Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 
BeansJDS

Funny story about thermometer

So, I bought the Top Fin floating glass thermometer which I think is the best, the first one I bought for my 1.5 gallon tank works much better than the black strips I bought for my 5 gallon. So, I bought another one for my 5 gallon. The only difference was the suction cup to hold it was black instead of clear.

Well, as soon as King Harold our royal blue CT betta saw it in his tank, he literally flipped out! He would jump on it, attack it, race at it all while flaring the whole time. It was something alright. Needless to say, I switched it with the other one with a clear suction cup and King Harold was totally cool and happy, and fortunately my betta that had the clear cup thermometer had NO reaction to the new one with the black suction cup... go figure.

Either way, its a good lesson to always watch those bettas, they have such personalities! And, all different in little ways as different as their colors can be.

Now, if only I can get my 1.5G acrylic tank to be a consistent 78-80 degrees rather than the 5-10 degree swing it does during the day and night which ranges from 75 to 85. I might need to just put in a Hydor adjustable 25w that everyone thinks works great. My other 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon are finally consistent but I see how hard it is for the smaller tanks (i.e. why 2.5g and greater is just better). I have a baby betta in the 1.5G.
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah baby betta's definitely need a constant temp.

But that's funny! I notice that my boy Rembrandt hates the color blue while Ditto hates the color red, can't stand it! it's really amazing that they recognize different colors and actually like or dislike them too! One of my blue dragon scales, Jewel she loves red though, she stares at my red girl Cherry for a long time and then loves when the thermometer is next to her (she's in QT right now) because of the red stuff on the bottom of it. So cute
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #3 
BettaPrincess13

Proves more that Betta Fish do have unique personalities lol when I first decided to get fish I was set on getting a fancy goldfish and the pet store associate advised that they are hard to take care of and need large tanks and all and recommended Betta Fish. I thought on it for a while cause they looked so boring and sick in those cups. finally I decided I wanted one and I don't regret it at all. I ended up loving Bettas more. And when put in the right tanks with adequate heating etc. their very entertaining I love them so much they make my day xD

My Betta loves the heater and the thermometer. he first day he saw it he would swim into it moves back and swim into it again like he was going to go through it somehow xD at night when he sleeps he goes up to the thermometer he loves the black suction cup on it I guess because it covers his eyes from the nightlight in my room at night so he can sleep. if its not that its the heater that also has black suction cups so I guess thats why xD I have yet to see him hate any colors though
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #4 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansJDS View Post
Now, if only I can get my 1.5G acrylic tank to be a consistent 78-80 degrees rather than the 5-10 degree swing it does during the day and night which ranges from 75 to 85. I might need to just put in a Hydor adjustable 25w that everyone thinks works great. My other 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon are finally consistent but I see how hard it is for the smaller tanks (i.e. why 2.5g and greater is just better). I have a baby betta in the 1.5G.
Careful of those. I don't know if the one I got was defective in some way or what, but a month or so ago it started shooting the temp up in my tank. After coming home to find my tank well over 85 degrees (and the heater still heating... it was set to 79) and my fish not looking so happy, I had to make a quick run to Petsmart to grab a new heater. I'm not a huge fan of the Top Fin heaters (I have two of them in my 2.5 gallon and 3 gallon), but at least they had not been boiling my fish! They are bulky and unattractive, though. I miss how small the Theo was, but I would rather have happy, healthy fish than a small heater lol.

Isn't it funny about fish and their personalities? I changed up some of the plants in my 3 gallon during a water change one time and my crowntail spazzed out when he noticed. I had to rearrange the leaves until he stopped freaking out hahaha!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

In smaller tanks you need to set the temp down to the lowest setting and work your way up. The problem is that it's over compensating so it thinks it's heating at 79 but in reality it's way over. That's why it's important to have a thermometer.

A 25 Watt will be fine but you need to test it in a bucket of water over night first and then when you do put it into the tank, set it at the lowest temp and kick it up a notch until it registers on the thermometer and then keep an eye on it for the next 24 hours and you should be set.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 
BeansJDS

Hahahaha. Thanks everyone. Finally, have a stable 80 degrees. Thanks for the help.
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote