Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #1 
nav2008

single female in 30 gallon tank...? is it ok

I am cycling my 30 gallon (or 29 gallon... i cant remember) and it has 1 huge cave and im getting 2 big silk plants for it. my female is starting to grow and she is still in her .5 gallon bowl, can I put her in a tank that size by herself... actually with 2 ghost shrimp... ? i was going to get 1 other female but even though they would have plenty of hiding room and my current female is very peacefull i would worry about fighting too much...
any ideas or suggestions?
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

yes you can put a male betta fish with any tropical fish that doesnt have big flashy fins, and enjoys company. yes bettas will do great with shrimp, you can even fill up the tank a little more with somthing like tetras. just be sure to have a few plants in there and hiding places for the betta.
But some bettas decide that they like to live alone. he might kill your other fish so you have to put him in there and see if he acts agressive at all. if so take him out.

But you cant put a femal and male betta together. they will either kill each other or mate.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #3 
nav2008

its just 1 female, no males. im going to add more females but not right away.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #4 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2008
its just 1 female, no males. im going to add more females but not right away.
oh okay you can have females together. i would just reccomend getting a few females (like 4 or 5) bcuz apparently they arnt as agressive in packs. but i dont have experience with females though
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #5 
nav2008

alright thanks :) i was not sure how many i would need because I heard soem were agressive... i think my mom could handle me getting 3 more. will she be ok alone for like 3weeks while they go through quarentine? shes alone now but its a much smaller area... i think she would be ok. the ghost shrimp are with my more peacefull male in a 2 gallon tank, they annoy him i think (one likes to taunt him, letting him get really close then when he tries to bite, it darts away) the other one is fine... they have hiding places so were good. He eats all the food before they can get any though. will they be ok? sorry for all the questions lol.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #6 
4nana

Love seeing pictures of bettas

Just got my betta-he is beautiful and alot more entertaning than expected. What would be the first sign that he is sick?
so far everything is going good. I did learn that the water should be
tepid . Do I need plants in the bowl?
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #7 
nav2008

you would probably get more responses from posting your own question, but there are several signs depending on what is wrong with it, heres what i know of, look for bloating, pineconing (scales sticking up) lethargy, little white dots, gold flecks, loss of appetite (first few days in new home do not count) receding tail (black or red edging) gasping at surface... ect. if you notice one look it up and it should be fairley easy to figure out whats wrong... especially if theres more than one symptom. what size is your tank/bowl? the smaller it is the more frequent water changes you need, and if you can, bettas enjoy resting on silk and some live plants. keep the water stable in the high 70s if you can also