Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #1 
Megara

Is my betta Injured???

SO i was just giveing my one betta breakfast...And he was very excited...He whipd around and i think bit a peice of his own tail off..it sank to the bottom...I have bettafix...for torn tails and whatnot...should i put some in..is he hurt now???

Last edited by Megara; 05-09-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Megara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
shellieca

Unfotunately on this computer I can't see the pic but based on your description he should be fine. Fins get nipped & ripped all of the time & grow back. DO NOT USE MELAFIX . . . it has an ingredient that can coat the Bettas labrynth organ & kill him. Keep an eye out for fin rot or any other problem but he should be fine so long as the water is clean, warm & conditioned with regular water changes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He'll be fine :) Just watch out for the edges going black or grey, that's a sign of finrot. But otherwise you can get something called StressCoat, it's a conditioner like what you are using everytime you change your Betta's water. But it has aloe in it to heal the fins quicker, if you use that he'll start growing his fins back.

But the most important thing to do is keep his water clean and warm. So if you've got a heater that's one thing down! And then just keep up on your regular weekly water changes. What size tank is it?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 
Megara

thankyou SOOO Much for the Reply!!!...He does have a Heater, he is in a 3 gallon tank all by him self...i do a partial water change mid week useing a turkey baster to remove his waste from the bottom and replace with fresh warm conditioned water. And a FULL change at the end of the week. Iv got two betta boys currently.(the one in a 3 gallon tank and one in a 5 gallon tank..NO Bowls HERE!!!.I adore them!!!
Megara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 
Viva

Hehe, what a silly betta getting so excited that he BIT his own tail! He will be fine as long as his water stays clean and warm - which it sounds like it is! You will see clear fin regrowth within a fews days I'd say. If the edges start turning black he could be developing fin rot from bacteria, but if he's in good condition healthwise he should be totally unaffected.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote