Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 
chajewski

Please help!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site here, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works.
I have a younger betta, not even a year. He is a double half moon and he is a really dark blue color. I can't get a good picture of him at all, so I have to do my best to describe how he looks.
First off, he has his fins clamped really tightly to his body. He has been like that since Saturday, but he was still acting normal. I thought he did it because I changed him into a bigger tank (3 gallon to a 5 gallon) and added a platy as a tank mate (who has since died). Now since Monday he has gotten progressively worse his color looks very drab instead of the beautiful deep blue, his started getting brown patches on his body, his fins appear to be disappearing but it is hard to tell because they are not fully grown the begin with and he keeps them clamped. Yesterday he began just sitting at the bottom of the tank except for when he came up for surface air and has not eaten. The water quality checked out fine yesterday which is why I was so confused. I added aquarium salt and bettafix to his tank, and he started to swim around more instead of just sit at the bottom, but his overall appearance seems to be getting worse to me. This morning I did a 50% water change, replaced the aquarium salt, turned off the air stone and let the tank temperature increase from 78 to 82. He has received a second dose of Bettafix as of this afternoon. I also used API Stress Coat when changing out the water. I don't have any water readings right now because like a bad aquarium owner I don't have my own. I had the water checked at the pet store by me when I checked yesterday. Now since this morning he seems to be getting white stuff on him, but I am not sure if it is ick or not because it doesn't stay on him, and it is only on the edges of his side fins and around the outline of his body. I notice when he swims that some of it comes off. He is swimming less, but he is now at least using his leaf bed near the surface of the tank. He still hasn't eaten, I've tried his pellets (only one each time I've tried, and took it out when he didn't eat it) and just recently tried a bloodworm but he didn't eat that either. I'm kind of at a loss here and I am not sure what to do with him. I feel like I keep reading a bunch of contradictory information which is frustrating me also.
Tank info:
5 gallon filtered tank, he gets about 8-10 hours of light per day, the filter is set low so there is a very calm current, the temperature is currently 82, as of yesterdays water check at the pet store it was good.
He normally eats 2 pellets in the morning, and 2 blood worms at night, (but he hasn't eaten the past couple of days)

Please help he's such a cute little guy, and I actually bought him for my husband who named him Nightwing and has grown quite attached to the little fella.
chajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #2 
chajewski

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes but it is currently off
Is your tank heated? Yes an under gravel heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's alone, but he had a mate for about 2 days it was a Mickey Platy

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets by aqeuon and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 2 pellets in the morning, and 2 blood worms at night (he has not eaten in 2 days though so uneaten food gets removed, normally he eats all of it)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? The 5 gallon tank was started on Saturday, so I have not done one with the exception of the 50% change I did this morning because of him being sick
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner-API stress coat. Also since yesterday he has add aquarium salt and bettafix

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I do not have the exact specs the water was tested yesterday at the pet store, I don't have my own kit (sorry I will be getting one though. I have never had problems with my other tanks so I never got one)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Described in the original post
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic and not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fin clamp saturday, lethargy monday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Described in the original post
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, but he is still young, his fins haven't fully grown and he is still only about an inch long
How old is your fish (approximately)?See above
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #3 
fiky95

Look, I don't know much about it, but that sounds like ick. Have you tried pointing a flashlight at his body? If you see white specks, then it's very likely ick. Can you see some of it on the glass of the tank?

Well, a platy was prolly not the best idea in a 5gal, I'm afraid. Anyway, sounds like he's been through a lot of stress as well.

Stop using Bettafix, please, it's apparently harmful to them. I know it's confusing, since it's called BETTAfix, but the FIX is what we should be concerned about.

The tank wasn't cycled either, right?

How big are the brown patches? I think a picture would be amazingly helpful if you could get one.:)

God, hopefully somebody who will be making more sense than me will answer soon and your guy will make it. Good luck!
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 
chajewski

We can all thank petsmart and petco for telling me the platy would be a great tank mate.... I actually put the platy in there to protect him from the black skirts in my other tank but that didn't work out so well :-/
As for the tank being cycled, it ran for about 3 hours before Nightwing was put in there and I used the water from his original tank to help set up the new one. I thought it would be a good idea, but I'm not really sure. I used that technique with my other tropical fish and they never had any issues.
I do not see spots on the tank anywhere, also the brown patches are small circles on him in a random array. I have been trying all day to get a picture of him and nothing comes out good enough to actually see what I am talking about
The BettaFix thing is confusing. I see good posts about it and then I see bad posts about it. My sister-in-law had good luck with it with her Betta which is why I tried it, but again I have never had problems with fish before until this guy so I feel kind of lost about what to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
fiky95

Well, you could try to PM somebody (they will ALL hate me for this haha :). Couldn't it be velvet tho? I don't know if you have checked out some pictures online of what it could possibly be?
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #6 
mushumouse

chajewski, the patches are on his body, not his fins? are they really brown or does it look greyish? i'm kind of stumped without seeing a picture. if you have any kind of table lamp or clamp light or gooseneck desk lamp, try shining it into your fish's tank and taking a picture that way maybe. this white stuff could either be a fungus, if it looks kind of cottony, or it could be his slime coat, if it just looks like a white film. it does kind of sound like the latter, but i don't know what to make of these brown spots... i'm just telling you what i've read here so hopefully someone more experienced can help if you still can't get a picture. if it is a slime coat, disease sticky says:
Quote:
Body Slime Infection
•Symptoms: Your betta is covered in a white film. It may just be in a few areas and may rise of the skin a bit. Lethargy, clamped, loss of apetite, may have cloudy eyes.
•Treatment: Body Slime infections or Slime Coat Sloughing are due to bacterial infections. Perform daily 100% water changes. Use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Jungle’s Lifeguard.
also when you have time later, you might want to read the stickies about the nitrogen cycle in the bowls/habitats forum. there is some stuff about running a tank with a filter that could cause you problems down the road, but i wouldn't think it's related to your problems right now since the tank is so new.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #7 
chajewski

mushumouse, it is definitely brown spots/patches on him. The white stuff does look kind of cottony which is why I didn't think it was ick, but I really don't know. I'm using my crappy phone camera which is part of the problem in taking pictures. I am trying to get someone with a better camera so hopefully I can get a picture posted. Thank you for your information!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #8 
mushumouse

ok,cottony usually means either columnaris or a fungus. unfortunately the two are hard to tell apart, but i have heard that fungus has little hairlike strands in it if you look very close and columnaris does not... this other thread is about a fish with the same problem recently, look at the picture and see if that seems like the same kind of thing? if it does, lower your tank's temp to 75-76 degrees asap.
disease sticky on columnaris and fungus:

Quote:
True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
Quote:
Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 
chajewski

Okay, I checked out that post and that is not at all what it looks like. You are probably going to think I am crazy, but I just turned of his tank light and used a flashlight to look at him and the white stuff I was seeing was bubbles!!!!! Aaarrgh!!! and the LED light on the tank made them look white (this would explain why they "fell off" when he moved and why it seemed only on the outline of his body. I seriously feel like I am losing my mind with this fish but thank you for your help. SO with that said the main problem is he seems to be turning brown the spots are now full blown patches on his body, and of course the lethargy, loss of appetite, and clamped fins. I'm trying to get a picture now using the flash light apparently the LED light was affecting the picture too..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #10 
chajewski

Finally got some pictures!!!

One of the pictures where he still looks mostly blue is because of the lighting, the other two pictures are more accurate of how he looks right now.
Attached Images