Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #1 
jake1515

Best Practice for Male Betta and Platys

Just curious as to the best practice for my ZayZay and a potential platy. I have a 5gal LPT.
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #2 
jake1515

LOL, embarassing, I meant Pleco's to the above. Shows how much I know about fish besides betta's...
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Could you clarify a bit please? What size is his tank? What do you mean by practice?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
JellOh

I'm not sure what you mean by practice... Regardless, you can't keep a platy or a pleco in a 5 gallon with bettas. 5 gallons would be cramped for even just a platy and impossible for a pleco. Even the smallest ones get about 4" and they are all poop machines. Honestly, the amount of waste they produce is unparalleled.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #5 
Fenghuang

+1 JellOh

I really do not recommend a pleco for your tank. Even the smaller species of pleco, like bristlenoses, should be ideally kept in at least a 25-30 gallon tank (some people argue bigger). And the common pleco? Probably three times that. They can get to almost 30 inches long and they grow very quickly as juveniles. They could literally outgrow your tank. They are also territorial and like having an abundance of hiding places, which a five gallon wouldn't be able to provide.

Plecos put so much waste into the water, you'll need to do water changes almost constantly to keep up with them in a 5 gallon fish tank. It would not be good situation for any fish in the tank.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 
RiceFish

Best bet for a 5 gallon would be shrimp or some snails

I have seen many people post this argument and my question is, how long would it take it to grow to 4" +? It certainly won't happen in 2 months or so it's gonna take quite a couple months for a pleco to get full size. A lot of people talk about "outgrowing the tank" but it's going to take time. It doesn't just happen in a day or two. I've seen ppl keep african cichlids in a ten gallon tank until they were big enough to be moved to a bigger tank. Therefore can't ppl place say a pleco temporarily in a 5 gallon and then move it over to a bigger tank later on? Just some food for thought
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

Water quality is the main concern. Yes, young plecos can physically fit into a small tank, but if you take their impact on the bioload into account, they are already too big for the tank. Plecos...poop--pardon the wording--crap ton. Keeping a pleco in a 5 gallon tank, especially with other fish already in it, is going to be so much more trouble than it's worth. Imagine swimming around in toxic waste all the time. That is what it will be like for a pleco and all its tankmates, unless you are performing water changes every other day (or daily).

Also, plecos are actually territorial and like their space and hiding places. In a cramped tank, they can get stressed out. And that leads to illness and aggression problems. Plecos can attack, injure, and even kill other fish.

Plecos do grow quite fast. A healthy juvenile can grow 1-1.5 inches per month (no, it's not overnight, but they can surprise you), not counting sporadic growth spurts. So, you are looking at a pretty big fish fairly soon down the road. I have kept both plecos and cichlids and have experienced this first hand.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 05-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 
RiceFish

Say if you were to place an aquaclear 20 or 50 on a 5 gallon wouldn't that take care of the bio-load? Also, if the pleco is still small and does have hiding places wouldn't it work out? I undersand the the growth part I just want to hear some opinions about the topic :D
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 
erinbirdsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceFish View Post
Say if you were to place an aquaclear 20 or 50 on a 5 gallon wouldn't that take care of the bio-load? Also, if the pleco is still small and does have hiding places wouldn't it work out? I undersand the the growth part I just want to hear some opinions about the topic :D

Why buy a larger filter just to keep a fish for 2-3 months? I think it will be unfair to all in the tank. I know I did not listen when I first set up my 3 gal and bought a Chinese algae eater and after 2 months took him home to put in my 30 gal and in the last 3 months he has trippled in size. I would suggest NOT doing it simply because it is better for the fish to begin in the proper environment.
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 
RiceFish

I see.

Alas most people don't understand this when they go to a pet store and say they have a 10 gallon :/