Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #1 
nav2008

HELP! water is 65degrees and wont get warmer (with heater)

My females were scedualed to make the move from small seperate containers/bowls to a 30 gallon heated filtered cycled aquarium with lots of hiding spots. how long does it take for a heater to warm the water up? the light is on saying its working and heating, i put it in an hour ago when the water was 65 degrees and it still says 65 degrees. right now because of the heat and smaller water areas their tanks are reading at 84 degrees (is that ok?) i only use heaters in the winter because in the summer the room they stay in is set to stay above 75 degrees at all times but its really hot out and i left the windows open today. whoops. how do i get their tanks to cool down and the new one to heat up?
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #2 
onefish2fish

aim a fan at them to cool down, and how many watts is your heater? sounds like you dont have one strong enough
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #3 
nav2008

got a fan going, heater was used for this tank a cuouple years ago.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #4 
Little-Fizz

knowing the wattage will help. Try putting the heater somewhere where the current from the filter carries the heat through the water better.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #5 
nav2008

I cant move it, its got a spot it sticks through in the lid of the tank. the tops supposed to be sticking out right? and its still 65 degrees, i set it at 83-84 to see if it wuold heat up faster. where does it say the wattage?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Both of those depend on the brand. What brand is it? The wattage should be written *somewhere* on the body of the heater.

Are you sure your thermometer's working? Have you checked them temp with multiple gauges?
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #7 
nav2008

i wont have a spare thermomiter until tomorrow but the outside of it is glass and the others are plastic i dont know if that has anything to do with it? it feels colder on the outside than them but its in my basement which is at least 10 degrees cooler than the rest of my house....

i cant read a brand or wattage because of the direction it is fasing and the filter blocks the veiw of that side. when i first put it in i reached in and it was hot to touch, but on the highest setting which i think is almost 90 degrees for some reason (do any fish live in that warm of water?) so i lowered it to 79, then up to 83ish when it was not heating up.

going to a betta breeders tomorrow so i will stop and get a thermomiter on the way... i have one of those stick on the outside kind on one of my smaller tanks... can i take it off and put it on this one? or would it not stick anymore?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 AM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Those ones that stick to the outside are useless...you need one that goes on the inside to get any kind of decent reading.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #9 
nav2008

im getting a new thermomiter today because its reading 65 degrees but you can feel the water is much warmer than that (65 is the air temp down there) and the heater is working.

im wondering if i can put one of my females who is about 1/2 the size of the others in with them? she is more active than the others but im not sure if she wil get beat up because of her size?