Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #1 
choomster

Unhappy Chunk of head missing

Hello all, I am a many time visitor, but first time poster. I hope that perhaps someone could provide insight as I feel like I have exhausted all options.

I'd like to introduce you to Freckles, who got his name because of these cute little black spot pigmentation on his lower fin.

About 1 months ago, I noticed that he got this strange cotton tuff on the side of his head right behind the eyes. After I moved him from a bowl to a filtered tank. It got big really fast so I transferred him back to a bowl, and treated it with Quick Fix, which seemed to dealt with the growth. However, with the tuff gone, it revealed that the scales were gone too, and it looked like a little hole, as if the flesh had been eaten away. He had trouble swimming/floating. Seemed like a struggle to get himself up for air. It didnt seem like he could see his pellet food, so i'd sink frozen bloodworms for him to eat (thawed!). Eventually started eating pellets again, though he struggles to aim his mouth properly and often misses. But still spent most of his time at the bottom of his tank.

Two days ago, I didn't see any fluff, but the hole seemed to spread around his eyes a little. Honest, if morbid description: It looked a little shredded. That side of his head seemed swollen. His eyes are still moving so I assume he can still see from it. But he no longer using the gills on that side of the head.

I don't know what to do anymore. Its been a long time, and he doesn't seem to have any improvement. I've currently put him is a salt water bath. However, I am considering euthanizing him. I hope that someone can provide advice. Either to help cure, if that is even possible now, or a humane way to end it... :(
____

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76-80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and Frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% or 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator and a little aquarium salt

Water Parameters: I haven't tested recently, and will skip this section :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Faded colours, faded scales, swollen side of head, with a chunk missing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, tries to eat pellet but cant seem to orient himself right to aim properly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Pimafix, aquarium salt, Quick Fix (not all at once)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Definetely seemed to have more problems than my old fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? unsure, bought a year ago, although he seemed older than other fishies
Attached Images

choomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 
myotherfishisabetta

oh man thats a pretty gruesome injury , what kind of decorations do you have in there? are there live plants or plastic , do your tank decorations have any rough edges or small holes that he would try to fit through and possibly snag himself on.
myotherfishisabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 
choomster

Nothing. I felt like the worst owner doing that, but I removed all the decorations, stones and resting plastic leaves a little before the first injury. Nothing had sharp edges but I was worried that it was making it eaiser to harbor whatever was attacking him, and I could never clean it well enough :(

So no...poor Freckles lives in a heat bowl with a slitted lid to keep dust out...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 
myotherfishisabetta

well ok , i know its frustrating and it can seem like a lost cause but keep the water clean and start using aquarium salt from a petstore in your water it helps with injuries like these. i would tell you to use almond leaves but ive never used them. and im not advising the use of chemicals cause my beloved vieltail Fuego died after i used a chemical. so salt in the aquarium and use a filter please, you must keep the water crystal clear, you don't have to get an expensive one filtering 200 gallons an hour, a current can stress your betta out, i use a little 3gal filter on my 10gal and it works perfectly. i just change the filter a lot sooner
myotherfishisabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #5 
choomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myotherfishisabetta View Post
well ok , i know its frustrating and it can seem like a lost cause but keep the water clean and start using aquarium salt from a petstore in your water it helps with injuries like these. i would tell you to use almond leaves but ive never used them. and im not advising the use of chemicals cause my beloved vieltail Fuego died after i used a chemical. so salt in the aquarium and use a filter please, you must keep the water crystal clear, you don't have to get an expensive one filtering 200 gallons an hour, a current can stress your betta out, i use a little 3gal filter on my 10gal and it works perfectly. i just change the filter a lot sooner
I will look into finding a new filtered tank then. Unfortunately, it seems like the current tank i have with a filter is cursed. My last fish committed suicide a week after being moved into it (jumped out of a tiny hole in the lid), and this fish always had issues with it (fin rot, murky water, and stress from current).

Oh boy, my biggest fear is that he will heal a little but live out his life suffering.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #6 
choomster

Unhappy

Just wanted to follow up.

I brought Freckles into the aquarium store I got him from last year. The guy believed that he got Hole in the Head. He said that even with treatment, the rate of success would be low, and Freckles would live out his life crippled without that gill.

We've decided to euthanize. I'm so sorry Freckles :(

Thank you everyone who advised, I really really appreciate it~