Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #1 
AmyMarie

New Betta owner-something is wrong

Hi everybody. I need some help. My son really wanted a fish tank for his 3rd birthday. So I bought a book about fish and read it. We got him a three gallon tank, with one betta in it. I filled it with conditioned water and let it run for over 24 hours before we put the betta fish in it on Sunday. Yesterday (Tuesday) I noticed that the end of his tail fin was rimmed with black. There is more black today and the fin in front of the black looks a little translucent. Is this fin rot? Or something else? What do I do to treat it? I've never had a fish tank before, so I'm a complete newbie. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Please help me save my son's fish!

Thanks,
Amy
AmyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 
Minnieservis

That does sound like fin rot.

Here is what I copied from the thread on treatments:

•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

Good luck! :)
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3 
AmyMarie

Thank you! I did manage to take some pictures, do you think I should post them?

Also, the man at the pet store said not to do water changes, as that would just stress him out. Do you think that's a good idea or a bad one?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 
Minnieservis

Definitely post pictures. Water changes are definitely necessary especially when dealing with a sick fish. If you can, fill this out it will help everyone know what's going on :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 
AmyMarie

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Our home is about 72 degrees. No thermometer, no heater
Does your tank have a filter? Under-gravel filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? An air stone
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 in the morning, three at bedtime, but havenít seen him eat since we got him on Sunday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I havenít yet. Just got him 4 days ago
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I added water conditioner to the new aquarium over 24 hours before I added our fish.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a black rim that appeared on his tail yesterday. Looks worse today.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No. he is still swimming and very active. He seems happy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Havenít done anything yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Donít know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Donít know. But we got him 4 days ago.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 
Minnieservis

Ok well first, you definitely should buy a heater, an ideal temp for a betta tank is 78-80 degrees, and that will help with the healing of his fins. To make water changes easier you may want to buy a small critter keeper, which is what I've done for my betta with fin rot. I also would recommend the API stess coat +, it acts as a water conditioner and will help heal his fins.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
AmyMarie

So do you think it's fin rot? Is that what it looks like? How are you treating your betta's fin rot? And is it helping? The man at the pet store recommended Melafix. Have you ever heard of that?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 
Kithy

Most things with -fix at the end are generally believed to be harmful to bettas.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #9 
AmyMarie

Okay. Here is my plan of attack. I'm going to a DIFFERENT pet store, because clearly, this one doesn't know what it's doing. I'm assuming this is a mild case of fin rot and am going to try using the aquarium salts. I also plan to purchase a heater and a a water test kit. Do I need anything else? Is that the right thing to do? Any more advice??? I sure appreciate all the help. And I'm sure my little boy does too!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 
Minnieservis

Definitely buy the stress coat +. Also in my experience most pet stores don't know proper betta care. I'm treating my betta differently because he has popeye as well. It definitely does look like a mild case, warm water, frequent water changes and stress coat might help for now, you could also try the salt :) good luck!