Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Slightly concerned just because in the last picture, it looks like he may be developing ich. Does he look anything like this in person?

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #22 
Naladari

It looks like he has more than 1 issue.
In the pictures it looks like you have a bit of finrot that is still progressing.
The last picture, like sakura said looks like ich.
He also seems bloated.
In the first set of pictures it seems that he has some sort of body bacterial infection.

Petco's (at least the one in state college PA) Platys all seem to have ich. If you did not quarantine the platy first there is a chance it could have spread to him.
That being said, Ich doesnt kill the fish it weakens his immune system. Parasites need to have a host to survive, so they will never be the direct cause of death per se.

It's very possible that your betta ether had when you purchased or somehow contracted ich (its pretty common). The ich opened up doors for other infections because of the depressed immune system. Leading to other issues like bacterial infections.

Unfortunately multiple infections are way out of my league. I'm sure sakura or MattsBettas or someone like this can help you out.

I really hope your betta gets better.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #23 
chajewski

Sakura8 - No he does not look like that at all. I'm sorry the pictures are so bad. I do think there is more than one thing, but ich doesn't seem to be one.
Naladari - As for the platy, he didn't have ich either, he died because the fish in my other tank kept picking on him so as a last effort I tried switching him to the tank with Nightwing. He seemed okay at first but then completely withdrew and the next morning he died. He was a good two years old though.
chajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #24 
Naladari

If its not ich its most likely bacterial
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #25 
Sakura8

chakewski, okay, I'm glad it wasn't ich. Don't worry about the pics, it's hard to get good photos of these fishies. Then what I thought was ich is probably slime coat and possibly columnaris fuzz.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #26 
Luimeril

i don't see fin rot. :I i see possible CT. without him feeling better and spreading, it's hard to say what his tail type is, but i don't see the tell tale signs of fin rot.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #27 
chajewski

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update, Nightwing does seem to be improving, I have not found any new fuzzy spots, and the fuzzy spots that are there are not as fuzzy anymore. He is more active and eating more also. He seems to be trying to spread his fins a little more, but he doesn't have much to spread. Also, what is CT?
On the down side, my tetra tank now has ich, but I treated it right away and they looked tremendously better overnight!!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #28 
Tikibirds

CT is an abbreviation for crowntail betta.
This is a CT female - basically it means her fins look like the points on a crown
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #29 
chajewski

Hey that looks like Nightwing before he got sick! Even the color! Jeez these pet stores just put anything on containers huh! Not only is he not a he, but he (she) is not a half moon!!! The Petsmart I went to charged more for him (her) because of the half moon. The label was a male twin tail half moon Betta and they estimated him to be under 6 months old.

By the way, he is looking so much better today!!! His fins look so ragged, but he is sticking up what little fin is there which is good right? Tomorrow he is due for the 30-40% water change. He is eating again, but I am still taking it slow with the food because I don't want to over do it with him. Should I keep the temperature at 76? I usually let it go between 78 and 80 F before he got sick.
Thanks again everyone!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #30 
mushumouse

i guess he's more of a batgirl then... :p it does make sense though, that's a very female shaped body. also female bettas will sometimes get horizontal brown/black "stress stripes" when they're sick or stressed out, which might account for some of the dramatic color change in your pictures.thanks for the update, it's good to hear they're getting better! i would leave the temp at 76 until the fuzz is completely gone though. you don't want it to come back.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote