believed in having a backup plan for most everything in life, this includes aquatics. Some research & planning costs little other than some time, and helps ensure the results you desire.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
Oh any time, we're all here to share & learn. I don't know if I'd wear the expert moniker, to me an expert is someone the professionals go to if they have an issue. Semi pro maybe, as I do make a bit of money on the side with aquatics, but it isn't my main income, at least not yet.

I've always believed in having a backup plan for most everything in life, this includes aquatics. Some research & planning costs little other than some time, and helps ensure the results you desire.
lol. I'd love to make a bit of money on the side with aquatics. What do you do to make money with your fish? I just collect them and spend my money. I've never been able to keep money when it comes to my babies.

After your post, I decided to go out to my LFS and just look around. I got some really good ideas from this board with filters and tanks I already had. I knew the filters I had had too much current for the bettas. Came here and read posts about baffles and using filter media to slow down the current. I didn't have to spend a dime and decided to use what I already had. It took one entire day (today) but it was so worth it. All 10 tanks came out perfect. I am really happy with all of them. I love this board. If it weren't for the "experts/pros" like yourself, I would have spent a ton of money. Now I have money to buy maybe another betta or two. lol. I'm actually looking at little girls now.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #10 
Tolak

I breed & sell angels, 20 tanks out of 30 running ATM. I also sell live blackworms & dry food, most of this at regional swaps & auctions, or for local pickup. Aquatics slows down for the summer, so I don't pull spawns, concentrate more on future pairs & fishroom upgrades. Once it picks up in the fall I'll be selling around 150 angels every weekend, 5-10 pounds of dry food, 25-50 pounds of blackworms at swaps, which are almost monthly. I average 25 pounds of worms every 10-14 days without these events, not quite enough to equal my day job, running press for a commercial printing outfit, but I'm working on it.

Another trick for HOB filters is taking a 1 liter plastic bottle, cutting off the ends, slitting it lengthwise & clipping it over the output of the filter. This deflects the flow to the sides & more horizontal, rather than straight down, eliminating much of the turbulence. The sponges you have set up work just as well, I've seen folks tie a small piece of driftwood with fishing line to the output, if it's paid for & available there's countless ways of making things work.