I have three planted tanks, each one with various types of cryptocorynes. They were all set up at different times and have different substrates: the most established tank has eco-complete and has a filter, the 5.5 gallon has sand with no filter and the other, newest 10 gallon tank is an NPT with a filter. All the plants including the crypts in the oldest 10g tank are doing well, there's a lot of red wendtii and 2
However, within a few days after a water change without my even noticing, all the crypts in the 5.5 gallon tank
are now "melting" away. The pontederifolia is now just a stem:
And the crypts I got from Petco, which are short and small-leafed (not sure what kind it is, perhaps green wendtii?) melted within a couple days I think:
The spiralis is still hanging in there but has yellowed considerably and one leaf is clearly disintegrating:
All these plants were doing very well and the spiralis had to be cut back because it was growing so fast. The ludwigia and java moss in the 5.5g are still doing well...it's just the crypts that are suffering.
Now in the newest 10g NPT the same thing is happening. The spiralis seems unaffected in the NPT but the 3 pretty pontederifolia I had in there are almost gone now: :(
The spiralis is still looking green and healthy in there though:
Again all the other plants like the ludwigia and dwarf sagittaria are doing well in the NPT, just as the crypts were not a week ago. All plants were green and growing :(
Basically the reason for this post is to get some insight as to why this is happening, and how I can prevent it in the future. I use no fertilizers and I believe I did a water change about 3 days before the crypts started "melting" away. I use Seachem Prime and some Stress Coat to treat the water.