Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #1 
tlatch89

Water changes?

Hi I'm new here, I posted one thread in the intro section.

Setup:
I have a 3 gallon tank, whisper filter & air pump, LED light, whisper heater (78 degrees), and of course a male betta fish (edward).

I have had the fish and tank for 2 weeks now. I've done 2 30% water changes, and 1 90% water change. The reason I did 90% is because I didn't want completely new water for the fish and bacteria.. stuff... If I'm doing it wrong please correct me. (Water is treated before and after changes)

Question:
I'm semi lazy and have read a few things saying 100% water change every week if the fish is in less than a 5 gallon tank (yahoo answers). Wouldn't that shock the fish too much? It just seems more harmful doing a complete water change every week versus a percentage.

Thank you and any tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by tlatch89; 05-08-2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: sideways picture.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

Don't know the answer but your tank is very, very pretty.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlatch89 View Post
.... It just seems more harmful doing a complete water change every week versus a percentage.
I, as well as many other experienced keepers would agree. That's one reason "cycling" is so often recommended. A cycled tank also consistently provides the lowest possible ammonia and nitrites for your fish's safety.

See the stickies and other tutorials on the nitrogen cycle.

Yes, a 3gal tank can be cycled safely and with stability.

Last edited by Hallyx; 05-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 
tlatch89

Hallyx, thanks for your reply. I have read the stickies and am stuck with the fish-in-tank method. Like I said i've done partial water changes. I don't have anything to measure the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the water. Is this neccessary?

I read the stickies, i am assuming i will not have to do a 100% water change for a long time, assuming the tank is cycled. Can i just stick to treated 25-50% weekly water changes?
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #5 
Mr Degausser

It can take up to 4 weeks (sometimes longer) to get a tank properly cycled. But once it IS cycled, you rarely have to do a 100% water change (if ever).

However, since you're in the middle of cycling your tank, it would be helpful if you got the API Master Liquid Test Kit (less than $20 on Amazon) so that you can keep track of your water parameters.
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Like Mr D says, a test kit is very important to keep track of your parameters. Even after the tank is cycled, it's worth it for the peace-of-mind.

You can fake it in a larger tank, but for smaller ones....

Floating plants and fast-growers will also help reduce the risk.

With no 100% changes, it's less work, yes. But more important is the health and safety of the fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 
kimt

I have a betta in a filtered 3 gallon. I do 2 50% water changes per week and substrate cleaning with one of the water changes each week. I follow oldfishlady's recommendations per the sticky on this forum.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Here is the sticky for water changes from the Oldfishlady, I also follow them for my 5 gallon .

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 
sunlight

sorry guys but i don't think that 100% water changes is unhealthy. If you acclimate your betta right way it not stressful at all. I have 4 bettas. A few of my bettas are 3.5 and about 4.5 and with 100% water changes i never had any problems nor did they got sick yet.

Last edited by sunlight; 05-10-2013 at 12:40 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #10 
iceyrose

Good luck
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote