Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #11 
caliroze

Thanks Flashygrrl. It is strange that Shimmer is great and Sparky is not. I did a 100% water change with tap water and Prime conditioner added.

Normally I did PWC once a week. When Sparky stopped eating a week ago, that's when I changed his water 3 times in one week. I could do a complete water change once a week if it would be better. I'm confused at all the different advice given about water changes for one-gallon tanks. Some say complete, some say only partial, but when I do only partial, the yuck builds up and floats back into the water then settles down again. I thought the cleaner the better, but then was told only PWC should be done.
caliroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #12 
Flashygrrl

Having a 1 gallon tank makes it hard to do a partial, if you can manage then great but you'll end up having to do it like 4 times a week. Can you consider upgrading to a 2.5 for each of them? Then you only have to do partial twice a week.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #13 
okiemavis

There's a benefit and a downfall to both- which is why you're hearing conflicting advice.

The PWC has the downfalls you mentioned.

The full water change is much more stressful on the fish as you must move & net him every time, and the water parameters probably change quite a bit when you move him back.

If you can keep the water quality up, stick with PWC's.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #14 
caliroze

Would 50% PWC for one-gallon once a week be OK?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #15 
caliroze

I am going to get Sparky some medication ASAP. Has anyone had experience with Hikari Betta Revive Health Aid? I found it at the Petco web site but am going to the store Monday. It has a 100% customer satisfaction rating and treats and prevents a variety of maladies. I think Sparky is sick. He will not eat at all, hasn't eaten for a week, stays on the bottom of the tank or was vertical hanging yesterday, and does not show off his fins, just swims to the top of the tank periodically for a breath and then goes back down.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #16 
Flashygrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliroze
Would 50% PWC for one-gallon once a week be OK?
No.

I know of people who have used it and said it works but I'm not sure it's the safest of combined meds to use.

Ingredients: Water, neomycin sulfate (<10%), methylene blue (<0.5%), proprietary polymer mixture, buffers, EDTA, malachite green chloride (<0.01%), cyanocobalamin, electrolytes.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #17 
caliroze

I already got it and put Sparky in a new water change with the drops. I wouldn't know one medication ingredient from the other. If it doesn't work, what would you recommend? The Hikari says to treat for 3 to 7 days with new water change each day.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 AM   #18 
Flashygrrl

I know bettababy's always suggested the meth blue and Fungus Elmi combined to treat it, she says it's the safest and most potent way to go about it. I think it was the meth blue/malachite green combo that she said wasn't totally safe. However, getting the meth blue can be kinda tricky a lot of the time since a lot of stores don't seem to carry it.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #19 
caliroze

Sparky is on day 2 of treatment and I just did his complete water change with new medication drops (and Prime water conditioner) in it. He looks just as miserable as ever. If he doesn't die first and after seven days of Hikari Revive, I'll go to a lfs and see what they have. I am distressed because I don't know how much or if he is suffering. I guess I can only keep on treating him. He hasn't had food in 10 days!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #20 
Flashygrrl

:( I'll be keeping my fingers crossed