Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #1 
Suzi

Single white spot on betta's lip

I will start by saying that I am not a fish person. My 10-year old daughter got the betta at a school carnival and now I do my best to keep it healthy and happy. We got him in the end of January and he's been fine so far. We went on vacation for three weeks and left him with my mother-in-law and came home Saturday to find the tank quite cloudy and there was lots of algae (I assume) on the rocks under the feeding hole. Sigh. I assume she dropped four food pellets in there every day and every evening without removing what he didn't eat. I noticed a white speck on his lip, it looks like an opaque white bubble (I have a picture to post). I brought him home and removed him from the tank immediately (into heated, chlorine-treated water). I cleaned the entire tank out and put him back in his home in the morning. He seems to swim fine, he is fairly active, he still races to the front of the tank and puffs his gills when I feed him. But he eats the pellet and spits it out - almost every time. He went from his usual of eating 3-4 pellets am and pm to I think MAYBE 3-4 pellets since Saturday. Of course, he eats blood worms just fine.

So...here are the tank/fish specifics:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetreBetta mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? am and pm, 3-4 pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% every 3-ish weeks. I change it when I notice any algae or cloudiness
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle StartRight with Allantoin

Water Parameters: N/A
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Single white pustule on his lip
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? spits out almost all food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Saturday but likely started when he was being cared for by another family member
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put in 1tsp melafix last night.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue

He is not his normal, happy, wiggly self. He used to beg for food and now he races to the pellet and "attacks" it but he spits it out almost every time. And I don't know how long this has been going on since we were out of town for so long.

Despite my best efforts - and lots of money - we have seen the demise of two other bettas won at school carnival in years past. I can't let the poor fish suffer, I thought this time I'd turn to a betta board to find some help. This betta has been so entertaining and we've all grown rather fond of him. Even though he's a fish.

Pics of fish:

Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #2 
Suzi

And...thanks in advance for any insight someone might be able to offer. I've looked at tons of pics online and to me, nothing looks like this single white bubble on his lip.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #3 
Suzi

Just this morning I gave him blood worms and he devoured them. Then I thought to try peas and he attacked it like he was starving (which he probably is).

Do bettas suddenly get finicky and stop eating their usual food?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4 
Suzi

No one has any suggestions?

I'm still trying to feed him and he's still not eating pellets. I assume he will starve himself? It's sad because he looks so desperate and I don't know what to do to help him. I hate watching fish die a slow death but I don't have the heart to flush him while he's still swimming.